PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim Emulation Questions? Should I get Slim or Normal?

KL316
September 15th, 2007, 02:26
Ok gentleman...perhaps I am a total noob, but I was previously considering getting a GP2X.

However, since there is no physical location nearby (Hong Kong) that i can find to actually buy and pick up the GP2X in person, I am thinking of getting a PSP-Slim tomorrow. (if anybody knows where in hong kong I can actually pick up a GP2X in person, please let me know)

I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to get the PSP-Slim or a normal PSP?

Do emulators already work for the PSP-Slim or are people still trying to crack the firmware?

How well does NeoGeo, Snes, and Mame work on the PSP?

Sorry for the noob questions guys. OTL

DarthPaul
September 15th, 2007, 06:21
You should grab a Normal one.

All emulators work perfectly on the normal one already,except N64. Everything else is neat,including PS1.

Not PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/PS3/360/Wii/DS of course.

Welshboy
September 15th, 2007, 14:59
Why get a normal one? providing he knows someone with access to a homebrew capable phat PSP he could use Pandora?

KL316
September 15th, 2007, 15:10
hm..... sounds interesting....can you explain to me how pandora works? whats phat psp?

jak66
September 15th, 2007, 16:57
phat PSP is the new 'nickname' for normal PSPs (like normal DSs got called DS phat when DS lite was released)

Pandoras Battery (along with a 'Magic Memory stick') is a universal phat PSP unbricker/downgrader.It works by booting the PSP into service mode which loads the ipl from a partition on memory stick and also firmware files from the memory stick. Team M33 used a moddified 'MMS' to install custom firmware on a slim PSP

NoQuarter
September 15th, 2007, 17:23
get the phat if you want to use all of the homebrew,a slim if your patient and don't mind waiting for full compatibility.Besides the slim doesn't have IR.
Personally I'd get the phat.

Welshboy
September 15th, 2007, 17:55
Because everybody uses their infra red port?

one winged angel
September 15th, 2007, 17:58
i would get the phat too cause all homebrew works on it and on the slim only homebrew that is hen compatible(no snes emu with me support for instance)

JKKDARK
September 15th, 2007, 18:30
Yeah I prefer the normal version, if you want homebrew

NoQuarter
September 15th, 2007, 18:42
I use my IR all of the time with my keyboard and for various electronics remotes.

Welshboy
September 15th, 2007, 19:43
I've never used it once?....to be honest it's worth getting for when emulators start making use of the extra ram. And the D-pad revamp means you can actually do quarter circles for games like street fighter.

NoQuarter
September 15th, 2007, 20:44
I gotta say the d-pad on the slim is much better.That was probably my biggest problem with the phat.

mike_jmg
September 15th, 2007, 21:56
This is quite difficult, If you want to play snes games, right now the best emu doesn't work on the PSP slim, there is a port of some version but not the one that works better.

Another thing, you must have an already homebrew capable psp in order to put custom firmware on the slim

So, if you have a friend that has a homebrew capable psp, and you don't mind about the snes (wich is still playable) you should get the slim