PDA

View Full Version : DS Halo and WoW

LordMerlin
November 9th, 2007, 02:51
Hey all! I'm hoping to get some insight on this topic. I've started work on Halo port for the DS and was wondering if some other people would want to contribute to it. The code I have now is nothing ground breaking or spectacular as I have just started this project, but it's moving along quite nicely. I'm using N3D and am running in to a few problems with it. Perhaps someone can help me out, the problems I'm having are with the light source (it's just really flickery when you change the view) and the projection matrix (I'm really not even sure what or how it works, but I notice that with bigger maps it could be a problem). As for WoW, it's really only a concept, but WoW private servers use MySQL databases to store information, ie character location, items etc. Using that, one could build a client for the DS that accesses that information and renders it. If you need the specifics contact me, e-mail/MSN:[email protected], AIM:N3cr0s1s57. Waiting to hear back!

wiggy fuzz
November 9th, 2007, 16:29
are you for real? i've only come across such people in my dreams...

unfortunatley i have no programming skills, but i can get around some very basic 3d modelling (very basic)

seriously, though, if i so much as see master cheif driving around on a banshee on the ds screen i shall cut my own leg off and give it to some starving dogs :thumbup:

and so far it's looking like my leg's going to loose

Some jerk
November 10th, 2007, 05:54
I've got no skill at programing but good luck!

LordMerlin
November 12th, 2007, 22:23
The modeling shouldn't be difficult as I've been extracting them from the actual game. But thanks for the offer :-)

lorddeathmark
November 15th, 2007, 11:18
wow, you make this work, we might see someone put the marathon (bungee software ftw) series on ds.

LBI Surf
November 16th, 2007, 00:27
This would be incredible. If this works, I'll definitely do anything it takes to run it on my DS.

murgero1
November 28th, 2007, 23:40
good luck on this! i have only little c++ skills lil' php and javascript. but hope u get it done fast!

w00tman X
December 13th, 2007, 07:34
XD

I hope you guys aren't serious. Note that the DS has a mere 4 megabytes of memory, and Halo/WoW require, say, 256-1 Gigabyte of memory. Keep dreaming, because it just won't happen.

Got that?

It won't happen.

LordMerlin
December 16th, 2007, 03:56
First, you should learn how the DS's hardware works. If you've ever looked at commercial rom sizes, you'll notice that most exceed 4 mb and around 128 mb. But even so, a nice game doesn't have to be huge to exist. Besides, the biggest space-eater in these type games are textures/sprites not actually coding. So perhaps it won't look terribly nice... But that doesn't change the fact that it can and will happen. As I stated before, Halo was already in the makes. So please, before posting something terribly stupid, do a little research.

Got that?

Do a little research.

ExcruciationX
December 16th, 2007, 04:56
Nah, W00Tman, you're the idiot.

Here's some points you may want to consider...

1. He didn't mean literally porting Halo to the DS. It would take days to load, and even if you could compress it down small enough to fit on a flashcart, you'd still have to find the source code, which isn't publicly available. He means he's making his own, and I say good luck. :)

2. No video games require more then a few hundred megabytes of RAM to run. If you're talking about storage, nothing uses more then ten gigabytes.

There's probably a few more arguments I didn't consider, or know about. Asking a coder would be the best route.

blackdragon1020
December 20th, 2007, 21:53
i am also working on a halo ds project how ever even if they're more then one version i wish you luck also i like the idea of halo ds XD

w00tman X
December 21st, 2007, 03:28
Right-o, I'm the Idiot. I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

And, uh... I didn't mean that the maximum ROM size was 4mb, I stated that the DS has a mere 4mb of RAM, and that the PC version of Halo requires in excess of 128mb.

Anyways, Good luck with it, man.

mrgimpface
March 25th, 2008, 22:21
good luck to you.

i really look forward to seeing halo on DS.

[=

michael1384
April 19th, 2008, 12:33
Good luck.

Really looking forward to it.

:-)

nightshack
April 21st, 2008, 01:13
Remaking Halo for DS? Maybe... and it would look alike call of duty for DS
But..WoW?

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots_pc/world1_large.jpg

Fredgoobus
April 21st, 2008, 22:09
You guys ever see the Halo DS demo? Youtube Halo DS. Metroid Prime ripoff by the looks of it...

nightshack
April 29th, 2008, 04:34
Fredgoobus: Uhh that thing was made by Bungie but they stopped developing after they made the demo..IGN video tells that

Danief
April 29th, 2008, 18:23
dude. if you do this, please make sure you include one thing... adjustable controls. i cant stand the way metroid prime uses the touch screen... i have to use the button mode.

if this game ever comes to be, i will pee my pants. could you give us what you have so far... or some screen shots?

kingslime80
May 23rd, 2008, 04:27
Wow. Ambitious projects you've got there. I only wish I had the experience to help you out. :) Perhaps if you get it to work you can try WoW on the Wii?

fenrir911
May 26th, 2008, 19:54
the ds has a mere 32 mbs of ram and 28 of it goes to just running the thing, theres no way he can port the ds and extracting the models doesnt help the least bit, because each model takes about 10 mbs to just be rendered not to mention the animations and sorts. so theres no way he can port it, but he can remake it. thats what i would suggest, remaking it. i have some experience with c++ on the PSP but none on the DS.

make your own models too cause you will get some legal and illegal action if you use there models directly and if you edit them without there permission.
oh and alien dude(cant remember name so pls no offence) gears of war takes 1.5 gigs of ram to run good with 512 mb of video ram, and it takes up 12 gigs of harddrive space.

Shaun-E
May 27th, 2008, 23:42
I think more coders should at least consider not calling something that isn't a port a port.

masterpaul
June 8th, 2009, 20:03
Halo DS i guess is possible.

Aslong as u create models, and not port them. You need to use models that take as little as possible ram space. And you wuld have to star from scratch, build it ground-up for the ds

However WOW on DS... jus forget about t.

grace12
November 27th, 2009, 02:38
I've got no skill at programing but good luck!

grace12
November 27th, 2009, 02:39
Married with Children DVD (http://www.dvdcollects.com/products/Married-with-Children-Seasons-1-11-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1943.html)
Underbelly DVD (http://www.dvdcollects.com/products/Underbelly-Seasons-1-2-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1946.html)

ashxu
December 22nd, 2009, 10:41
http://forum.halo4iphone.com/

Halo DS port already in the works.

cojobe
September 19th, 2010, 18:42
well then, tell that to my me, WHILE I PLAY HALO ON MY DS!

DarthTemplar312
September 24th, 2010, 04:32
link?