PDA

View Full Version : Emulators on DC really worth it?

kickasspats
September 12th, 2007, 03:33
ok heres the deal, i hear about people playing emulators on there DC and it would defintely give me something to do with my DC since i dont play it anymore. but i heard that if u use CDs, instead of the GD-Roms, it could damage the laser in the DC. so im asking is it worth it, if it breaks the laser? i mean i have 3 other systems that play emulators so it wouldnt be a hugh deal if i didnt do it but it looks like fun. also is burning dreamcast games the same case? will it destroy the laser too? but i also hear that it is hard to make a bootable CD.

JKKDARK
September 12th, 2007, 03:37
Homebrew stuff will not damage the laser. The problem is if you use backups of official games on CD.
Thisi s really a great console if you want to run emulators ;)

beetroot bertie
September 12th, 2007, 10:40
The emulators are usually very small files compared to full games and once the emu has been loaded into the DC's memory, disc access tends to be infrequent/non existent apart from loading additional games or restarting etc. So the chance of drive/laser wear is minimal.

I would have thought that playing an audio CD theoretically could cause more wear on the laser and the DC has been designed to play audio CDs so I think the odd emu won't hurt.