PDA

View Full Version : Which downgrader should you use?

SpooForBrains
October 2nd, 2007, 23:21
(The purpose of this guide is to list all the current, viable downgrading opportunities so that newbies can see, at a glance, the solution for them. Yes, everyone should be using Pandora, but a lot of people have trouble getting the necessary bits, don't have access to a homebrew capable PSP, or are scared off by what they see as a complicated procedure. They may be able to follow one of the other solutions. I believe that anyone asking about downgrading should first be pointed to this thread).

Which downgrader should you use?

Please use the following guide:

NB: If this guide says that Pandora is your only solution, then it's your only solution. You can ask about alternatives until you're blue in the face, but you'll get the same answer from everyone and annoy a lot of people.

I have a PSP Slim:
Only solution A: Pandora

My PSP firmware version is 3.51 or higher:
Only Solution: A. Pandora

My firmware version is 2.80 or lower.
Solution: D. Dark_Alex / N00bz Generic Downgrader

My firmware version is 3.03 or lower,

I have Lumines:
Solution: B. N00bz 3.50 "Illuminati" Downgrader
I have Unpatched Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories*:
Solution: C. N00bz v.3.03 GTA Downgrader
I don't have either game:
Solution A: Pandora

My firmware version is 3.50 or lower:

I have Lumines:
Solution: B. N00bz 3.50 "Illuminati" Downgrader
I don't have Lumines:
Solution: A. Pandora

Solutions:

Best option:
A. Pandora
Works for all PSPs, including slim.
Requires access to a homebrew PSP, a compatible battery and memory stick, Windows
About, Download and Instructions here. (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/unbricker-for-all-firmwares.html)

B. 3.50 - 3.50 "Illuminati" Downgrader
Works for original (fat) PSPs running 3.50 or lower.
Requires a copy of Lumines.
About, Download and Instructions here. (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/downgrader-for-psp-v3.50-firmware.html)

C. 3.03 - N00bz v.3.03 Downgrader
Works for original (fat) PSPs running 3.03 or lower.
Requires: Unpatched copy of Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
About, Download and Instructions here. (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/v3.03-downgrader.html)

D. 2.80 - Dark_Alex / N00bz Generic Downgrader
Works for originsl (fat) PSPs running 2.80 or lower
Requires: no special equipment.
About, Download and Instructions here (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/improved-2.8-downgrader-updated.html)

* How do I tell if my copy of Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories is unpatched?

Pop it in your PSP, and check what firmware update is included on the UMD. If it includes firmware version 2.0, then it's an unpatched copy. If it includes a higher version then it's patched and the exploit will not work.

No, Grand Theft Auto Vice City will not work. No, no other game that includes firmware version 2.0 on the UMD will work either. The exploit is specifically in Liberty City Stories.

Can I buy a copy of it?

Yes. Check second hand shops, and the preowned section of games retailers. Take your PSP with you and ask to check the UMD. You can also buy copies from ebay (often with downgrading guides included). Search for Grand Theft Auto Unpatched.

No, there is no way to tell if it's the right version just by looking at the case.

I would like this eventually to go into the tutorials section as a resource to which we can direct all initial downgrading queries. If there is a decent dcemu tutorial for one of these items, I will link to it here. Thanks!

Axelius
October 3rd, 2007, 10:44
Nice thread, but I think you forgot to mention the 2.80 downgrader.

SpooForBrains
October 3rd, 2007, 12:32
Nice thread, but I think you forgot to mention the 2.80 downgrader.

You're quite right. Thank you! I've removed the 2.71 solution and replaced it with the 2.80 since that makes the older downgrader redundant. Unless there are any advantages to using the older downgrader over the newer one that anyone knows of?

marzsyndrome
October 11th, 2007, 23:40
This thread is referencing downgrading from "official" firmwares right? Custom firmwares more downgrade friendly?

Axelius
October 12th, 2007, 12:36
Yeah, custom firmware actually needn't be downgraded. I think you can just execute the 1.50 update to "downgrade"

darkness angel 777
October 17th, 2007, 18:59
I think the safest and easiest way to downgrade
is 3.50 and Lumines because i downgraded mine without any errors

Axelius
October 17th, 2007, 20:10
I think the safest and easiest way to downgrade
is 3.50 and Lumines because i downgraded mine without any errors
Yeah, and I downgraded mine withe the 2.80 downgrader without any errors.

To tell the truth: You can't derive the probability of the chance of success by a single event. To get a statistical value you have to downgrade hundreds of psps, but who would conduct such a study?

Well, I would say that all newer downgraders are fairly stable. And with Pandora you have always a safety to recover from a brick.

AntiSephiroth
October 21st, 2007, 14:57
Right, I have no way of getting Pandora to work on my system. I have FW 3.71 and don't own a homebrew-compatible PSP.
Anyone, help please?

I hope someone finds a way to downgrade without the Pandoras Battery, it just seems too much hassle.