PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball Z, The most Legendary series of all time

SnesR0X
September 19th, 2007, 06:15
It truly is, and I am here to prove to you, that this is by far the most kick ass part of my childhood (even with YTV making it edited so it has an 8+ rating, but it's all good :p)

http://www.youtube.com/v/TBtpyeLxVkI&eurl=

http://www.youtube.com/v/NENqZYPpZrA

http://www.youtube.com/v/5K957UpnaIs

V3N0M
September 19th, 2007, 08:30
I've always enjoyed the Dragon Ball series. Trust me the unedited versions are much better and you can see how it was original directed toward an older audience before funimation got a hold of it! But hey at least they made the original "way it should be versions" available as well it’s just that you wont be catching any of these versions on American TV.

quzar
September 19th, 2007, 09:19
Dragon Ball > Non Z portion of DBZ (in the manga Z started later) > DBGT > Z

souLLy
September 19th, 2007, 10:13
if anything ever happened on that show I might watch it. I remember watching an episode ages ago and literally nothing happened, someone charged up a fireball for a whole half hour. not sure how it was meant to be entertaining...

Vampbri-n
September 19th, 2007, 10:54
I've vatched zat show since the begining and zit vas and stilll is the best show i haf vatched in my life time.

Shadowblind
September 19th, 2007, 12:46
Dragonball Z > Anything your small feeble mind can contemplate

bah
September 19th, 2007, 13:10
if anything ever happened on that show I might watch it. I remember watching an episode ages ago and literally nothing happened, someone charged up a fireball for a whole half hour. not sure how it was meant to be entertaining...

I remember seeing the show in 99 or so, saw it once and the main guy and some enemy were hovering and talking about how they were going to beat each other, didn't see it for a week or 2, saw it again and they were still there.....

They sure know how to stretch out the storylines wherever the show comes from.

The King
September 19th, 2007, 14:02
that show rocks no one can beat goku gua and my kii is bigger than all of yours guahahaha

quzar
September 19th, 2007, 14:16
I remember seeing the show in 99 or so, saw it once and the main guy and some enemy were hovering and talking about how they were going to beat each other, didn't see it for a week or 2, saw it again and they were still there.....

They sure know how to stretch out the storylines wherever the show comes from.

This is in response to you and soully. The reason for all the "filler" was because this was the first extremely long anime series based on an ongoing manga, and after a certain point they got to parts of the story that literally hadn't been written yet. Since they're source material was entirely the manga, and they for some reason didn't want to just postpone the series for half a year, they ended up stretching what little material they had left out like hell to coincide with the end of the season, so that afterwards they could stop having to do that.

This is why I say that Dragon Ball (the first part of the series/ the first series) and the first season of "Z" are MUCH better than the rest, because all of them were done before the need for filler and don't have those stupid "charging up" scenes. Much less grunting and whatnot much more story. The same can be said about a few of the smaller story arcs in the show, as there were some that existed outside of the manga and were made specifically because they had no more story (which makes the story not as good, but at least no AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH).

For the most part the biggest offender in the series with the whole filler thing is the freiza saga, which for years was everything funimation had dubbed, and thus was replayed on cartoon network like crazy. If either of you saw episodes full of two characters staring at each other and breathing heavily for 20 minutes, odds are they were from that chunk of the show.

So if you ever wanted to see what all the hype was about and watch non-shit episdes, try looking at the first 26 episodes.

bah
September 19th, 2007, 14:39
Fair enough.

I'm not saying the show was that bad, just my main memory of it was of it being really stretched out. I never really saw much of it at all, not that big of an anime fan and I liked sleeping in. :)

Was the period you mention around the time when the main guy (goku?) was running on some path (i think through space) to get back home?

I seem to remember that going on for freaking ages.

quzar
September 19th, 2007, 14:51
Fair enough.

I'm not saying the show was that bad, just my main memory of it was of it being really stretched out. I never really saw much of it at all, not that big of an anime fan and I liked sleeping in. :)

Was the period you mention around the time when the main guy (goku?) was running on some path (i think through space) to get back home?

I seem to remember that going on for freaking ages.

