PDA

View Full Version : Slim or phat?

fjgrf
November 13th, 2007, 01:29
Hey. I used to love homebrew on my DS, but the psp's big screen and internet made me want to get one. So I was wondering, which would you recommend for homebrew? All I know is that the slim is lighter and connects to TV's, but a lot of homebrew only works on the old ones. Which one should I get? Thanks

pibs
November 13th, 2007, 02:21
Id say get the phat since its easier to mod. But if you have a friend who has a homebrew psp already then get the slim to create a pandora battery with the phat to downgrade your slim and install the custom firmware.

Wally
November 13th, 2007, 08:33
Definitely slim.

Johnny Rash
November 13th, 2007, 08:36
I would normally tell you to go with the Phat because it's better.

But for this thread (with the same title as 30 other threads about this same subject),
I'll tell you to go with the Slim.

JKKDARK
November 13th, 2007, 14:18
Personally I prefer the phat model. The slim is not slim enough

kjetil1991
November 14th, 2007, 08:41
fat is the best home brew device because of 1.5 kernel =) slim does not

Raziel-chan
November 14th, 2007, 09:25
fat is the best home brew device because of 1.5 kernel =) slim does not

But homebrew programmers are updating their work to work in user mode for the slim, not to mention that the extra ram makes some homebrew better on the slim, like the CPS2 emulator that does not anymore need to have roms cached by the user prior to using it.

So both cover partially overlapping sectors in homebrew - phat can run the kernel mode 1.5 homebrew, while slim lets coders use more memory and TV-out. Not to mention that rad new D-pad :3

cya
Raziel-chan

mike_jmg
November 16th, 2007, 03:10
I was forgetting about the D-pad, in the slim is better
I'd say slim

yep, that was a killer one, now I remember why I wanted the slim

dwalk51
November 20th, 2007, 18:29
Depends on what you will be doing.
Phat has the most compatibility, and it also has Infrared, which can be used to control the channels on your TV or buzz a little helicopter around.
But the slim doesn't look bad either. It has more RAM, so in other words the UMDs will load faster, and homebrew developers have more room to use the extra memory, but also the slim doesn't have support for 1.5 kernal, so basically it can't run all homebrew right now, but it can still run a good deal of it. And developers are constantly updating their programs with compatibility for the Slim.

All in all, the Slim will eventually be totally supported with it's RAM and TV out and eveything, and the need for the 1.5 kernal will be gone, but it will never have IR, unless you mod it.

And the Phat will live on as the current choice for hardcore homebrewers and modders until then.
Good Luck choosing!

acn010
November 20th, 2007, 19:34
acn010 says "buy the slim!!!!"
why??? just trust me ;3
acn010 has spoken XD