PDA

View Full Version : PSP slim tv out .will it work with "normal" tv?

dgila
September 17th, 2007, 22:23
I found on the internet something called RCA to scart converter.
I think it would work on any tv with a scart conection.
If this works we will be able to play psp games on any tv with the component cable!!!!
I asked on the internet and people says it will work!!! and this "converter" is not very expensive (about 5 €).

kool hAnd G1mp
September 18th, 2007, 01:04
No it won't work. the key being "RCA" to scart converter. It is not a component to scart converter. You can get something that will convert a component signal to RFU or RCA but they are hardly cheap ($500+ http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt3190.shtml ) and really why would you want to run your nice widescreen PSP on an old 4/3 tube TV?

xg917
September 18th, 2007, 01:25
because maybe we dont have high def flat screens like some people do. i would love to play psp on my tv but no sony makes the tv out cables only compatible with high def tvs

kool hAnd G1mp
September 18th, 2007, 01:43
Well, unfortunately this isn't the answer. I run the PSP on a 32" LCD and it looks pretty rough compared to the sweet PSP screen. I can't imagine how lousy it would look letterboxed onto an old CRT.

dgila
September 18th, 2007, 10:57
Here is a image http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/2191YTA13BL._AA160_.jpg

And I attached another

People is always saying that psp would look bad on a big tv.
Did anybody play PSX?? the image was not so bad!! and psx has lower resolution (256 x 224)
than psp!!
I am not rich I dont want to buy another tv!!

My brother has a lcd (not very big I think 17") and ps2 looks very pixelated on it but is OK, psp should look similar

kool hAnd G1mp
September 18th, 2007, 15:16
Ah, that will work, except here's another problem...
The PSP doesn't display games at full screen through component, infact without picture zoom (which computer monitors or tube TVs don't have) the picture fills only the center of your screen. meaning that the picture will likely be in a tiny box in the middle of your screen. Buy one and post some pics. Good luck with it.

Nocuddle
September 18th, 2007, 17:46
PSP Slim -> PC's TV/video Capture Card -> PC's TV Out -> TV.

:D :D :D

dgila
September 18th, 2007, 20:48
Ah, that will work, except here's another problem...
The PSP doesn't display games at full screen through component, infact without picture zoom (which computer monitors or tube TVs don't have) the picture fills only the center of your screen. meaning that the picture will likely be in a tiny box in the middle of your screen. Buy one and post some pics. Good luck with it.

What :( no full screen :mad:
I saw a video showing the XMB on a tv and they say there are two "modes" one is full screen and the other is the tiny box you say, I thought it was the same for games.
Then I'll wait for a custom firmware to solve the problem :rolleyes: .
If I try this I'll post.

I live in Spain and here is impossible to find the cable
maybe next month xD

kool hAnd G1mp
September 18th, 2007, 23:15
What :( no full screen :mad:
I saw a video showing the XMB on a tv and they say there are two "modes" one is full screen and the other is the tiny box you say, I thought it was the same for games.
Then I'll wait for a custom firmware to solve the problem :rolleyes: .
If I try this I'll post.

I live in Spain and here is impossible to find the cable
maybe next month xD

Ya the XMB is full screen, so is the internet browser, because it doesn't matter if you cut them off at the edges, but you can't take a widescreen game and chop the sides off and expect it to be playable. :rolleyes: Best case scenario is that you would get big bars at the top and bottom of the screen cutting out nearly half of the screen like when you hook up a DVD player playing a 1.33:1 widescreen video to a tube TV. Worst case (and most likely IMHO) would be that the picture doesn't even make it to the edge of the screen and you are left with a picture that is in a small 16:9 box in the middle of your screen.
The only way to get games to fill up the whole screen is to have a widescreen HDTV that has a really good zoom feature. Both my Toshiba and my buddies Samsung 32" LCD HDTVs are less than a year old but neither have a zoom feature good enough to bring the PSPs game images to even the edge of the screen despite both having 5 settings for screen size. They both display games in the middle of the screen, so good luck making it work on an old TV that has no screen zoom and isn't widescreen. :thumbup:

dgila
September 19th, 2007, 15:03
I dont mind if the image quality is like a psx I want to play the games on full screen :mad:

It is stupid to show the xmb on full screen and the games in a tiny window :mad: :mad:

kool hAnd G1mp
September 19th, 2007, 19:34
I dont mind if the image quality is like a psx I want to play the games on full screen :mad:

It is stupid to show the xmb on full screen and the games in a tiny window :mad: :mad:

I can understand your frustration but it isn't stupid, as I explained already, you can't take a widescreen game and cut the sides off to make it fullscreen (Like XMB) and expect it to be playable. You wouldn't be able to see anything other than the middle of the screen. Movies are also fullscreen but cropping off the sides doesn't make them unwatchable (atleast for some people anyway).
PSP games have to be widescreen and that is all there is to it.

jonezybaby
September 19th, 2007, 20:37
the games are created to be used in widescreen so best bet is 2 play it on a widescreen tv otherwise it just defeats the object of everything!!

dgila
September 19th, 2007, 21:17
I can understand your frustration but it isn't stupid, as I explained already, you can't take a widescreen game and cut the sides off to make it fullscreen (Like XMB) and expect it to be playable. You wouldn't be able to see anything other than the middle of the screen. Movies are also fullscreen but cropping off the sides doesn't make them unwatchable (atleast for some people anyway).
PSP games have to be widescreen and that is all there is to it.

You are right, playng gamaes in 4:3 wolud look very bad :) ) .
And 480x272 is not 16:9 now I understand.
But you don't need to cut the sides, the image in games would be just a bit "deformed" (is that the word?).

16 / 9 = 483.5 / 272
PSP = 480 / 272 Nobody would notice the "deformation xD.

