PDA

View Full Version : Oni for PSP

Haitani1551
October 5th, 2007, 03:07
Yes, as soon as I get my PSP repaired, i'm going to make Oni for the PSP using the Iris homebrew engine :D

Any mappers wanna join this project?

dark heart
October 5th, 2007, 14:32
don't make a mod for iris, make a mod for quake 2, the latest port to psp should come out given a few weeks, so wait for it.

also get QuArK, i can recommend it as the best for mapping quake style games.

as i couldn't be botherd finding the link, google this:
"QuArK" "army knife"

don't remove quotes.

Haitani1551
October 5th, 2007, 21:37
The thing is, Oni is a 3rd person game, and Iris has the same camera angle as Oni, or similar. Quake 2 is an FPS, and a bad engine to base 3rd person games off of, even though Iris uses a BIT of the Quake1/2/3/ SDK i think.

wolfpack
October 5th, 2007, 21:58
iris has its bugs and whatnot, youre better off not doing that. just do a mod for a different game.

PSmonkey
October 5th, 2007, 22:46
You're better off holding out for a new engine ;)

Also Quake 2 engine was used in 3rd person action games. Heretic 2 uses a modified Q2 engine (q2 I believe internaly supports a 3rd person camera as well as 1st person, Q3 I know does because its just a simple command in the command console).

Actualy you're real choices are

1. Quake 1 Mod (and mod Q1PSP port to run it)
2. Quake 2 Mod (and mod Q2PSP port to run it)
3. use .... (name escapes me, its with an i)

BTW, I'm one of the few people who love oni.

dark heart
October 6th, 2007, 01:52
yer, i thought it would be self explanitry that quake 2 can be modified to fit your needs.
never mind quake 2, mabye iris would be best for you.
but you can still use QuArK to make the maps for iris.

Haitani1551
October 6th, 2007, 05:13
You're better off holding out for a new engine ;)

Also Quake 2 engine was used in 3rd person action games. Heretic 2 uses a modified Q2 engine (q2 I believe internaly supports a 3rd person camera as well as 1st person, Q3 I know does because its just a simple command in the command console).

Actualy you're real choices are

1. Quake 1 Mod (and mod Q1PSP port to run it)
2. Quake 2 Mod (and mod Q2PSP port to run it)
3. use .... (name escapes me, its with an i)

BTW, I'm one of the few people who love oni.

Yay an Oni fan! :3. And the 3rd choice you said is probably Iris. I might use Quake 2 for an HUD, but Iris has a good Third Person Camera angle. Aaaargh it's so confusing!

PSmonkey
October 6th, 2007, 05:38
Yay an Oni fan! :3. And the 3rd choice you said is probably Iris. I might use Quake 2 for an HUD, but Iris has a good Third Person Camera angle. Aaaargh it's so confusing!

Third was not iris. I did write it, so I think I would remember it's name. :P

No actualy there is another engine out there that is a port of a pc freeware engine to the PSP. It supports Q3 BSP & MD3 models. It's quite advance and supports an array of features (lighting, particles, etc).

I really don't recomend iris at all. Iris can't result in anything other then a mod skin.

I know a friend is working on a new psp engine that will be modable. I will have to see how that one goes before I recomend it.

fenrir911
October 6th, 2007, 08:14
i would say use the quake 2 engine also, cause its so easy to code for, and it has the same third person view as oni, just type in chase_active 1 in the console and it should work :) hope that helps your decision

dark heart
October 7th, 2007, 07:21
hey what's that thing beginning with 'i' if it's not iris??
sounds great!
please tell me.