PDA

View Full Version : Flashing a DS

ButterBeer121
October 1st, 2007, 23:14
I've heard that you can flash your DS. I know that is means replacing your NDS's firmware, but I don't know much else. What is the point of it? Can it be reversed? What is the worst that can happen if I mess up?

TeenDev
October 1st, 2007, 23:39
It is used for slot-2 users so they do not need to have a PassMe. It also provides protection against the two DS viruses. It also allows you to take away the spalsh screen and the beginning of booting up. Alternativly if you have a slot you can use the No Auto-Boot version which boots to Slot-1 instead of Slot-2. The worst thing that will happen if you flash your DS is that you will brick it if you screw it up. For more info just google 'FlashMe DS Firmware Hack'.

ButterBeer121
October 2nd, 2007, 01:27
So it is useless if you use a slot-2 device?

TeenDev
October 3rd, 2007, 02:46
other way around

kcajblue
October 3rd, 2007, 05:29
its not useless.
its better to have flashme.

the newer flash carts have a built in passcard or whatever so there is no need to have a flashed ds, but it wouldnt hurt to do it.

ButterBeer121
October 3rd, 2007, 22:16
Sorry, I meant to say it's useless to flash your DS if yuo use a slot-1.

DanTheManMS
October 6th, 2007, 02:04
Not entirely useless, but not as useful as if you had a slot-2 card. You still gain the bricker protection and the loss of the health and safety warning screen.

atoc
October 9th, 2007, 22:29
its not useless.
its better to have flashme.

the newer flash carts have a built in passcard or whatever so there is no need to have a flashed ds, but it wouldnt hurt to do it.
I did it just to get rid of the "health warning" screen.
And so I would know how the process worked and be able to offer to do it for others that might not want to venture in to that territory.