PDA

View Full Version : upcoming games. forcing firmware upgrades?

Takean
July 4th, 2005, 05:28
I was wondering if anyone knew if the game dead to rights, or even the upcoming game coded arms is going to force upgrade my psp. I really like my emus...and my 1.50 version can finally play emus...lol.....but even so, I got the PSP for these games as well. Just wondering if i should buy em or hold off until 1.51 and up have been cracked.

Žeddragon
July 4th, 2005, 05:39
I heard it would not harm your version. I heard it just upgrades to Version 1.50. I am not sure. But it does force you to upgrade. (The game will not start without the right version).

Takean
July 4th, 2005, 05:49
i hope its just 1.50...and not higher.

r8cer
July 5th, 2005, 07:05
I have played dead to rights and Midnight club and it updates to 1.50 doesnt harm you or you h@mebrew.. enjoy (I use 1.50)

ShinShoryu
July 5th, 2005, 07:47
But I like my 1.0 :(

Puerrican718
July 5th, 2005, 15:05
Are we talking about the japanese games?? The US psps are already at 1.5 so imma assume u guys meant the jap. psp. Though i heard b4 the US games would automatically update. Unless im wrong

LordVox
July 6th, 2005, 01:40
USA auto updates are with Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo and will update to either 1.52, 1.6, or 2.0, depending on when they release. Madden football may also require this, but this is not certain. These updates will stop the ability to run emulators, unless there is a version 1.52+ exploit (rumored to be in existence, but not anywhere to be found, so probably a hoax or internal beta?!!?). Sony was not too (unoficially) concerned about homebrews, but now that there are retail games running off mem stick, they are not happy. It is not the actual piracy of the games that worries Sony, but the fact that the "secure" format UMD has been compromised or hacked. This makes it harder to sell other developers of content providers to adopt UMD format as a "secure" medium for music, movies, etc.
Also, Sony wants to promote the chat, messaging, and web browser as "must have" features (with 2.0 firmware update), to tap into motorala's 2-way market.
You have 2 options: Buy a second PSP and update away, or NEVER update (or play or rent any new games after September) and keep playing the emulators and homebrew.

ganon
July 6th, 2005, 01:46
or wait for someone to bust the firmware

djrobx
July 6th, 2005, 03:18
or wait for someone to write a loader that bypasses the firmware check.

Takean
July 6th, 2005, 12:33
my main reason for asking about the firmware upgrade is that one of the main games I have been wanting to try is Coded arms. And its suppossed to be coming out tommorrow...according to Ebgames. Can anyone say yet that this will not force upgrade? Hopefully not..as it really does look like a great game.