PDA

View Full Version : Is posting NES roms here legal?

Tetris999
September 11th, 2007, 15:26
Read the title, i will say nothing more until someone tells me

VampDude
September 11th, 2007, 15:27
Short answer:

YES!

Tetris999
September 11th, 2007, 15:31
ok then i guess i can share this pack i got then ;) will upload it to megaupload some time tuhday

VampDude
September 11th, 2007, 15:38
Sorry, I misread...

...No, they are illegal.

wraggster
September 11th, 2007, 16:03
Public Domain aka Homebrew Roms are fully legal, any other roms unless the company actually released them as freeware are certainly not

bah
September 11th, 2007, 16:10
Short answer: Not legal here, or anywhere for that matter. Please do not post commercial software or links to it at dcemu.

Long answer: Well, if you're going by RIAA style application of US law worldwide then it certainly isn't legal anywhere.
Realistically if you live in Zimbabwe or somewhere else that essentially tells the west where to go, I cannot see how that could be argued to be true.

In the US, EU, Australia etc it is definitely illegal due to agreements, unless you are referring to PD (Public Domain) ROMs not commercial ones.

Edit: Beaten to it by wraggster :)

cal360
September 11th, 2007, 16:14
No even you should know that by now.

VampDude
September 11th, 2007, 16:22
No even you should know that by now.

Don't forget that Tetris999 is the "original noob" here, he doesn't know anything (except on how to make some cool signatures).

blackrave
September 11th, 2007, 16:56
Don't forget that Tetris999 is the "original noob" here, he doesn't know anything (except on how to make some cool signatures).

Being arrogant, are we? That was unnecessary to say, in my opinion. He never wanted to be called the "original noob" here, and what the heck do you mean about him not knowing anything?

cal360
September 11th, 2007, 17:17
Being arrogant, are we? That was unnecessary to say, in my opinion. He never wanted to be called the "original noob" here, and what the heck do you mean about him not knowing anything?

Why are you being so harsh he was only joking.

VampDude
September 11th, 2007, 17:23
Being arrogant, are we?

Ummm, yeah if that's what you call it. But I call it "FACTS" so get your facts right next time before you make your next post!

That was unnecessary to say, in my opinion.

That's only your opinion.

He never wanted to be called the "original noob" here,

If not, then why did he leave his "original noob" custom title on for so long? He could've changed it back to what it was at any time if he wanted!

and what the heck do you mean about him not knowing anything?

If he knew anything he would've already known that NES "ROMS" are infact illegal.

---

And blackrave, please "shut the hell up" before I report you for trolling/fighting!

Thanks Cal! :)

JKKDARK
September 11th, 2007, 17:40
Download copyrighted material is illegal, don't post anything illegal here please and don't try to upload any rom when you make threads about your generic signature images.
Even my mother knows it's illegal http://209.85.12.234/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Tetris999, you won an award: The Original N00b of The Year

Cap'n 1time
September 11th, 2007, 17:40
I'm actually growing tired of the constant attacking of tetris999. I like to have fun and tease, but personal attacks are a little bit uncalled for. Tetris999, whether you like it or not, is part of the dcemu family. and dont forget, EVERYONE says stupid shit every now and again.

blackrave
September 11th, 2007, 17:42
Ummm, yeah if that's what you call it. But I call it "FACTS" so get your facts right next time before you make your next post!

That last part didn't make much sense. :confused:
But yeah, I'd call it arrogancy.

As I said.

If not, then why did he leave his "original noob" custom title on for so long? He could've changed it back to what it was at any time if he wanted!

No, it's not possible for normal users (get your facts straight!). A site staff changed it unwillingly, and I remember a post from him where he said something like "look at my custom title. Do you think I wanted that?". It was around the time he was banned or so. But let's let Tetris999 comment this himself. I apologize if I'm wrong.

If he knew anything he would've already known that NES "ROMS" are infact illegal.

He should've known that, yes, but it gives you no right to call him a noob and saying he doesn't know anything.

And blackrave, please "shut the hell up" before I report you for trolling/fighting!

Go ahead, report me. I can't see how I am trolling or fighting for defending an innocent offer being called a noob and you saying he doesn't know anything.

I'm not harsh at all, just saying my opinion, which is that that post was unnecessary and with the only purpose to hang out Tetris999.
Doesn't seem like a joke after reading VampDude's comment after yours?

I'm actually growing tired of the constant attacking of tetris999. I like to have fun and tease, but personal attacks are a little bit uncalled for. Tetris999, whether you like it or not, is part of the dcemu family. and dont forget, EVERYONE says stupid shit every now and again.

Too true. Thanks for adding your arguments.

Cap'n 1time
September 11th, 2007, 17:48

Originally Posted by blackrave View Post
That was unnecessary to say, in my opinion.

I share that opinion. Find a way to tease without attacking the poor guy. You threw in the "he makes cool sigs" statement which lightens the load, but still can seem hurtful.

I think at some point everything becomes public domain... at least books and movies do at some point according to US laws. This takes like 75 years or something though. You may not distribute commercial NES roms on our website.

It really was not such a stupid question.

cal360
September 11th, 2007, 17:50
It does seem now that you want to increase the tension in this thread which is not wanted, I don't want a row so leave it at this please.