PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Emulator for the PSP WIP News

wraggster
July 14th, 2005, 18:35
<a href="http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2631" target="_blank" >PacManFan</a> has posted some great news of his attempts to port the Playstation emulator PCSX to the PSP console, heres what he posted:

<BLOCKQUOTE>Howdy everyone, PacManFan here.

I've been hacking away for the past 2 days on the open source PCSX Playstation emulator, trying to get it to run on the PSP.
I've finally had a little success.

Here's a bad screen shot of a demo running.

Before anyone says anything about the pitch being off, I know, I'm still figuring it out.

Before anyone asks:
1) it runs at about 1fps in the emulator
2) No, I haven't put it on my PSP yet, I'm still at work.
3) No, I haven't tried Game XYZ on it yet.
4) No, there is No sound, No controls, No way to specify roms yet.
5) After a little cleanup, I'll make the code available

Here's a todo list:
1) Find some volunteers to work on this with me.
2) put in a microwindows rom selector
3) put in mapped controls
4) add sound
5) Code a new recompiler for the r4000 chipset, right now there is the x86 and sh4 chipset <- this is a big one!
6) optimize the H3ll out of this.

Comments? </BLOCKQUOTE>

and also this

<BLOCKQUOTE>I've got the byte pitch figured out, and I've put in a control handler to map buttons and the directional pad. I haven't put in the analog controls yet. I've verified that the program runs fine on a PSP, and I've got optimizations turned on.
For the demo, I get about 4-5 FPS </BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds interesting :)

Amiga
July 14th, 2005, 18:48
From small seeds grow great oak trees :D

Cross
July 14th, 2005, 18:50
GREAT!!! Valkery Profile on my PSP...heheh and FF, Chrono Cross... lol I will help in any way I can just let me know!!!!

parabolee
July 14th, 2005, 19:07
impressive work, has a long way to go yet.

I would be very impressed if you get PS1 games running at a playable speed on PSP.

dgbbad
July 14th, 2005, 19:41
1 word.....castlvania.....i would crap my pants if i could play sotn anywhere.......omg......whoever gets this emulator figured out is my god.

shadowprophet
July 14th, 2005, 19:59
Eat that everbody who ever said it couldnt be done !!!!
I never doubted for even a micro seconed !!!

Zephyroth_drgs
July 14th, 2005, 20:17
omg just great, Final Fantasy Tactics Any where, hope this emulators grows and gets good enough to play fully games XD, gj, good going!

by the way.... anyone knows what happened to the VBA for psp? any update? :)

Zephyroth_drgs
July 14th, 2005, 20:19
Eat that everbody who ever said it couldnt be done !!!!
I never doubted for even a micro seconed !!!

yeah dude, :D , just can it be possible a 64 emu ? :D :D :) :eek: ocarina of time... hehe just wondering....for now... :rolleyes:

Kaiser
July 14th, 2005, 20:51
Resident Evil on the go.................................Someday

Oh damn need to switch into new pair of pants

D-Boy
July 14th, 2005, 21:26
Great great news, It had to happen sometime :p and I'm glad it's now good luck with this do your best!

JcBoyCool
July 14th, 2005, 21:29
this is the best news for the psp since the news of the iso launcher. I say it will take 2-3 weeks for this to run at 10 fps on the psp tho. In about a month and a half i say we get a near perfect running ps1 emulator.

Festizzio
July 14th, 2005, 21:32
Wow, really? I can't wait!!

Cap'n 1time
July 14th, 2005, 21:37
this is the best news for the psp since the news of the iso launcher. I say it will take 2-3 weeks for this to run at 10 fps on the psp tho. In about a month and a half i say we get a near perfect running ps1 emulator.

hEy! whEre d0 u get rOmZ |)u|)E?!

Žeddragon
July 14th, 2005, 21:55
hEy! whEre d0 u get rOmZ |)u|)E?!
Yep we are gonna hear that now lol. And we are gonna say "THERE IS NO ROMS FOR THE PS1 YOU n00B!111!!!11." lol. :rolleyes:

SnapeGrass
July 14th, 2005, 22:15
I knew it would happen eventually :D *tears*

jiggerstick
July 15th, 2005, 10:28
it's cool to see that it can be done, but what about the psp's lack of l2 and r2 buttons?

watoto
July 15th, 2005, 16:53
maybe they can be coded to screen and sound buttons?or they could be coded so that if you press l and r once it's just l1\r1,but if you keep pressed it's l2\r2

shizzle
July 15th, 2005, 18:24
or the home button could use it to be pressed, not that many games require th r2 buttons as a necisity, doesn't the gp32 hae psx??? WITH ONLY 2 FRONT BUTTONS, A POX ON THEE.

indstr
July 15th, 2005, 22:25
gp32 can't even emulate snes at 1/2 speed with sound. there is no way in hell it could emulate ps1 EVER. you're nuts