PDA

View Full Version : NCsoft's Garriott heading to International Space Station

Shrygue
October 1st, 2007, 14:38
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29129)

Ultima creator and current NCsoft exec Richard Garriott is to take a "commercially active" mission to the International Space Station.

Scheduled for October 2008, Garriott's trip will be the first commercial mission to take place on-board the ISS. Although exact details are still under wraps, mission organiser Space Adventures detailed that private sector involvement can include scientific and environmental research and educational outreach programming.

Garriott is currently working on MMO Tabula Rasa for NCsoft, due to be released before the end of the year.

"I am dedicating my space flight to science," commented Garriott.

"It is my goal to devote a significant amount of my time aboard the space station to science, engineering and educational projects."

Garriott's father was an astronaut, and his own commercial success with the Ultima series of games has enabled him to be able to take the space flight.

"The reality that's brought me here intersects with the simulated, fantasy worlds I've created in my career as a computer game programmer," added Garriott.

"Without the success I've enjoyed as the creator of the Ultima series of games, I wouldn't have had the resources to be one of the first private space pioneers."