PDA

View Full Version : DS Emulation for Beginners (UK)

JonnyJP
September 30th, 2007, 14:52
Hi, I live in the UK and have a DS Lite, Broadband Internet and a PC.

Basically, what do I need to be able to play emulators on my DS? Ideally, I'd like a step by step guide or something that includes info on UK suppliers and approximate costs. Ideally, if there is a package that contains everything I'll need then that would be great.

I'm new to this so using a lot of technical terms won't help.

Cheers guys.

PS I'm interested in emulating the C16, C64, Speccy, Megadrive and PC games like Monkey Island.

OPM881
September 30th, 2007, 15:19
your gonna need a slot card first(a card that looks identical to a normal ds game cartridge, but has a slot for a micro sd card). I recomend R4 or M3 because they seem to be the best in the market. There are heaps of stores if you look around, i live in australia so the store i used wont help, but try and get one that will sell you a japanese imported kingston micro sd as they work best. There are various guides here but basically you need to search google for things like NDS Homebrew and NDS Homebrew Emulators. That should bring up alot of the info you need.

JonnyJP
October 1st, 2007, 13:19
Ta,
There's tons of info out there. Some say that you need a cartridge (same as DS) and then something else in the GBA port. Some say you just need a single cartridge that holds a flash card. Some say you need to reboot things etc. Just getting a bit confusing!

How do I get the data onto the micro sd card? I take it a cheap cardreader will be sufficient for my PC?

OPM881
October 3rd, 2007, 10:58
Cheap card reader is fine, most slot cards come with them any way. Slot 1 (the ds slot) is used basically for everything except playing gba games. Slot 2 really is just for gba games. Slot 2 can be used for all if you get a pass me card, but unless you are gonna be wanting to play gba games on your ds aswell (as apposed to your computer >> ) then there are a few 3 in 1 packs, but i havnt got one of them so i cant really comment on them.

juz098
October 3rd, 2007, 23:12
what you need to do is get an M3 DS Simply and a 2GB MicroSD card from www.dealextreme.com they reside in HK but it has free shipping in about two weeks you'll get it you can then download ds roms or snes emulators for ds and download roms and play it on your M3 in total you'll be paying around $60.

dark__echoes
October 5th, 2007, 01:54
i like my r4ds, and it has emulated every thing fine so far. plus, auto dldi patching(note: dldi is the interface a rom runs on and is used to acsess other files on your card, so you need it to acsess whatever you whant to emulate) dont worry about a gmeboy slot cart at all, if all you want to do is emulate. i got my r4 from realhotstuff.com, but i live in the US so i'm not sure were you can get one

sukhi-2006
October 31st, 2007, 14:14
The r4 ds comes with r4ds cart,micro sd card,card reader yes i have this package it brilliant the card reader you get is very fast it transfer very quickly you can get one on online from console up they are very good company.

sukhi-2006
October 31st, 2007, 14:16
If you are planning to play ds,gba games,quake,doom,pc engine these can only be played in slot 2 then you will need m3 lite with passcard.

DanTheManMS
November 2nd, 2007, 00:50
That's not entirely true. DS games, Quake DS, and DS Doom can certainly run fine from slot-1 devices.

Tikker
November 2nd, 2007, 17:21
the only thing that REQUIRES slot2 is GBA support, and the official opera browser

that being said, I've got a slot1 m3ds, as well as a slot2 m3 lite perfect

it's a fantastic combo (I really prefer the media playback on the m3 lite, compared to the m3 ds)