Sony could make some zoon options like "nearly full screen without cuttig the sides, with the 64 Mb flash they have a lot of space to improve things :D .

On an "old" tv (no lcd...) the games will look better (if in full screen or nearly full screen) because old TVs make low resolution images to look better, for example the n64 resolution was 256 x 224 and it looked ok in old tv.

Thanks for answering.

kool hAnd G1mp
September 20th, 2007, 02:11
You are right, playng gamaes in 4:3 wolud look very bad :) ) .
And 480x272 is not 16:9 now I understand.
But you don't need to cut the sides, the image in games would be just a bit "deformed" (is that the word?).

16 / 9 = 483.5 / 272
PSP = 480 / 272 Nobody would notice the "deformation xD.

Sony could make some zoon options like "nearly full screen without cuttig the sides, with the 64 Mb flash they have a lot of space to improve things :D .

On an "old" tv (no lcd...) the games will look better (if in full screen or nearly full screen) because old TVs make low resolution images to look better, for example the n64 resolution was 256 x 224 and it looked ok in old tv.

Thanks for answering.

You are getting pixel count/resolution confused with apect ratio. The PSP does have a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. 480/272 is the pixel count and is not related to the 16:9 widescreen the PSP has. if you were to squish a 16:9 image onto a 4:3 screen it would most definately be noticeable. ;)

As far as low resolutions looking better on old TVs: Your example of the N64 is flawed. The reason being that the N64 didn't have a component out and was designed with tube TVs in mind that is why it looks like crap on a HDTV. The PSP on the other hand is only meant to be run on a digital widescreen.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/biggreen420/266px-Aspect_ratio_4_3_example.jpg
4:3
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/biggreen420/356px-Aspect_ratio_16_9_example.jpg
16:9

:D

Resolution and aspect diferences aside, I don't think your idea will work anyway. Even if you had a widescreen tube TV with component inputs (Don't laugh, I used to own one) but it didn't support progressive scan (480i), then you still wouldn't get games displaying onscreen. Games can only be output to devices that are progressive scan and are not compatable with interlaced sets, which all old tube TVs are by nature, therefore you wouldn't even get a signal. LCD monitors are all progressive scan by nature however, so you still may be in luck if that is your plan.

dgila
September 20th, 2007, 13:02
Yes it would be noticeable :rofl:
Well maybe with black spaces like a 16:9 dvd in a 4:3 tv..

Anyway many people will buy the slim just for the tv out and they will be disappointed.

Nocuddle
September 20th, 2007, 19:47
Yes it would be noticeable :rofl:
Well maybe with black spaces like a 16:9 dvd in a 4:3 tv..

Anyway many people will buy the slim just for the tv out and they will be disappointed.

Am one of em.

Wrong decision to buy Slim right now as it is sitting down gathering dust. Cant take with me to travel either. Most of hotels dun have plasma & sh!t like that. :(

SCrew u s0ny.

dgila
September 21st, 2007, 10:27
Am one of em.

Wrong decision to buy Slim right now as it is sitting down gathering dust. Cant take with me to travel either. Most of hotels dun have plasma & sh!t like that. :(

SCrew u s0ny.

Thanks
At least somebody agrees with me :thumbup: .
I'll post in every forun related to slim and tell people not to buy a slim:mad: and I'll put a "stupid sony" at the end of all my posts.
Stupid sony

kool hAnd G1mp
September 21st, 2007, 15:18
Thanks
At least somebody agrees with me :thumbup: .
I'll post in every forun related to slim and tell people not to buy a slim:mad: and I'll put a "stupid sony" at the end of all my posts.
Stupid sony

You know that Sony doesn't even advertise that the slim works with TVs. It's not even written on the box, anywhere. So it's not like they are tricking anyone into buying it. If you bought it thinking it would play games on your old TV then someone either lied to you about it or you didn't read enough on the internet before purchase, or you didn't bother to read the box the cables come in. Either way every electronics retailer has a 30 return policy so go return the thing if you aren't happy with it, bitching is pointless. :cool:

dgila
September 22nd, 2007, 22:33
You know that Sony doesn't even advertise that the slim works with TVs. It's not even written on the box, anywhere. So it's not like they are tricking anyone into buying it. If you bought it thinking it would play games on your old TV then someone either lied to you about it or you didn't read enough on the internet before purchase, or you didn't bother to read the box the cables come in. Either way every electronics retailer has a 30 return policy so go return the thing if you aren't happy with it, bitching is pointless. :cool:

This is what you can see in all spanish shops about psp (copied from web pages in spanish sorry):
Un 33% más ligera y 19% más delgada...
RAM 64 Mb... ...Control digital mejorado....
Salida TV... (tv-out):(

TV-out is clearly visible everywere even in the official SONY web page in spanish (sorry again):
Slim & Lite. Nuevo diseño mejorado... ...más opciones, incluida salida de TV (tv-out again)...

Sorry if my english is not good :)

and sorry for "bitching" (at least I learnt a new word:) )

kool hAnd G1mp
September 23rd, 2007, 15:47
Weird, there isn't any advertising here in NA. Even store employees are oblivios to thte fact that the PSP can be plugged into a TV. Either way it does state clearly on the box what the cables do and don't do. I wouldn't hold out for it to magically start working though, the PSP just isn't able to do it, it wasn't a choice by Sony to screw people over. The PSP just doesn't have a hardware scaler to make it happen.
:')

dgila
September 23rd, 2007, 21:41
What's hardware scaler?

I'll have to wait :) to test "YUV rca to scart"

They did it with the "old" psp (you have to "open" the psp).
With the slim it will be easier (I think)

Now at least I have 64 MB RAM very good for homebrew.