PDA

View Full Version : DS hosed up after shell transplant... any advice?

UnderARock
September 20th, 2007, 07:21
I'm afraid I've messed up my (original) DS while taking it apart. Some time ago, the hinge broke. I ended up buying a replacement shell off ebay and transplanting all the guts. It was a bit finicky (especially those stupid hinges!!) but I got it done and there were no problems.

I've now experienced another broken hinge, so I got another empty shell. Everything seemed to go fine, but after I got things hooked up, it wouldn't start up. When you press the power button, there's absolutely nothing.

If you insert the charger cord, the orange charging light will come on for about one second then go out. If you just press the power button quickly while putting the cord in, you can get the power light to come on briefly, but then it goes out too with the charging light. There's still nothing happening on either screen.

At this point I disassembled everything and put it back together, being extra careful that I had everything right. It does the same thing--with or without the battery, with or without a game cartridge. There's no obvious physical damage (loose solder joints, etc.) on the boards, and I have re-connected all the ribbon cables several times.

Do you have any suggestions?

XioN980
September 20th, 2007, 13:45
this probably means you blew a fuse

it'll be located near the battery, im afraid i only know how to fix this in a lite i dont have a phat :(

UnderARock
September 21st, 2007, 07:23
Thanks, that was it! That never even occurred to me. I was able to find DS Lite photos showing the fuse locations, and at least one of those motherboards is close enough that I was able to find it. Sure enough, shorting it with a small screwdriver blade got it to boot up.

Unfortunately that's not all that's wrong with it... the top screen was acting up after the hinge broke, and there had obviously been some stress on the ribbon cable. I was hoping it was just loose, but turns out it's messed up too.

Anyway, thanks for the help.