PDA

View Full Version : Pvnc Released Beta 1!!!

rest05
July 6th, 2005, 06:30
PSPVNC IS NOW CALLED PVNC (PORTABLE VNC) If anyone knows how to use this app please post in this thread ideas and sugg.
ATTN: REST05

source: www.teamxecuter.com

Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/portablevnc.shtml

Onetonbullet
July 6th, 2005, 06:38
* _________ * *
* | _____ | \\ // * Application: PortableVNC *
* | ________| \\_//N * Release: July 5 2005 / 1.0 *
* |_| O R T A B L E \_/ C * Platform: Sony PSP *
* http://www.xboxopensource.com/ *

What is VNC?

VNC stands for Virtual Networked Computing.
It simply means you can use your portable to controll things
that run on your PC.

What about GPL?

PortableVNC is based on PalmVNC and thus is under the GPL
License. The graphics used are copyright their respected
authors and NOT under the GPL License.

How safe is this to run?

As with any current homebrew on PSP you may have serious
problems, including corruption of your memorystick or the
settings stored in your PSP. That said, I've not had any
issues with the current version causing destruction.
Currently you should NOT suspend your PSP while running this
application or mess with the WiFi switch while it is running
Either will lockup the networking code. Also try to stay
within your WiFi range. Should a lockup occur, hold the
power switch up for 5 seconds, release it, then wait 5 more,
and power your psp back on.

What are the Controls?

Controls in the menus are noted at the bottom of the screen.
To return to the host menu press SELECT while connected.
To switch between mouse, scrollbars, virtual keyboard, and
dpad mode press Triangle while connected.
Pressing Home at any time will display the exit menu.

Who made this?

I am NHD of TeamXos, I've been writing applications for
game systems for the past decade. I've been known by many
names, I wont bother listing them here.

Whats with the advertising?

Our advertiser (WWW.MODWHIZ.COM) has provided myself and
another TeamXos member with PSPs to dev with, in exchange
for placing a banner for them in PVNC. Please support us
and buy some of their products.

^^README^^

rest05
July 6th, 2005, 07:03
ONETONBULLET can you post how to use this app cause i tried to use it but it wont connect. Can you help out please??? a step-by-step procedure on the powerful app, thanx in advance.
ATTN REST05

wraggster
July 6th, 2005, 07:44
thanks for the news.

El Payo
July 6th, 2005, 09:50
I'm running OSXVnc as my VNC server on my Mac, in addition to Remote Desktop.

Attempting to use PVNC to connect to either server results in me staring at the connecting screen. Nothing even shows up in my log which leads me to think PVNC isn't actually getting to the connection stage. I've tried all the combinations of OSXVnc on and Remote desktop off, vice versa, and all on, but I get nowhere.

I've tested this on both my internal subnet as well as from an external IP and the result is the same. Mac VNC clients can connect immediately, but PVNC does not.

Anyone else using OSX who's had any luck? Or for that matter and *nix or Windows folks having any fun with this?

I can imagine all the possibilites, which makes my inability to connect that much more frustrating. Still, kudos to the authors and I look forward to a beta 2,

El Payo
July 6th, 2005, 10:26
Since this is using the basic WiFi functionality, you MUST use infrastructure mode and make sure your network settings are correct.

Totally amazing. I'm looking at this very window on my PSP. Weirdness.

Again, KUDOS to the authors.

El Payo
July 6th, 2005, 10:42
I should also note that while I can see the OSX window, I am unable to interact with it in any way. Changes I make on the computer are visible on the PSP very quickly, but I can't use the PSP to control the Mac. Additionally, none of the controls listed above are responsive. In order to exit the program when connected to the Mac requires shutting the PSP down.

peanut
July 6th, 2005, 10:57
i got this working, those who havnt yet managed to do so...remember to open the ports up on yer router. 5900 i think (tcp). I dont think you can control the computer ur connected to yet, buttons dont do anything. but very nice app seeing as its in beta

El Payo
July 6th, 2005, 10:59
More info: Apple Remote Desktop and PVNC are incompatible. Use OSXVnc 1.5:

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

shizzle
July 6th, 2005, 11:36
Hold on, would this mean you can connect to a random wifi and control the pc??

Can you use this via USB bcause i don't have a wifi ??

peanut
July 6th, 2005, 12:11
Hold on, would this mean you can connect to a random wifi and control the pc??

Can you use this via USB bcause i don't have a wifi ??
Well....if the random computer has vnc server installed and has selected not to have a password when connecting, and the router has the ports opened, and you know the ip of the computer....then yes. But there aint much chance of all that.

El Payo
July 6th, 2005, 13:32
I've been talking to a couple of other peeps who have been able to use mosty of the PVNC functionality. The mouse is a little jumpy and isn't showing up at all on the PSP screen, but on the whole this is really impressive. I wanted to try to get a photo of PVNC running with OSX hosting a Virtual PC session. Hve to try that later today.

deathspal
July 6th, 2005, 15:27
This looks like A killer App.

Anyone have any Idea how to change the WiFi DHCP time out.... it times out befor my connection would have usualy responded... (Based on the connection test built in to the PSP)
----

znamezsame
July 6th, 2005, 18:34
.... it times out befor my connection would have usualy responded... (Based on the connection test built in to the PSP)
----

I have the same problem. During startup, the connection progress never gets past "WiFi DHCP", but instead proceeds to the error "WiFi Connection Timed Out - Please check the WiFi switch and try again." At this point, you can select "Ok", but any attempts to connect to a Host yields the error, "ConnectToTcpAddr: cannot connect Error: 125 / 125"

I can successfully connect to WiFi via the Test Connection option in network settings.

