PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: No Wii price cut

wraggster
October 12th, 2007, 16:35
Hardware still selling well enough to justify full price

Nintendo has stated that it has no plans to introduce a price cut for the Wii in the US, and that it will remain at its USD 249 price point for the foreseeable future.

That's according to outgoing senior vice president of marketing for Nintendo of America, George Harrison, in an interview with Reuters.

"We'll stay at USD 249 for the foreseeable future. We are still selling everything we can make."

The statement comes shortly after Sony announced a price drop for its flagship console, the PlayStation 3, and couple of months after Microsoft's movement on the Xbox 360.

But Nintendo isn't under the same kind of pressure, as the Wii targets a different demographic, was the cheapest of the next-generation consoles to begin with, and consumers seem likely to face another hardware shortage in the run-up to Christmas this year - meaning that demand is still high.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29535

Baboon
October 12th, 2007, 17:21
No real surprise that there's not going to be a price cut as its already cheap as chips. :)

...and as for a supply shortage there's already one where I live (Plymouth, Devon). I've got a few mates trying to pick one up and every shop in my city has none in stock due to demand. Shops they've tried include: Blockbuster, Game, Gamestation, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Hmv, Virgin, Comet, Dixons, House of Frazer, PC World etc. :eek:

quzar
October 12th, 2007, 21:08
In Miami, it's still impossible to get ahold of these things. Every time a shipment comes in anywhere it is sold out within a few hours. As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo could RAISE the price to 300 USD and still sell out.

ICE
October 12th, 2007, 21:15
Yup. they're still few and far between in knoxville tin as well. Why drop the price when no ones complaining.

Baboon
October 12th, 2007, 22:04
Sounds as if they are like gold dust already... and the run up to Christmas is just round the corner? Very strange.

Basil Zero
October 13th, 2007, 01:37
I havent seen one in shipment form nor in display from where I work or where I go to like best buy, it just came out and its already rare :p

mastersho
October 13th, 2007, 01:52
Here in Michigan I've seen a few Wii in some of the major stores near me. I was kinda shocked but I got over it fast.

cswallstreet
October 15th, 2007, 16:36
The Wiis Vanish within Hours when they come in where i work.

werpu
October 16th, 2007, 09:25
Dunno here in central Europe, Austria exactly every store has had those thingies in reasonable numbers since march, there definitely is no shortage here.
The big chains usually have staples of 5-20 wii.

This might be a good hint for the guys in the UK try to get your wii from the EU mainland.