PDA

View Full Version : DS TV Tuner Dated, Priced For Japan

Shrygue
October 25th, 2007, 17:57
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-ds/ds-tv-tuner-dated-priced-for-japan-314869.php)

And nowhere else, so cool your jets. Nintendo have announced that their official TV tuner dongle thingy for the DS will hit Japan on November 20, and will set Japanese consumers back ¥6800 (USD$59 [£29]). Not cheap for what you get, but then, what price convenience and portability? Importers beware: it's a one-seg tuner.

acn010
October 25th, 2007, 18:25
SHIAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanted so bad T-T oh well

RowaN
October 25th, 2007, 19:05
I wonder if its DVB-T or analog.

puslar_t
October 25th, 2007, 23:41
Rubbish

Eyedunno
October 26th, 2007, 00:00
FINALLY. They announced this thing and showed it off along with the DS Lite and the NDS Browser. That was how long ago? Almost two years ago?

I wonder if its DVB-T or analog.
It's digital, but like it says in the article, it's 1seg, so it only works in Japan. 1seg is like an addition to the terrestrial digital broadcast system. It uses about 192kbps of bandwidth (or maybe even less; I forgot) to show 320X240 mp4 video.

kcajblue
October 26th, 2007, 03:58
these things usually suck.
i wonder how this one is gonna do.

wiggy fuzz
October 26th, 2007, 08:20
he he... rabbit ears... poke someone's eye out with that

Eyedunno
October 26th, 2007, 09:08
these things usually suck.
i wonder how this one is gonna do.
I'm actually betting the quality will be excellent. I've seen 1seg-compliant cellphones, and considering the bitrate, the picture is pretty damn clear. The things that might hinder this are the screen resolution of the DS and the bus speed of slot-1, but I'm still pretty sure it will look just fine.

Edit: Oh, but I'm in Japan. Let me stress again that unless you're in Japan or take frequest trips to Japan, if you buy this overseas (if it's even somehow possible), you will end up with a useless piece of expensive junk. Other countries use different systems for DMB, and the U.S. in particular doesn't seem as though it's going to even have such a system for a while yet (aside from Qualcomm's MediaFLO, which seems questionable as a solution due to its monopolistic nature).

LazerTag
October 26th, 2007, 16:47
Even if it worked outside of Japan what kind of stations can you really pick up (and get decent quality) out of the air. Our TV's, in the US at least, are pretty much worthless unless you have Cable, Dish, or an HD receiver. Otherwise the signal is just awful.

I'd rather have something to hook up my DS to a TV instead. ;)

Jan-H
October 26th, 2007, 17:25
I think it's rubbish, because the screens are too small....

gordonquinn
October 26th, 2007, 22:11
awesome! but itll fail miserably! just like the enormous gba one did before, also portable tvs always have a terrible picture :(

Sondar
October 27th, 2007, 05:44
Am I the only one here who likes the idea of this?

I mean you're getting TV on your DS! How cool is that! Yes the screens are small but that doesnt stop loads of people from using Moonshell as a video player. Yes, the picture isn't perfect but the GBA had the option of you plugging it into an arieal to improve quality. Stupid! I hear you cry! If you can do that then why not just watch TV! well because in some places (my school for example) they have Arieal sockets around the room. So I could just plug in and watch!

To conclude, it's a shame that Nintendo are only making this in Japan because a US and UK one could seriously crush the PSP. But i'm hopeful and content to wait.

Sondar.

kcajblue
October 27th, 2007, 09:03
I think it's rubbish, because the screens are too small....if you think the ds screen is to small.
then you wont like the new nano screen.