PDA

View Full Version : 360 HD-DVD in development?

Shrygue
October 19th, 2007, 18:28
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174041)

A report has appeared on a technology website that claims Microsoft and Toshiba are working on a new Xbox.

Insiders at Toshiba (owner of the HD-DVD patents) claim that Microsoft is working on a new Xbox that will incorporate a HD-DVD drive, a larger hard drive and new entertainment software.

The device is apparently being developed in response to "the PS3 driving sales of games software and Blu-ray content in several countries." A recent Sony study conducted in the UK, Australia, France Germany and Spain revealed that a big factor why consumers are buying a PS3 is because of the Blu-ray player.

This new Xbox device will be positioned as an entertainment hub that includes gaming and extensive wireless networking capabilities as well as 1080p playback. Games will also be played on it too.

It's all rumour and speculation at the moment and it doesn't take a genius to work out what Microsoft would say. Read the full report here.

wiggy fuzz
October 19th, 2007, 19:23
this generation has had more revisions of the ps3 and xbox than any other generation, hell, usually they release one thing and leave it alone

i see a problem here, if a developer decides to release their games for hd-dvd people are going to get angry. you can't make an "improved" version of something if it will deny compatibility with the previous version, like the psp slim - 32 MB ram, what if someone decides to use that? will the game work on the original psp?

Elven6
October 19th, 2007, 23:40
This could have been a good move a while back, when their was a chance of HD DVD games, their still is, like a collectors edition type thing, I hope.

Shadowblind
October 19th, 2007, 23:45
What a horrid move. This is like putting sour cream on ice cream. No one in their right mind would pay $200 more for high quality videos on a game console.

Harshboy
October 20th, 2007, 04:11
If it costs the same or less than an Elite I'll consider it.

Elven6
October 20th, 2007, 17:45
What a horrid move. This is like putting sour cream on ice cream. No one in their right mind would pay $200 more for high quality videos on a game console.

If they released a special edition of mass effect on a HD DVD, Id buy it, why? Because 95% of it will probably be uncompressed so all I am getting is pure quality. So what if I have to pay $10 more, or wait 3 seconds more for it to load, I really don't care. Im not saying Microsoft should release EVERY SINGLE game on a HD DVD, just the ones that deserve it.

Shadowblind
October 20th, 2007, 18:02
If they released a special edition of mass effect on a HD DVD, Id buy it, why? Because 95% of it will probably be uncompressed so all I am getting is pure quality. So what if I have to pay $10 more, or wait 3 seconds more for it to load, I really don't care. Im not saying Microsoft should release EVERY SINGLE game on a HD DVD, just the ones that deserve it.

I don't see the point. When DVDs somehow fail us then I'll consider a switch. But DVDs have yet to even look different then anything I've seen on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. And there is no way I'd pay $300 more for it, only to have games cost $75. That really would only make MS look horribly money hungry.

However, knowing MS track record, I'd be willing to bet they might release the HD-DVD 360 for merely $350, probably even less. In which case, it would became even mighty probable I'd get it....for the time being, I'm happy with my normal 360 :)

Elven6
October 20th, 2007, 22:29
Well Im just saying, games are coming out on over 3discs now, if they were to release a special edition HD DVD for that game, thats all. And thing of it likes the collectors edition, they cost $10 more then the normal version, yet people still buy them.

If they do release a special edition, im not saying they should stop making the other normal editions, thing of it like a compilmentary thing.