Actually, no, he was running for ages, but the story happening in paralell to that was actually moving. What I was talking about was later on there is a period of maybe 10 episodes where he is standing face to face with an enemy and has been "beaten" and is just standing there and the taunt each other, then near the end of it he goes, good thing you gave me time to charge this power attack! Basically, in the first season there are two fights, one in the first 10 episodes or so, then one in the last 10 episodes or so, and unlike the rest of the series where the fight scenes are mostly empty space, these are actionful (although they still have rather silly taunting and whatnot).

sourced
September 19th, 2007, 15:45
i used to <3 DBZ.

dont really like it that much now..

mastersho
September 19th, 2007, 17:02
Dragon Ball was the best. I mean come on, Goku took about 3 shows to charge up the damn Spirtbomb and it still didnt work. Ill rather watch Son Goku freak out cause Bulma didn't have balls when he did a "pat pat"

pibs
September 19th, 2007, 17:40
First time I was introduced to DB was in mexico with spanish dubs. It was great and all uncensored, but when i came back to the states to see dbz and wow what a load of fillers in that show, almost as bad as naruto.

Cap'n 1time
September 19th, 2007, 17:42
This is what Dragon Ball Z was to me.

Bad guy: "hahaha I am going to destroy you!"
Good guy 1: "No you wont, you might beat me but Good Guy 2 is going to come and kick your ass!."

staring contest begins.

Camera: show bad guy face for a few seconds.
Camera: show good guy 1 face for a few seconds.
camera: show bad guy rushing at good guy 1.
Good guy 1 gets beat'n up pretty bad.
Good guy 2 comes. Good guy 2 gets beaten until he unlocks more power.
Staring
Staring
Staring
fighting
the end.

Sonicboy 101
September 19th, 2007, 17:47
I never knew about DBZ until recently.
No, I am not kidding.
I think I saw it once though, some people with bizarre hairstyles were playing with cards.
But that could easily have been another anime. :cool:

mastersho
September 19th, 2007, 18:58
I never knew about DBZ until recently.
No, I am not kidding.
I think I saw it once though, some people with bizarre hairstyles were playing with cards.
But that could easily have been another anime. :cool:

Man you are so lucky to not know about DBZ. I envy you.

SnesR0X
September 19th, 2007, 20:14
Dragon Ball > Non Z portion of DBZ (in the manga Z started later) > DBGT > Z

How was DBGT better than Z? That was the worst thing of all! I know there was lots of parts of the show where everything was a stand-still and was stupid, but for the parts that weren't it was brilliant. The best part was the Frezia saga, (minus the part when he took 3 episodes to get to 100% power)

Vampbri-n
September 19th, 2007, 20:50
This is what Dragon Ball Z was to me.

Bad guy: "hahaha I am going to destroy you!"
Good guy 1: "No you wont, you might beat me but Good Guy 2 is going to come and kick your ass!."

staring contest begins.

Camera: show bad guy face for a few seconds.
Camera: show good guy 1 face for a few seconds.
camera: show bad guy rushing at good guy 1.
Good guy 1 gets beat'n up pretty bad.
Good guy 2 comes. Good guy 2 gets beaten until he unlocks more power.
Staring
Staring
Staring
fighting
the end.

JA zats how i see zit most of se time. and screaming don't forget the screaming, zat took 2 episodes to do.:rofl:

quzar
September 19th, 2007, 20:57
How was DBGT better than Z? That was the worst thing of all! I know there was lots of parts of the show where everything was a stand-still and was stupid, but for the parts that weren't it was brilliant. The best part was the Frezia saga, (minus the part when he took 3 episodes to get to 100% power)

I'll rephrase what I said, and make clear accounts for divisions:

DB> sayajin saga of Z > second half of GT > rest of Z > first half of GT

I felt that from the moment they stepped onto namek on in Z the series was mostly downhill. I enjoyed a large portion of the android saga as well as it's alternate timelines and some of cell, but buu was way out.

As for GT, the first half of it was supposed to mirror the storyline/general action of DB which, while nostalgic, just wasn't the same, whereas after they return to earth in GT, it is basically the same as Z. I really liked the reborn androids and hell breaking loose, but didn't much like the seven dragons portion (similar to my breakdown of androids and cell vs buu).

I can't see how anyone would think the freiza saga was the best part of DBZ unless they are that hung up on the final transformation to super sayajin. It wasn't just a three part episode, at least 50% of that set of episodes was pure filler. I have to admit I still find the very last bit of the freiza saga to be great, but the sheer amount of filler in it really turns me off to it in a major way. That said, my favorite part of Z ever is Goku's return/trunks' introduction, but that isn't really a subsection of the series in any way because it is only 2-3 episodes.

gdf
September 19th, 2007, 23:13
GT ruined everything with its bullshit. Z was fooking awesome! I even loved the Freiza saga! Not so much Cell, but most others were incredible!