PDA

View Full Version : New Radiohead Album out, pay what you want.

beetroot bertie
October 10th, 2007, 13:45
Radiohead's new album "In Rainbows" is available today as a download from their site:

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

In what appears to be an impressively interesting or experimental approach to distribution, they are allowing you to choose how much you wish to pay for it. You can input a value of your own choice, even get it for free.

Hard versions will be available in December in a box set and can be pre-ordered from the site too.

My download has only just finished so i can't comment on the tracks yet, except that (based on track 1 which is playing now) they seem to follow in a similar vein to Kid A and Amnesiac, perhaps a little less warp records electro style.

splodger15
October 10th, 2007, 13:52
Piracy is destroying the music industry but who can blame them. I dont want to purchase a album with 15 songs on it and I only like 2 of the songs

dejkirkby
October 10th, 2007, 16:11
Piracy is destroying the music industry but who can blame them. I dont want to purchase a album with 15 songs on it and I only like 2 of the songs
I think radiohead's experiment will be followed very closely by a lot of the record industry. If successful, I reckon we will see more and more dl only releases.

JKKDARK
October 10th, 2007, 16:27
I will get the album only if they pay me.

JKKDARK
October 10th, 2007, 16:27
I will get the album only if they pay me

gdf
October 10th, 2007, 16:32
You will get an infraction if you double post.

And fair play to Radiohead, but I don't want digital music to take over from actual physical albums. How much did you pay Bertie?

beetroot bertie
October 10th, 2007, 16:39
I was a cheap arse, and decided to try before buying :D

I bought OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac and despite liking them, have found that I rarely choose to listen to them. This time I thought I'd try it out first. If I like it, I might get it in December.

I agree though and would much rather have something physical. I like looking at the artwork and design/packaging. Downloading it seems to devalue it to me in some sense.

Accordion
October 10th, 2007, 19:42
I think radiohead's experiment will be followed very closely by a lot of the record industry. If successful, I reckon we will see more and more dl only releases.

fans, funding… cant go wrong.

there is still a material version though, and that has a fixed price.

I actually think Prince's method had more impact. A free album for every copy of a popular newspaper, and it was given to every ticket holder at the O2 arena.

Of course both have sufficient wealth to get away with it.

gdf
October 10th, 2007, 21:10
I was a cheap arse, and decided to try before buying :D

I bought OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac and despite liking them, have found that I rarely choose to listen to them. This time I thought I'd try it out first. If I like it, I might get it in December.

I agree though and would much rather have something physical. I like looking at the artwork and design/packaging. Downloading it seems to devalue it to me in some sense.

Yes, I like the artwork and stuff. If I don't have a physical copy I don't feel as if I own the music. A digital music collection isn't really a collection tbh. Imagine if your HDD got wiped and it wasn't backed up...OH OH SUCKER! SHAME YOU DIDN'T LIKE CDS!!!

ZE1DA
October 17th, 2007, 21:56
I think if you try to pay nothing for it it will still charge you 45p i think... lol thats nuts

beetroot bertie
October 20th, 2007, 21:42
If you choose £0.00, then it doesn't ask you for your card details so I don't know how it could charge you 45p.

Well, it didn't charge in my case anyway.

Classic80s
October 22nd, 2007, 23:35
They sould go on south park again.