PDA

View Full Version : PSP slim details plz

Takean
September 19th, 2007, 03:45
Hi. I was looking at getting the PSP slim...and I have a regular psp with homebrew on it. My question is...i love the emulators and homebrew. Can it do homebrew just as well as the regular psp? I would hate to buy it if it isn't worth it.

steve520
September 19th, 2007, 04:11
yes it can but u must need a pandora battery and magic memorystick and it sounds like u can make one since u already have a hacked psp.

mnuhaily22
September 19th, 2007, 11:10
actually not really, just to a certain extent, like games made for 1.5 kernel won't work because it uses 3.xx kernel, but lots of them work...

Takean
September 19th, 2007, 13:02
I'm mainly interested in emulators, such as snes, genesis, tg16, etc. Sometimes on long trips, I rip a game or 2 to my mem stick to avoid carrying a bag for the psp and games them, but I just don't want to get one if it can't play my favorite emulators really.

jonezybaby
September 19th, 2007, 20:30
the 1.5 kernal doesnt work so there for u are unable 2 play ur backed up games, but there are versions of snes, genisis etc workin on the slim

feight
September 20th, 2007, 02:13
the 1.5 kernal doesnt work so there for u are unable 2 play ur backed up games, but there are versions of snes, genisis etc workin on the slim

Er, wha? You can play backed up games, I've been playing Dead Head Fred for the last few days. Homebrew based on the 1.50 kernel don't work though, but some 1.50 kernel homebrew apps work using the new eLoader 1.000.

Snes9x currently doesn't run so hot because the ME version isn't working currently even with eLoader.

I have Final Fantasy III set to 22000 khz for the sound and the processor to 333 with auto frame-skip and it's still obvious that many frames are dropped when in combat.

I have faith that it will be improved over time, and it's still enjoyable to play emulators, but Fat is the place to be at the moment for homebrew.

Give it some time though; many people are smitten with the Slim (including myself) and it's very likely the Slim scene will improve rapidly.

Takean
September 20th, 2007, 03:04
Does the slim have better stats than the fat psp? Something that will come into play for being helpful for later homebrew items? Or is it essentially the same thing, just thinner?

legion28
September 20th, 2007, 04:22
Does the slim have better stats than the fat psp? Something that will come into play for being helpful for later homebrew items? Or is it essentially the same thing, just thinner?

The Slim has double the amount of RAM (64MB instead of 32), but so far the additional RAM appears to be reserved for the UMD cache and is not accessible for homebrew use. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the future, though.

Lodis
September 20th, 2007, 15:07
I really like the slim Psp, it has a much better Dpad, an improved analogue pad, overall more responsive buttons and because it is so much lighter it is a lot more comfortable when playing games for a while.

The fact that we already have some homebrew on the Psp Slim and M33 Custom Firmware is a major accomplishment so everyone should count themselves lucky. People need to have more patience and know that eventually the Slim will have more homebrew.

Maybe we need to move on from relying on the 1.5 kernel in the future.