PDA

View Full Version : General advice regarding themes/wallpaper, etc. sought

bjaffe
October 4th, 2007, 17:32
I'm not a noob to everything, but I have never added wallpaper or a theme to my psp. I have had CFW for a long time. I had a virgin 1.50 for years and then took the plunge to 3.10 OE in order to play my PS1 games. I recently upgraded to 3.52 M33-4. I am very happy with it b/c I can now play all of my PS1 games. (Ghost in the Shell, Front Mission 3 and Brave Fencer Musashi all work now). I also have tons of emulators and homebrew games running so I am familiar with how to set things up.

I am now thinking of branching out and adding a custom theme or wallpaper. I have always been very hesitant to do anything that might cause a brick or throw things off.

How big of a deal is it to add a wallpaper from an image on the memory stick? Does this flash the PSP?

If I want to do a whole theme, I know that I use one that is compatible with my firmware, but is there a way to do it without flashing? Is it possible to use XMB Theme Manager on 3.52 M33? Will that use the flash?

I appreciate any help/advice that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.

Sonicboy 101
October 4th, 2007, 17:54
Wallpapers are easily done by placing the pictire in the photo's folder and setting it as the wallpaper. No flash used at all.
Themes are different. They overwrite the Sony original flash to make the XMB look different (but you'll probably know that)
You can do it by flash but you can use a program called CXMB, and it can be used on 3.52 M33.
It runs from the memory stick so it requires no flash remaking.
I'm attaching it.
All you need to do is put it in SEPLUGINS in the memory stick root, make a text file in SEPLUGINS called "vsh" and put this in.
ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx
Then, get the theme you want and overwrite the files in font/vsh or whatever is needed.
Then enable it in recovery. Sorted!
It should work - If not you'll have to get more help on this. I'm not an expert. :p
I hope I helped.

bjaffe
October 6th, 2007, 21:44
Hey sonicboy, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and added the wallpaper and I'm happy with that for now. I may try an entire theme at some point so I downloaded the program you provided. Thanks again.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 18:44
Im kinda a noob at this too. ive got the firmware to 3.52 m33. im just trying to find the seplugins folder. im not sure if i have to make it . or if it should be there by default

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 18:49
Im kinda a noob at this too. ive got the firmware to 3.52 m33. im just trying to find the seplugins folder. im not sure if i have to make it . or if it should be there by default

You have to make it.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 19:12
when you said overwrite the files in vash/font, where you reffering to the ones found in flash01 .

btw cheers for the help.

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 19:20
In SEPLUGINS, put CXMB in there. Inside there is the VSH folder, you should just be able to put the theme in there. It'll probably say to overwrite.
Not flash 1, CXMB, in SEPLUGINS. It's best not to go into the actual flash.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 19:42
right , its all there, but the plugin isnt appearing in the recovery menu.

Ive got my files saved to : F:\SMPLUGIN\CXMB\VSH\resource

is this all right?

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 19:45
Did you create the text file VSH in SEPLUGIN? I explained it first post.
You also put SMPLUGIN and not SEPLUGIN. :rolleyes:

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 20:01
right , fixed the file name ( what a dumb thing to do :D)

i had the txt file in CXMB i cut and pasted 'ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx' into the txt file.

but alas. its still not coming up in the plugins. any ideas

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 20:04
Ok, try this instead:
ms0:/SEPLUGINS/cxmb.prx
Make sure the prx is in SEPLUGIN.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 20:32
Ive changed the txt in vsh.txt to read 'ms0:/SEPLUGINS/cxmb.prx'

ive got in 'F:\SEPLUGIN'
CXMB folder
cxmb.prx
vsh.txt

but the plugin is still not there.

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 20:40
Ok I got it:
Copy cxmb folder to msroot, then in the vsh.txt file put in
ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx
It should work this time

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 20:47
ie got a file called MP_ROOT is that the one. or is litterally the root of the memory stick

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 20:48
The root is ms0: (where you put seplugins) so copy it to there.
It's the first screen you come to when you enter usb mode, it has stuff like the PSP folder.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 20:56
ive got in 'F:\SEPLUGIN'
cxmb.prx
vsh.txt

and in f: i have
CXMB folder

and i changed the txt in vsh to 'ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx'

but still no plugin when i enter recovery mode.

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 20:58
Put cxmb.prx in the cxmb folder. so in seplugin will only be the vsh.txt.
Last try. After I won't know what's wrong.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 21:09
nah still no luck. well i really appreciate all your help. but i think my psp is a fickle little bugger. :D thanks again man.
you dont happen to know of any other ways to change the xmb?

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 21:12
nah still no luck. well i really appreciate all your help. but i think my psp is a fickle little bugger. :D thanks again man.
you dont happen to know of any other ways to change the xmb?

Either the wallpaper thing or by changing the flash0. The flash0 thing is kinda dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 21:17
yea i did that before and did a semi brick. luckily i have a total back up of everything so i didn't have to break out the Pandora's battery. i even tried wardrobe v5 but it didn't work right. i never read any of my themes i put in there. it also didn't create the theme.

clone_of_me
October 7th, 2007, 23:02
just a little help to anyone who has the same problem as i did here is a tutorial i found that helped me
click here (http://www.pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9590)