PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to brick a memory stick

hooliganbandit
September 17th, 2007, 01:48
If so, I think I did. When i put the card in the psp the orange light flashes and continually blinks until i take it out, but it doesn't read it. My computer doesn't read it either. Is there anything i can do?

Man
September 17th, 2007, 02:50
Heres your problem, if you bought your memory stick off ebay, then its fake, 99.99% are fake unless you payed over 100$ for a 4 gig, and so on, you may say, "but it worked before" the thing is, is that the components are basically the same, but of a lot worst quality, i had a 4 gig stick last for over a year, then it started to corrode and not work, so i bought another off ebay, and it was fake aswell, but it still works so im good with it. either way, just wait till memory sticks are on sale at your local store and shell out 70-100$ for a real one that will last alot longer.

pibs
September 17th, 2007, 02:59
it could also be corrupted by the looks of it. maybe reformatting it on the psp could do the trick.

Man
September 17th, 2007, 03:08
Try formatting it, but if that doesn't work, then its probably broken beyond repair.

bah
September 17th, 2007, 06:01
If it shows up on your PC then do a full format from there.

If by doesn't read you mean it wont even show up on my computer, and cleaning the contacts doesn't help, then it sounds like man is right. :(

hooliganbandit
September 18th, 2007, 04:04
ya formatting doesn't work and my computer doesn't read it. I'm going to look for official troubleshooting info, but i doubt i'll find anything

Qmark
September 18th, 2007, 04:14
Find an OE/M33 PSP.
Go into Recovery Mode.
Enable USB.
Connect the cable to a PC.
Format the stick via Windows.

hooliganbandit
September 18th, 2007, 04:27
Find an OE/M33 PSP.
Go into Recovery Mode.
Enable USB.
Connect the cable to a PC.
Format the stick via Windows.

just did that... the psp shut off about 10 seconds after enabling usb. nothing shows up on the computer during this time. although, if i do the same tihng without the memory card in the psp, it still shuts off. dunno if thats useful info but...

bah
September 18th, 2007, 08:01
Does the recovery mode give 'better' access to the card somehow?

U can format the stick fully via windows, using the PSP as a memory card reader/writer, with any firmware.
Just put it into USB mode from the XMB.

hooliganbandit: Do you still have your 32mb card or any other memory stick you can test in the PSP to make sure its the card not the PSP?
Or by not working on your computer did you mean you tried it with a seperate card reader and it still didnt work?

If thats the case then the card is either stuffed (or the USB port, have you tried another), or the contacts are really dirty somehow.

EDIT:

....although, if i do the same tihng without the memory card in the psp, it still shuts off. dunno if thats useful info but...

I just took the memory stick out of my psp and put it into USB mode via the XMB and it did not turn off.
The drive even appeared in my computer, but asks me to insert a disc if I try to access it. :)

I'm on 1.5 though, perhaps the custom firmwares turn off for no apparent reason. You would need to get someone with the same custom firmware to test that.

hooliganbandit
September 19th, 2007, 03:39
Does the recovery mode give 'better' access to the card somehow?

U can format the stick fully via windows, using the PSP as a memory card reader/writer, with any firmware.
Just put it into USB mode from the XMB.

hooliganbandit: Do you still have your 32mb card or any other memory stick you can test in the PSP to make sure its the card not the PSP?
Or by not working on your computer did you mean you tried it with a seperate card reader and it still didnt work?

If thats the case then the card is either stuffed (or the USB port, have you tried another), or the contacts are really dirty somehow.

EDIT:

I just took the memory stick out of my psp and put it into USB mode via the XMB and it did not turn off.
The drive even appeared in my computer, but asks me to insert a disc if I try to access it. :)

I'm on 1.5 though, perhaps the custom firmwares turn off for no apparent reason. You would need to get someone with the same custom firmware to test that.

I actually have a memory stick reader built into my computer. That reads my 1g card, but not my 2g card. My psp picks up my 1g too, but when i insert my 2g the orange light flashes rapidly for 20 seconds or so and then flashes less rapidly for.. well for as long as I've left the psp on. So ya, the problem is strictly with the mem card.

Also, the card is definitely legit.

When I connect to usb via the xmb, the same thing happens as when you connect the psp to your computer without the mem card.

Thanks for all the replies btw

Under closer examination, the contacts seem to be slightly scuffed. They each have a line going through the center. This may be normal since my 1g has them too, though they are not as deep.

Gene
September 19th, 2007, 04:43
I actually have a memory stick reader built into my computer. That reads my 1g card, but not my 2g card. My psp picks up my 1g too, but when i insert my 2g the orange light flashes rapidly for 20 seconds or so and then flashes less rapidly for.. well for as long as I've left the psp on. So ya, the problem is strictly with the mem card.

Also, the card is definitely legit.

When I connect to usb via the xmb, the same thing happens as when you connect the psp to your computer without the mem card.

Thanks for all the replies btw

Under closer examination, the contacts seem to be slightly scuffed. They each have a line going through the center. This may be normal since my 1g has them too, though they are not as deep.

If your card is legit, contact the makers of it. All the cards I know of have at least a 1 year warranty. If its more than a year old call them and they may offer you one for a discount, or better yet, repair yours for a fee.

bah
September 19th, 2007, 05:02
Yeah, the card has to be buggered if its not working in 2 different readers and another card works fine in both.

Hope you can get a replacement.