PDA

View Full Version : [TUTORIAL] How to play PS1 games on 3.71 M33-2

dwalk51
November 7th, 2007, 22:08
UPDATE2: BEFORE PM-ING ME FOR ANYTHING, PLEAZE DOWNLOAD THE FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS FILE AT THE BOTTOM FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS
NOTE 1: I WILL NOT BE PROVIDING THE PSX GAME FILES BECAUSE THAT IS ILLEGAL. IF YOU ASK FOR THEM I WILL LABEL YOU AN IDIOT.
NOTE 2:I RECENTLY CHECKED, AND THIS TUT STILL WORKS FOR M33 3.90-2 SO I'M GUESSING THAT IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYTHING INBETWEEN M33 3.71-3 AND 3.90-2
UPDATE------------>NOTE 3: I can't post the links to PSX games on the thread here, but if you PM me I will send you a good link that I use often to download the PSX games that I OWN
Before you start, make sure to download these files:

icetea1.3 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/icetea/)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2142/1924567966_f3fea071c1.jpg?v=0 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/icetea/)

This GUI by danny_kay1710 (http://dl.qj.net/PopStation-GUI-v1.0-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/11982/catid/151)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/1923735343_f58473ab56.jpg?v=0 (http://dl.qj.net/PopStation-GUI-v1.0-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/11982/catid/151)

PART 1:

Unzip/rar the two files and place them somewhere you won't forget. Also make sure NOT to move any of the files out of them.

Run Ice Tea program and choose your ISO to convert.

To save some major space, set the compression to "Best Compression", as it will dramatically reduce the size of the output EBOOT without sacrificing quality or playability IN THE LEAST. Make sure the "Game Title" is filled out for how you want the game to be named when you see it in your PSP. It doesn't have to be anything special, but you wouldn't want to label Final Fantasy VII as Barbey's Princess Pony Ride.

For more experienced users you can set it to expert mode to see more options for custom icons and what-not.

Wait for the program to finish and then you will be given an output folder titled as whatever you choose your game to be called.

PART 2:

Open the popstation GUI's folder you just downloaded (by default it will download as "11982_popstationguiv1")

Go to the "files" folder

take the keys.bin file and place it in the output folder with your games EBOOT file created at the end of part 1.

PART 3:

Plug in your PSP and go to USB mode.

Now take the folder with your game's EBOOT and the keys.bin file and place it in
X:\PSP\GAME (where X is your PSP's letter, for me it is E)

4th and Final part

press O to go back to the XMB (psp media bar used to launch UMD's, Pictures, Videos etc...)

Go over to the game section, and then scroll down to the "Memory Stick" section.

Open it and you should see your game labeled as whatever you choose in part 1.

ENJOY!!!
This is mainly meant for the oodles of noobs who want PS1 games on their PSP. Seeing how I am noobish, I can sympathize with them and so this is for them.

This was my first time EVER writing a tutorial for anything, so feedback would be great. Please do tell whether or not this worked for you or if you have and problems or find any typos. Thank You!

dwalk51
November 10th, 2007, 04:39
For all the times that this has been viewed, does nobody find it useful/not-useful?
Please, I want feedback as to my instruction writing ability.
Thank You

steveyh13
November 15th, 2007, 13:35
looks good but the program itself is already very self explanatory :P,

Darksurf
November 15th, 2007, 19:16
I found this very useful, as I am new to all of this psp modding stuff. Only been at it for 4 days now. I can't get this to work with 3.71 m33-3 . I need help, maybe I don't have popstation (currently disabled) set up correctly? any suggestions?

dwalk51
November 20th, 2007, 18:32
I found this very useful, as I am new to all of this psp modding stuff. Only been at it for 4 days now. I can't get this to work with 3.71 m33-3 . I need help, maybe I don't have popstation (currently disabled) set up correctly? any suggestions?

I'll see if I can help, but where exactly are you having trouble? Is everything fine up until you try to play it on your PSP?

NoxCaelum
November 20th, 2007, 18:51
I'm not really sure about this, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm on 3.71 M33-3, and I got Parasite Eve 2 working on my cfw, which as far as I've read only worked on 3.40 oe, but the seriously weird thing is that I don't have my keys.bin file in the same folder as my eboot. I'm not sure how this affects it cause when I put the keys.bin file back in the folder nothing happened. But until I took it out it wouldn't work. (Atleast I think that as what solved it)

I haven't tried this with other games yet, but I was wondering if anyone else knows about this or has experienced it. (Or would mind testing it out)

Oh and I used popstation and 3.10 pops that I used a hex editor on.

To Darksurf: It might be that you don't have the right pops set up on you psp. Did you do the set up for popsloader that came with 3.71 m33? And you might consider looking into what pops and/or cfw # the game has worked on before.