Gamblore
July 6th, 2005, 20:16
Its not random wifi. Its a computer running a vnc server. Its nice controling other computers on your network. All from a single computer.

SmashinGit
July 6th, 2005, 20:44
So in the near future you won't even need a pc to download your homebrew, amazing!

deathspal
July 6th, 2005, 21:23
znamezsame,

yup Same here.... 125 /125 and allll

Boopop
July 6th, 2005, 21:54
znamezsame,

yup Same here.... 125 /125 and allll

Same here also

Drift
July 6th, 2005, 22:02
If you're using DHCP then I think that's probably the reason it won't work. You need to use a static IP afaik.

I've got the viewing part working fine but can't get control. According to the readme you use triangle to toggle controls but it doesn't do anything, although somehow I did manage to get the keyboard up on the PSP screen once. The home button doesn't work as it's supposed to either. I'm thinking some of the probs might be down to the version of VNC I have installed on the PC (RealVNC).

Drift
July 6th, 2005, 22:15
OK I've got it working now. For PC use TightVNC. There's a problem with entering passwords, after you enter about 3 chars the rest of the space fills with crap, so just enter a blank password into the server (remembering to enable blank passwords in the advanced settings). Mouse control did work for a short while until I started messing with the mouse at the server end.

rest05
July 7th, 2005, 03:36
i used Tight VNC but i still couldnt manage to get this psp to connect what did you do exactly???

El Payo
July 7th, 2005, 03:38
I get garbage characters too when entering the password, but you can easily 'type over' whatever junk characters show up, and then delete any 'hangers-on' before hitting the enter button. I still can't get control either, and none of the PSPs buttons seems to do what the author claims after a connection is established.

Looking forward to beta 2.

rest05
July 7th, 2005, 05:40
stupid pvnc now i get the error 118, help please!!!

Drift
July 7th, 2005, 07:38
i used Tight VNC but i still couldnt manage to get this psp to connect what did you do exactly???

Nothing special to be honest. My PSP has a static IP, I start the VNC client on there, enter the PCs IP and the correct port that the VNC server is listening on which you may have to make sure is set in TightVNC. Then I just connected. The PCs screen appeared straight away on the PSP. Mouse control worked straight away with either the d-pad or analog control, although as soon as I touchd the mouse at the server end the PSP could no longer move the mouse. To get the keyboard up on the PSP you have to tap triangle 4 times quickly, but it's really slow once it appears and makes enterig text a bit of a chore.

Hope that helps.

Bus1nessboy
July 7th, 2005, 11:04
Alright everyone, I have been working to get this running for awhile and finally I got it to work, and it was a really stupid reason, but before I tell you how I will note that my PC is running off of the same router as my PSP, anyway i think and I'm pretty sure that all you should really need to do if you have All IP, Router, and DNS adresses correct then al you should have to do is CHANGE THE PRIMARY DNS TO WHAT EVER YOUR ROUTER ADRESS IS so that now the default router and the primary DNS are the same and then its just a matter of running the server and then PVNC.

AND one last Note the program works surprisingly well and i was even able to open Limewire and any folders with it.

Hope this helps it sure did for me.

rest05
July 7th, 2005, 18:07
what is ''static IP'' could some one help please???
is the router,IP, and dns all the same numbers???
hey BUS1NESSBOY! can you check you inbox cause i sent you a pm please reply.

Drift
July 7th, 2005, 23:27
Static ip, ie you set one yourself that stays with the psp all the time, rather than being issued a random one by DHCP.

Strangely it seems to work 100% for me today and keyboard input is much quicker. I think my PC was too busy doing other stuff yesterday as it's only a pentium 3, 600. I turned off some of the HTTP VNC options today as they're not required, plus altered some of the polling options and it's all fine.

rest05
July 8th, 2005, 00:14
well is it possible to connect if you dont have a wireless router? something like d-link?
or is it just a normal pc and vnc with pvnc to make this app work??? any one with the answer please reply, thnx

Drift
July 8th, 2005, 09:54
Wireless router setup here.

ClintiePoo
July 8th, 2005, 11:41
I got all of the networking stuff to work and the program to connect and display my pc. However, the mouse does not work unless I push the computer mouse first, and it stops working if I don't keep moving it around on the psp. Any suggestions?

El Payo
July 13th, 2005, 09:01
Using 1.1 I can now connect to OSX 10.4.2 running OSXvnc, AND I can scroll/control the computer BUT I can't see the mouse cursor on the PSP. Still this is a fantastic update, with many many new features. Again, my thanks and kudos to the authors for their terrific work.

slyweedw
June 2nd, 2007, 12:01
hi im haveing trouble eith the vnc thing i tryed real vnc and tight vnc but nothing seems to to im using a speedtouch router

can someone post detailed instuctions on this and what is the src folder in the zip archive thank for your help

parkermauney
June 2nd, 2007, 14:45
There are some around, you know google is still a working website. And, this thread is super old. Google is usually your best bet.

kman93
July 8th, 2009, 03:42
can someone post a link? i am about 4 years late, but i would love a link...