PDA

View Full Version : TurboGrafx-CD games coming to Wii VC

wraggster
September 14th, 2007, 21:43
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/14/turbografx-cd-games-coming-to-wii-vc/)

Remember when CD technology was the future of gaming, and only the most expensive, cutting-edge systems could handle the awesome power of the laser? Now, even the cheapest, least powerful system on the market can easily emulate these classic games, as will be proven by the imminent release of Turbo-Grafx CD titles Ys I & II and Chou Aniki on the Japanese Virtual Console for 800 Wii points.

While we're excited that the Virtual Console is expanding into the world of optical media (note to Sega: We would not be adverse to a downloadable Sonic CD) So, we have to wonder how the system will handle the larger of these games. After all, a filled-to-capacity CD-ROM can easily dwarf the Wii's puny 512MB of on-board memory, and all those orchestral scores and spoken-word introductions aren't small. Then again, the games that ended up filling discs back in those days were mostly FMV crap, so maybe it's no great loss.

JKKDARK
September 14th, 2007, 23:39
Sega CD games would be better

CoinCollector
September 14th, 2007, 23:47
Sega CD games would be better

Well, now that CD games are on the Virtual Console, we know Sega CD very well may come too! I'd like to see them on the VC too because I've never played one. I've heard they were good, though.

pibs
September 14th, 2007, 23:57
ah thats cool, playing bonks on wii haha
Turbo-Grafx is cool on the wii but if sega cd comes out i hope its on the xbla

ganondorf
September 15th, 2007, 05:44
Hey, does anyone think that theres at least a slim chance that dreamcast games would be downloadable in the future?

The vc is proving itself pretty darn good. With the upcomming downloadable games by indie developers soon to come. I see a great future for the vc.

JKKDARK
September 15th, 2007, 05:50
Hey, does anyone think that theres at least a slim chance that dreamcast games would be downloadable in the future?

GD's had 1GB, I don't think they will add support for consoles with big file sizes

Baboon
September 16th, 2007, 11:53
I would love to see R-type the Complete CD version running on the wii. :)

Fighting Street would also look great seeing as its a direct arcade conversion. :)

soldierblade2k5
September 18th, 2007, 18:44
Lets not forget about modern audio compression technologies. 8 and 16 bit era CD based games ported to the Wii virtcon will most likely use some sort of DRM'd AAC-HE, vastly reducing the overall size of the games. Back in those days, most of the CD's were filled out with sometimes dozens of redbook CDDA tracks. Ys Books 1&2 for the PCE/TG-CD for instance had a little over 30 tracks. Often the actual game data portion (usually stored on track1) was only slightly larger than what you would see on a cartridge. I reckon they'll have games like Ys and Chou Aniki weighing in at 50 MB or less. Comparable to a rather large Neo Geo or N64 title. What I'm most concerned about is whether this will take off in other regions outside of Japan. The PC Engine was HUGE in Asia, but the TG-16 bombed hard in the states and is practically unknown in Europe. If Hudson,NEC,Konami, and Nintendo really loves us yanks, with a little luck we might see Akumajo Dracula Chi no Rondo (Dracula X) .... Naaah, that'll never happen.....