PDA

View Full Version : First Large Scale Wave Farm Approved in England

Shrygue
September 18th, 2007, 22:48
via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/renewable-energy/first-large-scale-wave-farm-approved-in-england-301108.php)

Plans for the first large scale wave farm on the planet were given final approval in England today, paving the way for a highly ambitious new method of generating energy off the coast of Cornwall in Southwest England.

With an initial cost of over $56 million, the project has the potential to create 1,800 jobs and save over $1.1 billion for the UK over the next 25 years. It'll do this by generating enough electricity for 7,500 homes, saving 300,000 tons of carbon dioxide over the same period.

If the project is a success, look for wave-generated energy to become a more prevalent source of renewable energy elsewhere in the world in the coming years.

VampDude
September 18th, 2007, 23:57
7,500 homes isn't many homes, but I guess they've got to start somewhere :)

jmendes
September 19th, 2007, 00:56
that sounds great

I xfire I
September 19th, 2007, 13:44
nuclear is a much more efficient and clean way, less space is needed and much more power is produced, as well as the fact that carbon dioxide has nothing to do with climate change

bah
September 19th, 2007, 14:01
nuclear is a much more efficient and clean way, less space is needed and much more power is produced, as well as the fact that carbon dioxide has nothing to do with climate change

I wouldn't say cleaner than wave power if you count construction of the plant as well as digging up, refining/enriching, transporting and disposing of the waste.

More efficient? I'm not sure of its lifetime, but it uses 0 fuel to produce that power once built. Construction on things like this can be improved/refined if people keep trying new things too.

Its certainly on a much smaller scale than a nuclear plant, but I wouldn't dismiss things like this as worthless.

I'm really not going to go into your second point other than to say I believe the vast majority of the worlds climate scientists may disagree with you.
Note you said 'nothing to do with' rather than the less easily dismissed 'not the only/entire cause'.

I never understand when people argue that carbon dioxide has nothing to do with climate change so who cares about reducing it, without thinking of all the other pollutants that are reduced/eliminated when using renewables (and yes, also nuclear) for power over coal/oil/gas.

I'd like cities to be less polluted by car exhaust etc due to more efficient cars etc, putting pressure on car makers/industry to make this happen in order to reduce carbon dioxide would reduce all the other crap in the air also.

I cannot see how this news is anything but positive, besides possibly the fact that there is not more of this kind of thing going on.