PDA

View Full Version : Odd idea for Homebrew on PS3, Wii, 360, ect. w/out Modding

Shadowblind
October 22nd, 2007, 03:01
I've been wondering why I haven't heard anything about this, and came to the conclusion that there is a obvious reason as to why this will not work. Without further adeiu...

Is there no conceivable way to make an emulator that when burned to a DVD or disc can be executed from that disk, or ripped from the disc onto the console itself? i realize that would also entail burning the R0ms onto the disc itself, but that wouldn't really be an issue.

The only reason for failure I could immediately come up with was that the discs required to be excecuted on these system must be a certain "type" or something. Then i though "oh wait, you can rip things from discs onto consoles, or at least you can on 360."

Please enlighten me as to the faults in this idea....

Safari Al
October 22nd, 2007, 03:04
im not sure why but don't the consoles block out burned discs? I was researching how to get custom guitar hero songs and found out you need a modded ps2 to run burned discs. I may be wrong tho.

Shadowblind
October 22nd, 2007, 03:08
im not sure why but don't the consoles block out burned discs? I was researching how to get custom guitar hero songs and found out you need a modded ps2 to run burned discs. I may be wrong tho.

I know you can insert burned discs with pictures or music into 360s and transfer them onto your 360, or listen to them in the drive. But when it comes to burnt games, your probably right. But coders are so clever these days, could they not create something to make the console think it has a non-burnt disc in it?

Buddy4point0
October 22nd, 2007, 03:40
mabey something it thinks is a picture. it would then read the file and that could hack it kinda like the good ol psp downgraders

quzar
October 22nd, 2007, 03:40
Loading data from a disc and executing a program from a disc are two very different things. Officially pressed discs often simply cannot be duplicated exactly on burnt media.

edit: yes, if you had some sort of buffer overflow exploit, then sure you could trick the machine into loading data. From experience though, I can tell you those are extremely difficult to find, and once found exploiting them can be even more problematic, if possible at all.

Shadowblind
October 22nd, 2007, 03:50
I don't mean forcing the user to figure out how to use the exploit, but that the coder could incorporate the program into the emulator itself; and to stop those programs from being used to aid piracy, personalizing the codes to the program itself.

The second is easy, at least in LUA. But the first...you said it could be almost impossible to do. That would be where the problem would come in, right? but you can boot music, picture, video files, ect. from the disc onto your 360. Is there no way to exploit that?

Another idea; about transferring data straight onto the HD or mem stick itself. Can one not, without pain, make it someway to make it appear as an XBLArcade, demo, Virtual Console or PSN downloaded game, and play it from there?

Lol, yeah everything has a question mark behind it. it is homebrew though, so anything is neccesary :p

quzar
October 22nd, 2007, 07:27
I don't think I understand at all what you're getting at. Are you talking about something basically like how all emulation works on the Dreamcast? Pop in your CD and go?

If so, the basic reason that doesn't work is that most modern consoles simply DON'T allow you to boot off burned media. Because of this, you are forced to take the code that would boot the system, and put it on a chip and force a system to run it.

Almost all systems have their commercial things made in such a way that simply cannot be reproduced with burned discs. The saturn, for example, has the words "Produced by or under license from SEGA Enterprises" (or something to that effect) etched into a ring in the middle of the disc. This is not reproducable on burned discs, so in order to boot anything, you have to put all the stuff that the CD drive would normally tell the system onto the chip, so that the chip can mimic the interaction the system would have with a real disc.

edit: as for the last bit, it's all a difference between finding a software exploit and not. Most systems are worked on like crazy so as not to have software exploits. Also, it's MUCH easier to, once a chip is made, simply have a chip that lets you not worry about all that. There's no profit in a software exploit, and usually no ipetus to find one.

Normally the people who find them are the ones making things like action replay.

Shadowblind
October 23rd, 2007, 21:56
Well, I guess it was worth an idea. Still, we have some pretty amazing coders working the homebrew scene. I wouldn't be surprised if they could manage bootable homebrew from a CD, maybe someday.

Could they somehow crack a 360 or Wii update, then install the update from a disc or such? to make it possible to make it possible to play burnt emulators and such? Then comes in the fact that more people would use it for piracy then anything else.... :(

There has to be someway to make this work legally....

SSaxdude
October 23rd, 2007, 22:34
To add on to what you were saying Shadowblind about hacking an update, I wonder if we could burn a 360 update from MS's site but have it boot some kind of exploit. Like when I put the burned update disc into the 360 it detected that it was a signed update from MS.

Cap'n 1time
October 23rd, 2007, 22:42
off topic, the 360 allows you to load bootleg dvd videos :o.

Shadowblind
October 23rd, 2007, 22:58
To add on to what you were saying Shadowblind about hacking an update, I wonder if we could burn a 360 update from MS's site but have it boot some kind of exploit. Like when I put the burned update disc into the 360 it detected that it was a signed update from MS.

Exactly, exactly! I wish i knew just how difficult it was, not because in any life I could do it, but to know how much I should pressure coders to do it, lol!

Bootleg DVDs? So it will recognize burnt discs, right? Excelllllllent......

SnesR0X
October 24th, 2007, 01:41
ya, I played a burnt Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie on mine, worked fine.

pibs
October 24th, 2007, 02:21
My 360 seems to be picky with cds or dvds written at high speeds. well if people are already making custom tracks for the 360 GH2 on backups I am not sure why what you are saying is not plausible.

what you are saying reminds me of some mobile phones that don't allow emulators to be installed so what is done is a jar/jad file is created of the emulator compiled with the roms inside and then can be ran as a game inside the phone.

Shadowblind
October 24th, 2007, 02:49
I just searched Xbox 360 Homebrew and came up with a site named xbox360 hacks .com (not gonna link) that is a brother to psp hacks .com as it looks. It does have hacked firmware, which I'm not exactly sure what they do. So this is possible to hack the firmware, huh....is it impossible to make a custom FW that could rip an emulator from a CD and Boot it from, say, the XBLA menu?....

You could also hack a Wii firmware if possible, and boot from the VC channel...

As for PS3, Sony may start bitc*ing about a hacked FW, soooo....

pibs
October 24th, 2007, 03:03
oh nah man thats to change the firmware on your disc drive to boot backups. I did however hear of a downgrade for 360's here on dcemu a couple weeks back but the thing is that you have to pick a choice of being able to boot ur backups and possibly homebrew or keeping your live account unbanned. Tough choice!
(if i find the link ill post it)

Shadowblind
October 24th, 2007, 03:48
oh nah man thats to change the firmware on your disc drive to boot backups. I did however hear of a downgrade for 360's here on dcemu a couple weeks back but the thing is that you have to pick a choice of being able to boot ur backups and possibly homebrew or keeping your live account unbanned. Tough choice!
(if i find the link ill post it)

I thought that the XBL ban only is for mod chipped 360s. I don't think they can tell much otherwise...

pibs
October 24th, 2007, 06:34
nope u can get banned for custom firmware on ur drive.

I remember a couple months ago on the 360hacks forums that there was a huge wave of banned members thats why I see it as a huge risk.

and I just saw this on their site

"Here is round one people, so be warned, modded consoles will be next, if; that is determined to be the cause of people cheating (altering the game as a backup, and using it)."