PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good LINIX distro for ps3?

thadrine
October 17th, 2007, 19:19
I want to find a version of linux that will play several different video formats and run EMU software for all of my old roms. That is about it..

Anyone seen one?

Yes I realize now that I spelled linux wrong.

The EX
October 17th, 2007, 20:26
Ubuntu?

thadrine
October 17th, 2007, 20:28
I have not messed with it, or installing anything on my PS3. Does Ubuntu have that?

Does anyone know which version would be best?

Tesseract
October 22nd, 2007, 01:13
According to Wikipedia, Fedora 7 installs pretty easily using the default installer.

OpenSuSe, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian and YellowDog are also listed as being able to work with it. Basically any Linux build tailored to use PowerPC architecture.

YellowDog is the build that's 'officially' backed by SONY, though.

Can't give you any PERSONAL recommendations, though, since I'm not very good with Linux and I don't have a PS3 ^^;

vnvnvn2000
March 17th, 2009, 11:03
Most programs for Linux will work on the PS3. There might be a few exceptions (those that require hardware specific code such as decoding video, and possibly sound) OpenOffice will work just fine, though.

According to terrasoft's website, since the PS3 still uses a PPC architecture, any applications written for the PPC & Linux will work on the PS3

Personally, I don't have a PS3, I have the PS2 with Linux on it. And for the most part, installing stuff is really pretty easy. But, theres also a PS2 linux community out there, so if I have trouble, I can ask for help