PDA

View Full Version : Please help me diagnose a dead PSP

sab0tage
September 19th, 2007, 02:29
I have a PSP a friend gave me that appears to be bricked/dead. When I turn it on, the power light stay lit, but the screen never lights up. When I use a working pandora/jigstick, the power/ms/wifi lights are solid, but nothing ever comes on the screen.

(I tested the pandora/jigstick in my working psp, and the text options come up, and i've used it to backup my NaND - so pretty sure my pandora is good.)

The guy got it from his bro-in-law, who supposedly doesn't know or heard about custom firmwares, so pretty sure he didn't attempt an upgrade/downgrade. All he could say is one day it just stopped working.

Any ideas on what may be wrong, or suggestions on what I can try next?

Thanks!

hooliganbandit
September 19th, 2007, 04:36
Whenever people ask for help like this, the first thing other people say is to press the brightness button. I dunno if it works, but that's the advice I always see...

ICE
September 19th, 2007, 04:37
never hurts to pandora the sucker to 1.5
see what happens eh?

steve520
September 19th, 2007, 04:47
just pandora it. and since u have one go downgrade it for him and be like this is an early christmas present so i dont have to get u nothing now.

Gene
September 19th, 2007, 04:51
Sounds like you have a loose connection. if you know how take the baby apart and push in, and check all of your plugs. if that doesn't work, try replacing your working psp lcd with the non working one. If that works then, get a new lcd screen from divineo for $35?ish off the top of my head. But if the lcd replacement trick doesn't work then you might have an id storage corruption, or something irreversible to my knowledge.

ExcruciationX
September 19th, 2007, 04:58
Tap the brightness button.

sab0tage
September 19th, 2007, 05:23
Those are all great suggestions. Here is what I have tried, to no avail.

Pandora - When I use pandora, all the lights stay solid and never go off. Press circle to backup nand doesn't work, even took memory out to see if anything was written - nothing was. Pressed X to downgrade - nothing. The ms light never goes off so it doesnt appear to be reading either.

UMD - Place umd in and turned on - no sound /w standard battery.

Brightness - nothing

So, what is left? A bad umd or lcd wouldn't cause pandora to fail would it?

steve520
September 19th, 2007, 05:24
do you get the boot menu in pandora?

sab0tage
September 19th, 2007, 05:38
screen never lights up, so I can't tell, but normally with pandora after you reach the boot menu, your ms & wifi lights go off - mine stay on.

ExcruciationX
September 19th, 2007, 05:44
IDSTORAGE is probably messed up (not recoverable).

sab0tage
September 19th, 2007, 06:00
Is the IDSTORAGE part of the mobo? Would any of the psp be good for parts?

ExcruciationX
September 19th, 2007, 12:06
You could buy another motherboard and switch it with the current one