PDA

View Full Version : Mario and Sonic will sell 4 million - Sega

Shrygue
September 21st, 2007, 18:33
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172437)

Sega believes that Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will sell 4 million units, equaling the feat of the original Sonic title released in 1991.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, which goes on sale for Nintendo Wii in November, will pit Nintendo and Sega's flagship characters against one another for the first time, and Sega believes it has a sure-fire hit on its hands.

Bloomberg reports that Masanao Maeda, a corporate director at Sega's gaming unit, forecast that the title will sell 4 million units, although he didn't specify a timeframe for achieving the milestone.

The target is equivalent to almost 20 percent of Sega's games sales during the last financial year ended March 31.

Sales of the title will no doubt be given a boost by next year's Beijing Olympics.

VampDude
September 22nd, 2007, 05:57
SEGA will be lucky if a Sonic game hits the 4 million mark thesedays, Sonic is now a has been of the past due to the poorly made Sonic games SEGA has been releasing the past few years. Mario I think will be the selling point of the game, but I still doubt 4 million.

WhizzBang
September 22nd, 2007, 06:06
I think Sega has too much faith in the power of brand names.

Basil Zero
September 23rd, 2007, 06:04
Sega and for the first time Nintendo is too confident in this title.

I mean seriously..its a sports racing game........even with the hype of both mario and sonic characters, 4 million, thats more bark than bite if you ask me -__-

bah
September 23rd, 2007, 06:35
SEGA will be lucky if a Sonic game hits the 4 million mark thesedays, Sonic is now a has been of the past due to the poorly made Sonic games SEGA has been releasing the past few years. Mario I think will be the selling point of the game, but I still doubt 4 million.

Here here, couldn't agree more.

The game doesn't look to be anything that special, if they think an average game will sell really well just because it has both mario and sonic in it (like wow OMG WTF LOL who would have thought they'd see that during 16-bit console wars? :) ) then I think/hope they are wrong.

Then again, really crappy movie based games sometimes sell well so perhaps the whole Olympic tie-in will really work in their favour. Or possibly it might even turn out to be a game worthy of selling 4 million :)