PDA

View Full Version : Question about Self Boot Inducer

kash
July 9th, 2005, 02:49
So I used that Sbinducr program and once I setup everything I hit the little snake thing to create a cdi image and in the dos window after making the image it said could NOT hack ip.bin file. Will this get in my way at all to access my emulators or roms?

edit: also i used another program and it couldnt hack the ip.bin file and boot file

curt_grymala
July 9th, 2005, 03:24
Did it say "Could not hack" or did it say "was not hacked"?

The only way to know for sure, whether it will mess anything up, is to give it a try.

kash
July 9th, 2005, 03:26
i decided to scratch that self boot inducer and tried this

http://www.lysator.liu.se/dreamsnes/tutorial/

i did everything it said but once I put my CD-R in my dreamcast it goes to the Play Game, Memory Card, Music, Settings menu and if I hit play game it says please insert disc

edit: and btw what's the diffence between these 2 files DreamSNES-0.9.8.sbi and DreamSNES_098_CG.sbi

edit 2: nvm i got it all to work

curt_grymala
July 9th, 2005, 16:07
edit: and btw what's the diffence between these 2 files DreamSNES-0.9.8.sbi and DreamSNES_098_CG.sbi

I believe the only difference between the two is that I added a readme to the one with my initials at the end. When you put it in your SBI directory, open SBInducer, and select that SBI, some information about DreamSNES and how to use it will pop up in the window on the left.

kash
July 9th, 2005, 18:43
I see, thank you for the info. I have a couple more question: is DreamSNES the fastest emulator with sound and what's the best Genesis emulator? Also, are the super nintendo and genesis scenes basically dead?

Christuserloeser
July 14th, 2005, 13:27
Nope. The independent SNES scene = homebrew scene seems to be very inactive recently. The MD/Genesis homebrew scene is more active then ever before, they even do commercial releases via Sega CD but very soon also on cartridges.

If you mean if the emulators for Dreamcast are still WIP:
Genesis Plus DC is actively beeing worked on since 2003 with only very short breaks from time to time. Last year there's been a incredible huge progress when BlackAura rewrote the video code for DC's PowerVR in mid-summer and with Stef D from wGens & Fox68K joining the scene for helping out and to rewrite the needed M68K and Z80 cores.
The latest beta released is Genesis Plus DC PVR preview v3 from August 2004. The next official release (the first since v01) is expected during the next few months and should be worth the waiting if one considers the already implemented features.

DreamSNES is on hold since 2002. It's almost fullspeed with sound, which means that most games do run at 100% speed if you set the sound to mono, others that use special chips to enhance the games' graphics like e.g. Star Fox / Star Wing are very slow even if you turn off the sound.
The DreamSNES coders are still around. Marcus Comstedt is the one doing all these SCUMM VM DC releases that allows you to play adventure games like Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle or Sam & Max on Dreamcast.

The reason why DreamSNES is on hold was that the next step would have been to rewrite the SNES video emulation to the PowerVR hardware on the DC, which isn't exactly easy. In v0.98 it uses the DC's main CPU. DreamSNES is not officially discontinued The official website and forums are still up too.
Recently the source code had been released. Once compiled that'd be v0.99.

Super Famicast had been ported by Scherzo. It's an almost straight port without too much optimizations but since the code base, KOS and the compiler have evolved, it already runs almost as good as DreamSNES. Though the project is on hold until Nester SE has been released, it's definitly not discontinued.