PDA

View Full Version : Epic: No Wii intentions

Shrygue
October 5th, 2007, 17:59
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29314)

Epic Games has no plans to work on middleware or graphics engines for the Nintendo Wii, according to vice president Mark Rein.

Speaking in a GameTrailers interview, he confirmed that the company's focus would remain with the consoles that could generate the serious visuals.

"I think the problem is that it's not in our wheelhouse. I mean, what we're doing is the really high-end, next-generation visuals. We're pushing these [Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3] machines pretty hard."

"I just think that we have too many things on our plate to go back and put resources in that kind of situation."

Rein went on to point out that the money is really in working on the Sony and Microsoft platforms, and that working directly with Nintendo would be the only viable course of action for the Wii.

"I don't think there's a lot of money on making engines for the Wii…because the big software dollars right now are being earned on Xbox 360 and they're going to be earned on PlayStation 3, and I think unless you're going to sell your engine to Nintendo, you're going for scraps on that platform."

Epic Games is the developer of Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3, and sells its Unreal engine to numerous other developers for use in other games.