PDA

View Full Version : PSP battery : how to charge it correctly ?

ant75
July 10th, 2005, 03:29
I would like to not deteriorate my psp battery, but I am not sure of what to do and don't do. :confused:

Is it needed to let the battery fully drain before to recharge it ?

When recharging, can we play with the PGP, or is it better to turn off the PSP during the recharging ?

Is this a problem if the psp is not fully recharged before to stop thec charge and play again with it ?

And do you think it's a problem to let charge the psp during a whole night ?

RedKing14CA
July 10th, 2005, 06:19
how to charge your PSP's lithium ion battery..

plug the ac adaptor you received in the psp package (using other charges may be dangerous) into any 100-125 volt wal plug.... then plug the other end (with the yellow) into your psp in the right side (the yellow).... if done correctly the light should turn orange... you can play games during the charge, however it will take longer to get it fully charged... try not to drain the batter past 20%, and definately not past 10%... completely draining the battery is bad for it...

it is safe to leave the psp plugged in all night....

feel free to unplug it and go off and do something else when you need to, it duznt affect the charge....

PSP_Newbie
July 11th, 2005, 11:59
red king got it^^
the psp charger or whatever, once the charge lvl reaches 100%, the orange charging light will go out and it will stop charging, so leaving it overnight is completely safe as it will turn off and go as if unplugged once fully charged, really nice feature
and u can charge whenever without harm, like even in the 90% range is fine
btw, r u sure about letting it drain <10%?
i think i did that once >.<

ant75
July 11th, 2005, 18:48
Thanks a lot for your answers guys ! :)

djarcas
July 12th, 2005, 10:49
Excellent article here:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

The important thing is that YOU really can't screw up the batteries - the charger and battery are very smart, and take care of themselves. The thing to avoid is not charging a li-ion battery for a long period of time - that'll stop it working.

leggy
July 13th, 2005, 13:59
How do you know when you have 10 or 20% charge left??

Zhacross
July 13th, 2005, 23:44
How do you know when you have 10 or 20% charge left??

Go to settings - battery info

RedKing14CA
July 14th, 2005, 00:00
Excellent article here:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

The important thing is that YOU really can't screw up the batteries - the charger and battery are very smart, and take care of themselves. The thing to avoid is not charging a li-ion battery for a long period of time - that'll stop it working.

except the psp charger stops its power output when the psp is at 100%... except my says 100% and it still duznt stop chargin for about 15 minutes.... :confused:

but yeah...and yeah, dont drain the battery, its BAD for it, for the psp battery , some batterys its good but not lithium ion!!! well.... see ya!

try not to drainit past 20%, just to be safe, and not past 10!! ( :o my psp is at 9% right now, cuz i forgot my charger at my mothaz house...

Velo
July 17th, 2005, 00:42
On recent tests, the PSP standard battery can charge fully ABOUT 500 times before it is rendered useless. I doubt recharging it wrong is going to affect much. Draining it completely might affect how much juice it can hold (in a bad way), but I doubt it will destroy it.

-James

Arwin
October 17th, 2005, 14:13
I had a little problem with the battery (after 10 months) ... I had the battery in, it was giving power, but when I put external power on, it wouldn't recharge anymore. After browsing on the internet a little, I found a tip about inserting the battery at an angle with the power connector going in first. That did the trick! May be a useful tip for others here.

Plod
October 18th, 2005, 04:46
Hi,

I work as a service tech at an Apple centre and get the battery question quite a lot. Powerbooks, iBooks and iPods all use Li-Ion, as does the PSP and this is the advice that I give to my clients:

Li-Ion batteries don't have a memory effect and it doesn't matter when you recharge them, but they will slowly lose the ability to hold a charge. Typically, with things like the iPod and PSP, about 400 recharge cycles is the expected lifespan of the battery. What's a recharge cycle? One full charge from empty to full. But how does it work if I don't flatten my battery? If you use your battery to 50% and then charge it that's 1/2 a cycle. next time you may use 20% then charge.. so, when you have used 100% (over one or several charges) that would be one cycle.

You may hear that to fully dischage a Li-Ion battery is bad. Sure, it can be but there are some exceptions to the rule. Most Li-Ion batteries will 'go flat' while some residual chage is still left in the cells. There is battery monitoring electronics built into the battery to do this, so it's ok - as long as you charge the battery up asap. If you fail to charge a fully drained battery up, there is a risk that the residual charge will be lost - dropping the battery into a 'deep sleep' that can be virtually impossible to revive. So, why would you want to run the risk of a dead battery then? Have you noticed that Laptops, iPods and PSP's all have a thing to tell you how much time is left in the battery? Have you ever noticed that sometimes it will say that it's at 0% but the device keeps working, or it might be at 100% and keeps charging? That's because the battery requires a re-calibration of the monitoring circut. To do this, you need to run your battery to 'flat' and then give it a full, continuous charge.

I try and do my iPod once a month or so, but as I am inherantly lazy and don't remember to charge it always, I find that every other week it goes flat. My powerbook is a little different, I have to 'remember' to not charge it. So I find a time when I can do some work at night in front of the telly and work off the battery until it dies - then I stick it on to charge and leave it overnight. Again, once a month is a good thing to keep the battery calibrated. But be prepared to put it on charge as soon as possible.

So, what kills a battery if I keep it charged up and look after it?

The biggest killer of batteries beyond simple use and neglect (of charge) is heat.

Who uses a laptop? Have you noticed how hot your laptop gets? It's slowly cooking your battery. Simple as that. The cooler your battery, the longer it will last.

Do you have a spare battery that you don't use? Give it a 50% charge and leave it somewhere cool - even your fridge is ok as long as there is no risk that it will feeze (as this, too, will kill your battery) and no risk that it will get wet (stick it in a zip-lock bag and make sure that it returns to room temprature before you use it)

How long will a Li-Ion battery last? A couple of years at best - even if you don't use 'em. So if you have a spare battery that you are going to save for when your current one dies, use it now. Alternate it with the battery you have as the clock starts ticking on the battery life from the moment it leaves the factory.

Hope this helps.

Plod.

PSP_Newbie
October 18th, 2005, 06:19
wow, nice explanation, you really know what you're talking about
guess you really do learn something every day, thnx