Taki2007
November 21st, 2007, 07:43
This was very helpful, indeed. Thank you!

TheLibra
November 26th, 2007, 05:18
i am not sure why... but this tutorial has not helped me to get Final Fantasy VIII working.

I got the original CDs into my disk drive and tried to rip the image using the program suggested... I followed all the steps... However, all that i ultimately got was a black screen. (Please note that this is my first time trying to get a ps1 game working... my psp lite has just been modded and i haven't tried to put any program on it yet)

Please help!

PSP Version: 3.71 m33-2
Game: Final Fantasy 8
KEYs.BIN FILE: the one from popstation, as suggested by the thread maker.

radicchix
November 28th, 2007, 02:47
thanks a lot for the help, Will try it now and will give my feedback ^^

radicchix
November 28th, 2007, 02:56
It froze on ps load screen, isn't chrono trigger compatible or did I do something wrong?

*I'm doing something wrong, can't pass the logo, am i creating the isos the wrong way?

*Created the iso with clone cd and it worked out, thanks

December 2nd, 2007, 05:21
I'm using psp slim on firmware 3.71 M33 and FF8 disc 1 works nicely. Thank you for the tutorial.

dwalk51
December 8th, 2007, 16:37
I'm using psp slim on firmware 3.71 M33 and FF8 disc 1 works nicely. Thank you for the tutorial.

Your quite welcome.
I had fun writing it

kelmi_i6
December 12th, 2007, 17:38
help, what do i need to do, i follow the steps above,
get an iso of FFVII, then after getting the eboot and paste it on my psp, i only get a black screen.

help i want to play FFVII on psp,

thanks

FW: 3.71 m33-2

kill_Rush
December 13th, 2007, 02:02
Being the newb I am, the guide was a huge help. Thanks :cool:

JPJunkie
December 13th, 2007, 12:41
Good Guide for Noobs

coffeepz
December 14th, 2007, 01:33
do you need a kernal addon like 1.5 or1.5v2

ckc
January 4th, 2008, 09:52
will try this now.. update you soon :)

ckc
January 4th, 2008, 09:55
no use if it's a mdf file?

ab_geee_eee
January 4th, 2008, 13:36
So can i switch discs on FF VII? I ripped and compressed my games using a different program and it worked fine but i havent passed the first disc on FF VII so i dont know if switching discs works...

ab_geee_eee
January 4th, 2008, 13:41
help, what do i need to do, i follow the steps above,
get an iso of FFVII, then after getting the eboot and paste it on my psp, i only get a black screen.

help i want to play FFVII on psp,

thanks

FW: 3.71 m33-2

You can also use Autopopstation instead of this and it works for me but I am not entirely sure that you can switch discs later on in the game... You can find a tutorial on how to rip and convert the games in youtube... PSP Hacking 101 made a tutorial on converting and it helped me..

Iceyjoint
January 13th, 2008, 11:48
im having a problem followed the guide but when i game started up i got the ps1 screen and then the screen went black . im on a psp slim with m33-2

Louth
January 16th, 2008, 23:31
I've been going through a retro phase and started playing Dragon Warrior 7 on my PSP running 3.71-4. Worked fine. I then upgraded to 3.80-1,2 and 4. The game will start but not load my save games. I started a new game, but it locked up after a few minutes. Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior?

BanePSP
January 17th, 2008, 02:07
Thanks very much! Will give it a go!

BanePSP
January 17th, 2008, 18:17
I tried Colony Wars from an old PSX disk I had in my cupboard and it booted up alright but I think it froze or was taking an age to load up?

sweet17th
January 26th, 2008, 19:20
i am not sure why... but this tutorial has not helped me to get Final Fantasy VIII working.

I got the original CDs into my disk drive and tried to rip the image using the program suggested... I followed all the steps... However, all that i ultimately got was a black screen. (Please note that this is my first time trying to get a ps1 game working... my psp lite has just been modded and i haven't tried to put any program on it yet)

Please help!

PSP Version: 3.71 m33-2
Game: Final Fantasy 8
KEYs.BIN FILE: the one from popstation, as suggested by the thread maker.
Well....i had already tested FFVIII psx game on my PSP Phat 3.71 M33...
Nothing gone wrong..
Here is what i do:
01. creating iso/cue using Alcohol120% (cue is recommd)
02. using POPSTATION GUI 3.00 for creating eboot.pbp file
03. note: i didn't change POPstation setting at all, let it be.
04. After finished..just transfer the eboot to my PHAT PSP.

That's all...

