PDA

View Full Version : This video can not be played

daveyp
October 14th, 2007, 00:49
Hi guys,

I'm having problems viewing some videos on my PSP. I downloaded them through the RSS channel and when I get to a certain point in the video it comes up with the message "This video can not be played".

If i go back and fast forward past this point, I can watch the rest of the video. I've also tried connecting the PSP to my girlfriend's mac and playing it from there, and it plays fine, so it can't be a corrupt download.

The point at which i get this message is also different in each video, so it can be a playback time issue either.

Has anyone else experienced this problem/know the cause? Apologies if there are already topics on this (i did search first).

Thanks,
DaveyP.

P.S It might be worth mentioning that the firmware I'm running is 3.71 (official, not custom).

Tesseract
October 14th, 2007, 01:50
It's possible that it might be small glitches in the playback that your PC/Mac video players are smart enough to overlook or repair on the fly, but that the PSP just stops dead cold when it hits them.

Try using a video conversion program to re-compile the video and see if that helps.

At least 3.71 has sceneskip in videos now, so this problem is less of an annoyance than it might have been in previous firmwares!

daveyp
October 14th, 2007, 02:14
Yeah that's a good idea, thanks. Do you know of any decent psp specific ones? I used videora ipod converter for my ipod videos, might aswell just use that i guess.

The official PSP website says:
'Depending on the bit rate, certain videos may not be playable on the PSP system. Check that the video files were converted at a bit rate of 768kbps or lower.'

I wondered if my videos could be variable bit rate, and at times went above 768, causing the problem, dunno if that;s possible. Of course your method of re-compiling the videos would fix that too.

Tesseract
October 14th, 2007, 02:35
I'll have to check which program I use when I get home from work.... But yeah... anything that can convert to mp4 should do fine.

daveyp
October 14th, 2007, 14:21
Thanks. It's annoying if i'm going to have to keep doing that though, it defys the point of being able to use RSS feeds to download video podcasts straight on to the psp.

I've emailed sony, if they reply with anything useful i'll post it in here, might be helpful to someone else in the future.

Tesseract
October 14th, 2007, 22:02
I use Xilisoft Video Converter... And I guess I'm just used to having to re-encode everything to be able to run it on my PS2 using the even pickier SMS Media Player, so I don't really give it a second thought!