PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to PSP - A few amateur questions (downgrading etc)

TheDoman
September 16th, 2007, 14:04
Hi there

It has been a long time since I have owned a portable, or console! But I have decided I'm going to buy the PSP Slim version. It has many games I like... Anyway I need to find the answers to a few questions before I go for it!

First of all, will all the psp related versions, emulators etc (will they work fine on the new slim version?). I want to be able to ripped games (sorry for mentioning this, not asking where to find etc) and wondered how easy it is to play them from a memory stick? Is it just a matter of downgrading the firmware, and easy to do? Also, I will be buying an english model one (so pal) do they play ntsc too? or is this irrelevant :D

Also, on average how much does a game usually take up in space on a memory card. I'm considering a 4gb card, but not sure if to get a few more.

Anyway, thanks in advance. Sorry for these questions, but there is so much info on these forums it confuses me :o

Dlaub25
September 16th, 2007, 15:26
Pal/Ntsc is irrelevent as far as i know. To be able to use emulators youll need a psp phat to make a pandora battery. That will be used to install the custom firmware on the slim. As far as emulators go you will only be able to use the ones ported for the slim. there are quite a few out there.

TheDoman
September 16th, 2007, 16:20
Ok thanks for that info, I'm a little confused about this Pandorra battery.. is this the only way to change the firmware? I can't seem to find the batteries for the psp slim.

xsimmonsx
September 16th, 2007, 16:37
If it was me, I'd wait a while longer to get a slim, as with any new releases theirs always problems with firmware/hardware etc.

The homebrew is also only just starting up with some kernals not yet functioning on the slims, and depending on what you want to use your for, this might create a problem, esp if you're new to the idea, plus with everything new, it'll cost more £££ than the regular.

PM me if you need any more help on other things that you've mentioned.

Dlaub25
September 16th, 2007, 23:31
If it was me, I'd wait a while longer to get a slim, as with any new releases theirs always problems with firmware/hardware etc.

The homebrew is also only just starting up with some kernals not yet functioning on the slims, and depending on what you want to use your for, this might create a problem, esp if you're new to the idea, plus with everything new, it'll cost more £££ than the regular.

PM me if you need any more help on other things that you've mentioned.

I somewhat disagree look at the TA-82 moterboard much more of a pain to use homebrew on. and firmware can be changed. Besides the newest firmware usually has the most exploits and workarounds. If you get one later sony may have found ways to block certain aspects of homebrew on the slim. Still its just my opinion. I do think you made some other good points though