Oh, u said: "my psp lite has just been modded and i haven't tried to put any program on it yet"
..hmm maybe u haven't got popstation plugins installed on your PSP slim yet...
Ok..go to:
http://www.dark-alex.org/
Download "M33PopsLoader"
See?? Just follow the instruction for installation..then don't forget to go to you PSP Recovery Mode (turn off your PSP,not a sleep mode.Then push R while turning on your PSP slim)
then choose Plugins --> "enable" on Popstation.prx

Hope that will Help... :)

96BiT
January 27th, 2008, 02:32
very good, but some links to the programs would be nice. still very nice :)

sweet17th
January 29th, 2008, 15:57
very good, but some links to the programs would be nice. still very nice :)

If u meaned "POPSTATION GUI v3.00beta" ,
here is the link:

http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/downloads.php?action=download&did=24

-->it is very easy to operate, so no need to tell how to do this or that.. :)

Give it a try.. :cool:

Kool_PSP
February 11th, 2008, 06:13
ya i have a problem..im running 3.71 m33-4

but even wen i was m33 only my game (gundam battle assault 2) would load..the screen works..the intro would play but if i try to play the game it freezes..what do i do? thanks

*it did this while i had m33 and m33-2 also

Kool_PSP
February 12th, 2008, 02:01
does anyone know?

dwalk51
February 15th, 2008, 15:12
I apologize but I don't know why it's doing that.

dwalk51
February 15th, 2008, 15:15
Okay everyone, I'm sorry for being away for so long and leaving this thread without support.
I recently switched to a mac, and it has taken me a while to go through all the cool applications and play with photobooth.
But I'm back now and I can reply to your PM's again. I am about to update the thread to work with M33 390-2 and I hope to help everyone with ails or problems

Kool_PSP
February 15th, 2008, 17:24
ok..well thanks for trying

finalheavenxi
February 21st, 2008, 09:30
Well this tutorial helped me but I have a question. Will the PSP only run the eboot files labeled as "eboot.pbp" or could it load "eboot1.pbp","eboot2.pbp" and so forth. I mainly want to know because I want to create eboots for all three of my disks and dump then on my psp.

sweet17th
February 21st, 2008, 12:51
Oh..I know what u meaned.
If u want to play (such as) FFVII, try to find application that will help u create multidisk eboot.pbp...that how m33 works for the game contains more than 1 disk.
(but..honestly,i haven't tried it, yet.)

sweet17th
February 21st, 2008, 13:17
Well..that short of behavior sometimes happen.Try to re-create ur eboot.pbp is the easiest way.But 1 thing for sure is..some games do not work on M33 cfw..parasite eve II for an example..(that work on 3.10 oea, 3.11 oea, and 340 oea)oh..i use 3.71 M33-4.Anyway,why dont u try to play some old emu on ur PSP..it is fun to play classic genesin (DGEN) or snes (snes9TY) games..Try it..(really2 FUN!!) ^_^

guitarguy93
February 24th, 2008, 17:48
I successfully created files game files for two games(Crash Bandicoot: Warped and Mortal Kombat II) but when I go to play them, I just get a black screen. I'm running M33 3.90, and I have the 3.90 homebrew kernel enabled.

Happyboy0210
April 2nd, 2008, 08:55
I am also a noob. Thanks for the step by step tutorial. Not all games work but some do. Thanks

Happyboy0210
April 2nd, 2008, 19:51
Well this tutorial helped me but I have a question. Will the PSP only run the eboot files labeled as "eboot.pbp" or could it load "eboot1.pbp","eboot2.pbp" and so forth. I mainly want to know because I want to create eboots for all three of my disks and dump then on my psp.

How do you create/play games with 2 discs needed? Please reply! Thanks!

mastercodec
April 9th, 2008, 14:29
thanks i was looking for a solid convertor, the one i have currenlty got is crap!

ArmageddonAsh
April 12th, 2008, 03:43
i have the ISO in several parts, do i use Winrar to merge them (the game im talking about is FF7, 3 disks) then just use this guide to make a EBOOT.pbp so it will work on my psp?

right so i have the 3 ISO's for FF7, disc 1, 2, and 3 what do i do to them to make them work on the PSP i heard i have to make a EBOOT.pbp file from them, is that for each disc? or do i use WinRar to make each part of the ISO into 1 big one then use that?

the_sandman
April 15th, 2008, 04:03
Thank you for your info. I tried doing all that, but it says my file is copyright protected. What do I do?:(

tae4u2cu2
April 19th, 2008, 18:43
so wat are the cool links cause i cant find psx games anywhere

capricornxs3
December 18th, 2008, 06:54
thanks ive been trying to get ff8 to work on my psp for ages... but i have no idea what a popsloader is... and how to get a popsloader on psp.... ahhh...

darkmoon101
December 20th, 2008, 14:34
Nice tutorial ! I just buy a PsP and start trying some add on it and it work great ! i can finally play suikoden again ! thx for this !:thumbup:

badboy.mjk
January 20th, 2009, 14:15
Thanks for the post adds new life to the PSP

Wite_Lyght
May 26th, 2009, 05:03
great tut