PDA

View Full Version : HIV-Destroying enzyme discovered.

shadowprophet
September 18th, 2007, 00:43
Bangalore: Dr Indrani Sarkar has has every reason to be excited. Her PhD thesis, which started in 2002 at the Max Planck Institute in Dresden, Germany, has thrown open the doors for developing enzymes that can destroy the dreaded Human Immuno-deficiency Virus or HIV within infected cells permanently.

Indrani and a team of scientists have developed an enzyme called Tre. Tre is a custom enzyme capable of detecting, recognising and destroying HIV, much like a pair of molecular scissors.

"In laymans terms, it's an engineered enzyme which recognises sequences in the HIV genome that is duplicated, integrated virus and by the process of recombination, it cuts out the virus from the genome," says she.

The biggest challenge with treating HIV today is that the virus becomes dormant and often develops resistance to HIV drugs.

The only way then to cure HIV is to get rid of the virus completely and Tre, the enzyme that Indrani constructed after a year and its 126 "cycles of mutation" totally deplete HIV in the human genome in three months in laboratory conditions.

"It's a beautiful approach, but like any other drug, this one too will take a few years to reach clinics — anywhere between five and 20 years actually. A lot of research has to be done because since one is working with a novel enzyme, one has to engineer the enzyme," says she.

According to the latest statistics given out by UNAIDS and WHO, there are close to 39.5 million people living with HIV/AIDS in the world and though it will be a while before an imminent cure is likely, Dr Indrani Sarkar's findings certainly hold out hope for the millions who are battling the disease across the globe.

News Via IBN live (http://ibnlive.com/news/indian-doc-develops-enzyme-that-can-destroy-hiv/48654-17.html)

SnesR0X
September 18th, 2007, 01:01
THAT IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope it comes sooner than later, so many people could have their lives saved...

kcajblue
September 18th, 2007, 01:19
that is totally awesome.
it could save millions of people.

alexvander
September 18th, 2007, 01:40
they should give it to everybody in the world even people who dont have it and make everyone take it so there will be no more aids

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 01:42
That's cool...

...So the idea of sending them all to Africa (the HIV/AIDS capitol of the world) and burning them (like livestock with foot and mouth) is looking to become out of question?

splodger15
September 18th, 2007, 08:14
Nice lets hpoe its sooner this is a great discovery

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 09:12
Nice lets hpoe its sooner this is a great discovery

They should find a cure for foot and mouth before aids, they should burn all the diseased people (ALL OF THEM) instead've all the diseased animals for a change.

Vampbri-n
September 18th, 2007, 10:50
Well what can humanity do next................?

splodger15
September 18th, 2007, 11:40
They should find a cure for foot and mouth before aids, they should burn all the diseased people (ALL OF THEM) instead've all the diseased animals for a change.

Not really foot and mouth is only affected by animals at the moment but that could change. Foot and mouth got out again because they were testing with it in some lab.

If I remember correctly the first foot and mouth outbreak was from imported meat.

souLLy
September 18th, 2007, 11:53
They should burn all the diseased people (ALL OF THEM)

Remind me never to go to you for health advice

Buddy4point0
September 18th, 2007, 11:58
this is good news for me, i have every std currently known, and 6 unknown.

(thats a joke)

agreed muaahahaha

ExcruciationX
September 18th, 2007, 15:51
that is totally awesome.
it could save millions of people.
It will. ;)

cal360
September 18th, 2007, 15:55
This is brilliant, but the only problem is you get rid of one thing and another thing pops up. If only a cure for cancer were to emerge, my Grandad died from cancer two weeks ago.

ExcruciationX
September 18th, 2007, 16:15
This is brilliant, but the only problem is you get rid of one thing and another thing pops up. If only a cure for cancer were to emerge, my Gerandad died from cancer two weeks ago.
Sorry to hear that.

I only had one grand parent until 2001.

sourced
September 18th, 2007, 16:26
wow, great news for me. i mean, uh, my friend.

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 18:14
Not really foot and mouth is only affected by animals at the moment but that could change. Foot and mouth got out again because they were testing with it in some lab.

If I remember correctly the first foot and mouth outbreak was from imported meat.

The first ever foot and mouth outbreak in the UK was in 1956 in Gloucestershire, and the next in 1967, then in 1981 there was an outbreak on the Isle of Wight, then 20 years later it reappeared in 2001 (starting in Essex) and lasted 11 months.

Cause

The cause of the UK/2001 outbreak must remain speculation for the time being. Various hypotheses have been promoted, including imported meat, imported wild deer, eco-terrorism, viral escape from FMD research animals, and loss of viral material from laboratories, but as yet there is insufficient firm evidence to enable causation to be ascribed. This may be established by an appropriate inquiry.

The activity of the Pan-Asian 'O' type virus, which was the causal agent of the outbreak, had been noted for some time, and the UK Government had been warned by many FMD researchers as early as 1998 to expect an outbreak of this type.

As for the latest outbreak they were storing it in a lab (Institute of Animal Health) in Pirbright, Surrey and it was released by some damaged pipes which were known to of leaked for a good 4 years.

---

foot and mouth is only affected by animals at the moment but that could change

Foot and Mouth can also infect humans (thou with no lasting effects).

In the 60's a guy in the UK got it, thou many cases of human foot and mouth worldwide had been reported.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1293094.stm

And in 1834 a guy got it from drinking infected milk.

In 1834, a physician called Hertwig apparently managed to self-infect with the illness by drinking milk from infected cows.

Didn't I tell you... I'm not a doctor, but I will happily give medical advice thou :p

agreed muaahahaha

lol :D

blueshogun96
September 18th, 2007, 18:47
That's cool...

...So the idea of sending them all to Africa (the HIV/AIDS capitol of the world) and burning them (like livestock with foot and mouth) is looking to become out of question?

You got somethin' against Africans?

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 18:59
You got somethin' against Africans?

Nothing against Africans, I was just stating that Africa has more HIV/AIDS cases than the rest of the world. Which Africa has loads've land that isn't used (it's a big country), so anyone with AIDS can go there (nothing against the people).

V3N0M
September 18th, 2007, 20:07

yeah, same here.

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 20:14
yeah, same here.

lol, you scared that I might amputate your arm when a real doctor will tell you that you have a cold? (or something) :p

Vampbri-n
September 18th, 2007, 20:18
yeah, same here.

Oh god i dont vant to know vhat he vould do to me......(shuders):(

blueshogun96
September 18th, 2007, 20:42
Nothing against Africans, I was just stating that Africa has more HIV/AIDS cases than the rest of the world. Which Africa has loads've land that isn't used (it's a big country), so anyone with AIDS can go there (nothing against the people).

Yeah, that's understandable. But not everyone can deal with Africa's heat. I can, but then again, I don't have aids :thumbup:

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 20:50
Yeah, that's understandable. But not everyone can deal with Africa's heat. I can, but then again, I don't have aids :thumbup:

Africa isn't too hot, and they wouldn't have to deal with the heat long as it wouldn't exactly be a holiday where they would be going in the deserted areas (thou they will have a nice flight) :p