PDA

View Full Version : still some confusion about pandora's battery, any help please?

steveyh13
October 3rd, 2007, 01:49
hi there im quite new to the whole homebrew on the psp thing .. although i do have good general knowledge and understand these things quite well,

ive been recently searching over the internet to find a way to downgrade my 3.4 OF psp back to 1.5 so i can run some custom firmware, and the only solution seems to be pandora's battery or to exploit using lumines game,

however i wish to use the pandora method and i am a little confused as to how it really works (been reading too many sources :o ), i read that the 1.5firmware it loads is only off the memory stick, does this mean i can't upgrade this firmware and must always use the pandora battery to operate at 1.5?

or can i use the pandora battery to put 1.5 OF on the PSP, then upgrade to a custom firmware, then change my battery back to normal (MYSELF?) and run it without the use of the memory card at all?

basically my question is if i can upgrade the FW that pandora puts on my psp, and then change my battery back to normal so i could use it as if it was like i upgraded from a factory 1.5 FW

thanks in advance guys

DarthPaul
October 3rd, 2007, 02:00
Pandora is very easy to use.

Yes, you can upgrade to any other firmware after completing the Pandora process. The 1.50 firmware is on the Mememory Stick to do the Downgrade, after the Downgrade you will be on 1.50 Official Firmware and you can upgrade to whatever firmware you wish.

steveyh13
October 3rd, 2007, 02:06
Pandora is very easy to use.

Yes, you can upgrade to any other firmware after completing the Pandora process. The 1.50 firmware is on the Mememory Stick to do the Downgrade, after the Downgrade you will be on 1.50 Official Firmware and you can upgrade to whatever firmware you wish.

ok thanks a lot this is what i wanted to hear :) i was just a little unsure because in the readme it said it wasnt a full version or something, so i didnt know if it was just a "limited use" firmware if you know what mean

SpooForBrains
October 3rd, 2007, 02:12
i read that the 1.5firmware it loads is only off the memory stick, does this mean i can't upgrade this firmware and must always use the pandora battery to operate at 1.5?

That confused a lot of people at first, it was just a little poorly worded. It just means that the memory stick only contains a subset of the 1.5 firmware, because this is all it needs to flash the official 1.5 Sony firmware. Once you're finished the process, your PSP will be running a full version of 1.5 firmware, just as if it had been shipped from the factory. You can chuck the battery and memory stick in the bin at this point if you really feel like it :)

If you use Dark_Alex's improved pandora installer for PSP Slim (it also supports the original PSP) you can go direct to 3.71M33 custom firmware and bipass 1.5 altogether.

It's on www.dark-alex.org called ">> El Despertar del Cementerio v2 (Sony Bug Solved) <<". You use that in conjunction with the original Pandora tools. Full instructions are in the readme.

And, yes, you can turn your battery back to normal afterwards, and even reformat your memory stick should you wish to (although it works fine if you don't).

steveyh13
October 4th, 2007, 18:08
hi i finally got hold of a pandora battery, now is there any way to make a magic memory stick without having to run it through the custom firmware again?

i am up to the stage where i need to run the installer from a CF psp, isnt there any other way i can copy the files? (ie. from windows?)

SpooForBrains
October 4th, 2007, 23:43
hi i finally got hold of a pandora battery, now is there any way to make a magic memory stick without having to run it through the custom firmware again?

i am up to the stage where i need to run the installer from a CF psp, isnt there any other way i can copy the files? (ie. from windows?)

No, the PSP is needed to decrypt the 1.5 firmware and create the nand image to flash to the memory stick, and then write the rest of the subset to the stick. It's not legal to distribute any of that which is why you need a PSP to create the stick.

steveyh13
October 5th, 2007, 00:26
No, the PSP is needed to decrypt the 1.5 firmware and create the nand image to flash to the memory stick, and then write the rest of the subset to the stick. It's not legal to distribute any of that which is why you need a PSP to create the stick.

nevermind i got it on :) got it updated to 3.5 m33, also got popstation up and running and made a final fantasy 8 eboot!!

damn it runs pretty sweet :) im so happy now:P

homebrew rocks! time to get more games :P

SpooForBrains
October 5th, 2007, 01:04
Great stuff! Enjoy!