PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Being Sued for Spying!

cal360
September 14th, 2007, 16:55
Via /. (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/13/2043225&from=rss)

Is MIcrosoft gathering personal information about us?

"Xinhua report that a Beijing University student has sued Microsoft for allegedly gathering personal information via Windows Genuine Advantage. He has demanded a compensation of 1,350 RMB (around US$ 180) and an open apology printed in a national newspaper. The student has accused Microsoft of using WGA to gather information about his computer and himself, rather than solely checking whether or not the installed Windows XP system was genuine. A Microsoft spokesman has declined to speak on this issue and said that the matter is under investigation."

bah
September 14th, 2007, 17:05
What does sony have to do with it?

cal360
September 14th, 2007, 17:07
Sorry my bad I was thinking of what homebrew to put on my PSP whilst posting this.

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 06:59
Via /. (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/13/2043225&from=rss)

Is MIcrosoft gathering personal information about us?

"Xinhua report that a Beijing University student has sued Microsoft for allegedly gathering personal information via Windows Genuine Advantage. He has demanded a compensation of 1,350 RMB (around US$ 180) and an open apology printed in a national newspaper. The student has accused Microsoft of using WGA to gather information about his computer and himself, rather than solely checking whether or not the installed Windows XP system was genuine. A Microsoft spokesman has declined to speak on this issue and said that the matter is under investigation."

It isn't really anything new, Microsoft have been doing this for ages...

...They will just say that it's procedure, and that the student is making it up.

quzar
September 18th, 2007, 13:35
It isn't really anything new, Microsoft have been doing this for ages...

...They will just say that it's procedure, and that the student is making it up.

Actually the WGA collects more information than they ever have before without asking for it. Things like hard drive serial number and stuff even.

The King
September 18th, 2007, 14:38
maibe there aliens that are trying to help our civilization advance alittle at a time and are also keeping track of all of us

hey you never know

Cap'n 1time
September 18th, 2007, 15:50
Actually the WGA collects more information than they ever have before without asking for it. Things like hard drive serial number and stuff even.

Id be interested in seeing a source. I like to be able to point to links explaining why I hate microsoft's business practices.

quzar
September 18th, 2007, 17:31
Id be interested in seeing a source. I like to be able to point to links explaining why I hate microsoft's business practices.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

very near the bottom one of the questions is "what information is collected" it gives most of the items. Wikipedia has a full list that has been augmented via other sources (as well as a wealth of other info on it).

Cap'n 1time
September 18th, 2007, 17:56
The genuine validation process will collect information about your system to determine if your Microsoft software is genuine. The validation tools do not collect your name, address, e-mail address, or any other information that Microsoft will use to identify you or contact you. The tools collect such information as:

* Computer make and model

It would make sense to store that information temporarily so that the computer can configure the drivers necessary, but why store that information on ms servers?

* Region and language setting

Perhaps to determine how well ms products are selling in specific regions or countries. Makes some sense.

* A unique number assigned to your computer by the tools (Globally Unique Identifier or GUID)

To used with your Serial Key to determine how many times you've installed windows? to be dicks? both?

* BIOS name, revision number, and revision date
* Volume serial number

No idea why the hell they would need this information.

quzar
September 18th, 2007, 18:20
all the stuff I said

Basically they record all of that to be able to have a full profile of each individual machine a person is using with windows. But basically they end up knowing the make and model of most all components in your machine, where you are, who you bought your machine from, and have a method for tracking you online as well (MAC).