PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD Emulator for DS?

RockmanHX
October 7th, 2007, 06:35
Is there any Sega CD Emulator for DS yet?

kickasspats
October 7th, 2007, 16:35
theres not even a fully working genesis emulator... what makes u think theres even a working Sega CD Emulator?

JKKDARK
October 7th, 2007, 17:28
It shouldn't be hard, but there isn't Sega CD emulator for consoles/handhelds (except on Xbox -illegaly- and GP2X)

Lordus
October 7th, 2007, 18:17
It shouldn't be hard, but there isn't Sega CD emulator for consoles/handhelds (except on Xbox -illegaly- and GP2X)

If by "It shouldn't be hard" you mean hundreds of hours of work for an emu that will run very slow, then i agree ;)

The Sega CD is VERY hard to emulate. Do you remember how long it took the PC emulators to get decent Sega CD emulation?
The DS is already at its absolute limit with just the Genesis and the SegaCD has an additional M68000 cpu, that is even clocked 50% faster than the Genesis main cpu and of course a lot of other hardware, that adds overhead.
As much as i would like to see it (or even do it) i doubt it will ever happen...

RockmanHX
October 8th, 2007, 00:17
So the Genesis emus don't support Sega CD?

JKKDARK
October 8th, 2007, 00:23
So the Genesis emus don't support Sega CD?

They don't support any of the add-ons (CD & 32X)

RockmanHX
October 12th, 2007, 00:07
Great, so no one is working on one or anything? Man......

Lordus
October 12th, 2007, 00:26
Great, so no one is working on one or anything? Man......

Did you read my last post?
If anyone would ever attempt that and somehow get something working, it would run so slow, that you would be the first to complain. Its just not worth the incredible amount of work needed.

You are free to write one yourself, of course ;)

dark__echoes
October 13th, 2007, 14:16
hmm... so is a 32X emulater posible? or is that to hard also?

Lordus
October 13th, 2007, 16:26
hmm... so is a 32X emulater posible? or is that to hard also?

Possible yes, but it would run even slower. The 32X has 4 CPUs. The 2 Genesis ones + 2 23MHz SH2s, which are the same ones working in a Saturn. The pure processing power is not so much away from the DS itself.
This is just a guess, but i think if it would be incredibly optimized it could run at about 1-2 fps.

RockmanHX
October 13th, 2007, 18:11
I'm not skilled at coding, so I could do none of that.

June 11th, 2009, 01:17
pavy14 is working on one

Steveice10
June 16th, 2009, 18:39
I heard of something called frame skipping that skips some frames to make it look or run kind of faster

B2K24
June 30th, 2009, 23:51
You can't skip every frame or you might as well not even play.
What is it about 1-2 fps that people don't understand?

Payk
July 7th, 2009, 15:37
1-2FPS?
You know what most ppls dont know?
Try out some emulators for ds on desmume or something...
many use framebuffermode...
this means they emulate entire 2d hardware by putting every pixel...
why? because they just port existing emus from pc.
if one would make use of the existing sprite and bgs layers, the emulator could be twice as fast with easy.
and maybe ds cpu has some instructions which work same as the sega cpus. so that these dont needs to be translated, but just remapped...

another bad thing is to compare cpus mhz in total and say it would not work. what most ppl dont get is, mhz is not everything.
nds has bigger cache, faster ram, more cpu instructions, faster bus speed and so on.
sega 32x is NOT near ds performance. and even if bus etc would be same speed, managing 4 cpus is harder then managing one. you can not simply add all cpu ciclyes per second and compare with other cpu...

it is not impossible.
it would be simply more then a "short" port!

so the reason is that there is no one who wants to port the code, and replace render etc with the hardware features, and search for some ds specific short cuts (i guess)

I am sure 32x could run with 70% speed or more...greets