PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Downloadable Game Boy Games For DS

JKKDARK
October 24th, 2007, 23:53
via Wired News (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/rumor-downloada.html)

Could Nintendo be planning a Virtual Console service for the Nintendo DS? That's the word from UK magazine Edge -- in the same article, no less, as the Animal Crossing MMO news that Susan covered just now.

What I find more interesting is the bit about Nintendo gearing up to release a Nintendo DS storage card that will allow users to download and play Game Boy content on their handheld. Sure, it also opens itself up to abuse, but Nintendo has been pretty successful at not allowing users to crack Virtual Console games, so maybe they've got this sewn up?

Just not sure how the download service will work: will you do it all on the DS? If so, you'll be... tapping in your credit card number onto the screen? I guess that would work.

kcajblue
October 25th, 2007, 03:28
hmmm.

thats interesting.
i wonder how its gonna work.

ICE
October 25th, 2007, 04:08
Um pretty sure my homebrew card can already do this.. lol

::Xraxa, plz:.
October 25th, 2007, 04:31
Ive got all the GB games I want.

wraggster
October 25th, 2007, 06:34
yeah but will nintendo starting doing firmware updates that screw aroud with homebrew

interesting times ahead

paul3100
October 25th, 2007, 08:37
i think for the ds it will always be easy to get around the firmware updates for playing roms and so on.

The ds is the most hacked/cracked hand held system ever me thinks

paul

stevo11185
October 25th, 2007, 09:18
Um pretty sure my homebrew card can already do this.. lol

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p shut the **** up

on a side note, if you have roms that are available to download (for money) and you didnt pay for them you are breaking the law

Johnny Rash
October 25th, 2007, 12:21
So, will the legit Nintendo cards probably be homebrew capable?

This seems like it'll become interesting with updates.

cal360
October 25th, 2007, 12:29
Legit emulators for the DS. I wouldn't mind seeing how this works.

Pyrofyr
October 25th, 2007, 13:34
i think for the ds it will always be easy to get around the firmware updates for playing roms and so on.

The ds is the most hacked/cracked hand held system ever me thinks

paul

So you'd think. But you'd be wrong.
PSP alone totally rapes this, on top of that people mod better stuff onto PSX/PS2s, and harder modding. The only difference is that since these are so portable, and since they use SD/microSD, it's easier to do these things, so you see more people talking about it to some extent.

Anyhow, this is good news, shouldn't be too hard to get the DS->SNES emu off of that, and then use it if they release it, meaning that noone has to whine about "I can't play SNES on mah DS, wah".

wiggy fuzz
October 25th, 2007, 13:46
*suddenly wakes up*

was anything said about snes emulation with this thing?

dnds5
October 25th, 2007, 21:26
they could do it with prepaid cards and serial numbers

kcajblue
October 26th, 2007, 06:06
Um pretty sure my homebrew card can already do this.. lolbut this would be for those people who dont use flashcarts.
its like the people who use official psp firmware.

Cloudhunter
October 26th, 2007, 16:25
yeah but will nintendo starting doing firmware updates that screw aroud with homebrew

interesting times ahead

Impossible wraggy. The way the homebrew flash carts work, it's not easy to block them.

This will just be a cart you buy I think.

Cloudy

ICE
October 26th, 2007, 16:35
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p shut the **** up

on a side note, if you have roms that are available to download (for money) and you didnt pay for them you are breaking the law

How do you know I dont own all of the games i have on my flash cart? In fact I actually do. I am no pirate sir. Simply someone who wants to play the games I already own on the go.

but this would be for those people who dont use flashcarts.
its like the people who use official psp firmware.

Yeah I know. My first post was just a joke. Then I get some no name telling me to shut up over it :P

spinal_cord
October 26th, 2007, 21:24
I'm seeing a slot-1 card with a gb emu and flash memory. I would assume absolutely no way to plug this thing into a pc to copy gb roms to and from it so the only way would be through wifi, perhaps a similar way to how virtual console on the wii works. As long as they keep the flash only readable from the ds itself, there would be no problem stopping people copying roms they downloaded by other means. I would also assume they would use some sort of pre-pay cards like with the wii, or even those useless (in Europe anyway) points you get for registering games on their website. I don't think there will be any piracy issued with this, not for a while anyway.