PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 Memory Stick?

PSP_Newbie
July 15th, 2005, 11:13
I've been hearing that if u format your memory stick with FAT32 via your comp, you can make it slightly faster and provide defragmenting support as well. My question is, is this true? will it still work 100% as before? no problems? or will it ruin the memory stick if u change it from it's FAT16 default? if anybody can confirm this that would be awsome :D
edit: err, sry if i put it in the wrong section :( i usually stick to this one

Cross
July 15th, 2005, 17:02
I did it to my card, thumbnails and things of that nature do seem a little quicker to respond. I have not tried Defraging it. But it does not affect anything everything still works fine.

parabolee
July 15th, 2005, 20:10
I defrag mine every few days, mainly because of updating all the latest homebrew onto it. Seems to work fine, and I never reformated mine to FAT32 either.

MSX
July 15th, 2005, 20:16
I formatted my card to FAT32, so here's how to do it:
First copy all the files from your memory stick to your computer, if you haven't formatted it with the PSP yet, do that, then copy everything to your computer. Then go to My Computer, right click on the PSP memory stick's drive, click format, and select FAT32. Once it's done, copy every thing back to the memory stick, and there you go! ;).

PSP_Newbie
July 16th, 2005, 09:21
alright, thnx a bunch guys! :D
if everything works fine and even a bit faster, i wonder y sony, etc don't just release the memory sticks with fat32 filing system alrdy setup as default :confused:
oh well, if everything works thats awsome, thnx for your help :D

MSX
July 16th, 2005, 09:41
My guess would be because the standard 32mb memory stick is too small to be formatted to the FAT32 file system.

RedKing14CA
July 16th, 2005, 09:56
so if i do this to my memstick, 512mb, would it perhaps be able to read atracs? hmmm.... i was able to put atracs on the 32mb one, but not the 612 made by sandisk... hmmm....

PSP_Newbie
July 16th, 2005, 10:14
My guess would be because the standard 32mb memory stick is too small to be formatted to the FAT32 file system.
err...too small? cause i got a standard come-with-psp 32mb stick, anyone know if formatting to FAT32 works with that? i dont want to try and screw it up, as its my only one...

MSX
July 16th, 2005, 11:33
Like I said earlier, the 32mb memory stick is too small to be formatted with the FAT32 file system, hence the reason why Sony went with FAT/FAT16.

You can try if you'd like, but Windows won't give you the option of formatting it to FAT32 ;).

PSP_Newbie
July 18th, 2005, 09:03
alright, thnx msx, i decided to just get that 512 memory stick pro duo ive been wanting for a while^^
really awsome, i can now run all the emulators, games, and doom wads i want w/out fear of runnign out of space, and can confirm that formatting to fat32 works great and works to defragment it too! thnx guys

Jdemon
July 19th, 2005, 20:06
I just did this to my 1GB card and I have to say..I'm extremely happy with the results. Both games and video seem to run alot smoother. Unfortunate that it won't work with the 32MB card since that's the card better suited for the smaller EMU's like NES and SEGA and it might improve performance there as well.