PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo planning launch of new Wii console?

JKKDARK
October 9th, 2007, 16:20
via Tech.co.uk (http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/gaming/games-consoles/news/nintendo-planning-launch-of-new-wii-console?articleid=879412207)

Word on the net is that Nintendo could be plotting the launch of a new Wii. Codename Revolution reports that Nintendo has registered a new console, currently named 'New Pack', and that it will soon be in the hands of retailers.

The universal product code (UPC) code of the new console is apparently 045496880088 compared to the original Wii which has a UPC of 0045496580018. Two digits are different.

Integrated DVD playback?

There's absolutely no clue as to what this new console will be, although it is possible to make an educated guess.

'New Pack' could be a Wii that launches with integrated DVD playback, something that's been talked about for a long time. And what with all those third party software firms making Wii software to force DVD playback, Nintendo might have decided to just ship the consoles with it included.

It could also be something as mundane as a new bundle, with some new games. Or some new colours. Maybe it'll even ship with the new Wii Zapper?

loresfx
October 9th, 2007, 16:45
Sounds interesting, It could defiantly come with different colored cases.

I wonder if modding will be the same.

JKKDARK
October 9th, 2007, 17:07
Probably it will use the latest firmware

AngelicLiver
October 9th, 2007, 18:57
I should imagine this is just the Wii Fitness pack-in, Super Mario Galaxy or a new colour range Nintendo have persistently hinted at and not anything nearly as dramatic as DVD playback, specifications changes or redesign.

Jakor Dratic
October 10th, 2007, 16:41
I really doubt its a new console, let alone one with dvd support. But if it is here's a list of features i think are realistic.

- Bigger flash memory

- support for more usb devices (I know they suggested this in a possible firmware update)

- thinner?

- 1080 support?

- ethernet port

- WPA support

- more usb ports

- Another sd card slot

- not really requesting it nor do I want it but upgraded anti piracy?

- Homebrew support?

hmong
October 12th, 2007, 16:18
If there is goin' to be a new Wii, I hope it will feature a few things like Jakor Dratic mentioned.
Here are my thoughts:

- At least 2gb (and i mean 2000 megabytes) flash memory, more would be better as games are going to be released for WiiWare download.

- Possibly DVD playback, but i would prefer built in HD-DVD as ATi could probably decode it (VC-1 and H.264) for Wii w/out any problems.

- At least 2 slots for SD

- 1080p support (possibly on firmware update)

- But if nothing's going to be near those specs, at least release firmware update to support over 2gb SD cards up to 8gb or more. Or allow usb hard drives.