PDA

View Full Version : External harddrive broken need help !!

Man
September 17th, 2007, 11:40
Ok so i bought a brand spanking new 500GB external harddrive, and iv had it for about a week, and i notice one day that it is lying on the floor by my moms computer, and my dad had knocked it off and the firewire port at the back was bent in, and now it wont work, what i was wondering is if i could just buy another external harddrive enclosure and pop the old external drive into it, like take the harddrive out and put it in a new enclosure ?

alexvander
September 17th, 2007, 12:40
im no computer expert but u should be able to i dont see why that wouldnt work

quzar
September 17th, 2007, 14:18
It should work fine. Just make sure you know what interface the drive uses before buying the enclosure.

souLLy
September 17th, 2007, 14:46
as long as the drive itself isn't damaged, yeah

cal360
September 17th, 2007, 15:26
It should work as long as the driive itself isn't damaged badly.

VampDude
September 17th, 2007, 18:30
It should be ok after changing the cases, it's quite easy to do so too :)

Lycan_Ste
September 17th, 2007, 18:37
If its only a week old take it back? I have had mine ages and mine is fooked =(

VampDude
September 17th, 2007, 19:06
I have had mine ages and mine is fooked =(

Why is your Ext.HD f∞ked?

I've got 3 in total (2x 250GB + 1x 80GB), and none of which are f∞ked :cool:

---
Off Topic
---

lol @ the (unusual) word f∞ked :rofl: f∞k f∞k f∞kety f∞k! lmao :D

Lycan_Ste
September 17th, 2007, 19:11
Why is your Ext.HD f∞ked?

I've got 3 in total (2x 250GB + 1x 80GB), and none of which are f∞ked :cool:

---
Off Topic
---

lol @ the (unusual) word f∞ked :rofl: f∞k f∞k f∞kety f∞k! lmao :D

Well it keeps restarting itself but only on my laptop, doesn't do it on my ps3 for some reason, i have had new power leads sent to me aswell and it still does it, i have also formatted my laptop and this does jack. F00ker!

Buddy4point0
September 17th, 2007, 20:49
yea, thats def what i would do.
if its only a week old, just say it was given to u as a gift and apears to be broken and exchange it.

Man
September 17th, 2007, 21:04
I woas thinking of that, but i backed up my ipod onto it and formatted it. so i wouldnt have the files from my ipod. I guess ill just buy a case for it.

VampDude
September 17th, 2007, 21:25
Well it keeps restarting itself but only on my laptop, doesn't do it on my ps3 for some reason, i have had new power leads sent to me aswell and it still does it, i have also formatted my laptop and this does jack. F00ker!

You should try moving the drive to a new case, your Ext.HD's case might (or possibly could) have some kind've internal problem (?)...

...I have a Packard Bell 3500, which doesn't work on my PC. Which the only reason it doesn't work on my PC is because it requires a certain driver (and strangely enough it's not a driver available for Vista), thou it works on the PC running WinXP in the next room. Maybe your laptop needs a driver? Which can be obtained from a few online sources, such as the manufacture of the Ext.HD which the manufacturers should hold drivers for all their products.

Lycan_Ste
September 17th, 2007, 21:31
Ok thats cool i can try its just it was working fine for months and now it just keeps f00king up.

VampDude
September 17th, 2007, 21:34
Ok thats cool i can try its just it was working fine for months and now it just keeps f00king up.

My Packard Bell 3500 worked fine until a Microsoft update a few months back, it seems to be that quite a few devices are getting messed up (whether they're due to Microsoft updates or not).

Lycan_Ste
September 17th, 2007, 23:00
Could be that i might just format my laptop and not install updates then see if it happens again.

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 06:48
Could be that i might just format my laptop and not install updates then see if it happens again.

That would most probably be the solution, as updates don't do as much good as they are supposed to (a reason why I keep minimal data on my PC - I can restore more easily - before owning Vista I restored my PC 4 times after XP updates).