PDA

View Full Version : Neo-Geo -- confused..!

Haisook
November 9th, 2007, 09:58
Well, I played the Neo-Geo arcade games back in my childhood a lot. They were great.

Now I got NGEPSP 0.2.2 to play these games again on my PSP.

The dilemma is I've found that there are 3 models (systems?) of Neo-Geo to date; Neo-Geo, Neo-Geo CD, Neo-Geo CDZ.

Now what's the difference between each?

Also, is the emulator I'm using the most competent out there? I don't like to be missing a better one.

I'd appreciate your clarifications..

Haisook
November 10th, 2007, 21:23
Anyone..?

SSaxdude
November 10th, 2007, 23:22
Neo Geo was the cartridge form used in arcades (Neo Geo AES) and home use (Neo Geo MVS). Both were the same in terms of hardware.

The Neo Geo CD was used for home use only. It had a CD drive instead of cartridge slot because CDs are much cheaper than the cartridges used in the AES/MVS. The CD drive in the Neo Geo CD was very slow, and that's why the Neo Geo CDZ was released (it had a faster drive.) The CDZ uses the same games used in the CD.

Both can be emulated on the PSP, but you have to use a separate emulator for Neo Geo emulation and for Neo Geo CD emulation. Neo Geo CD emulation generally runs better due to less memory constraints, but less games were released for the Neo Geo CD and the games take up much more space. You can find the emulators here at DCEmu.

Haisook
November 11th, 2007, 12:23
Wow.. thanks a lot for your very precise reply.
Now I know what I'm doing.

Btw, what do you think is the best emulator for Neo Geo (cartridge-base)? I use NGEPSP 0.2.2 as I said above, and it won't work unless I create a cache file for each game. Is this ok? Any better options?

Thanks again!