PDA

View Full Version : Variety says Mario Galaxy shows Wii's weaknesses

wraggster
November 14th, 2007, 22:52
Here at Joystiq, we like to have some fun with our Nega-reviews. When the critical apparatus tells us almost unanimously that a game is undeniably good, we like to pick apart their words and find out what small negatives can be found in the overwhelmingly positive whole. This was a bit tough for Super Mario Galaxy, a game that got high praise all around. It wouldn't have been nearly as tough if we'd had access to Variety's review of the game, which went up on Monday.

While the Variety review praises the game's original level design and gravity-based gameplay, the majority of the writing picks apart the game's weak story, limited two-player mode and awkward camera controls. What's more, a large portion of the review seems targeted at the Wii itself, from blanket condemnation of the two-handed controller ("Holding the nunchuk, ... and the Wii-mote ... in separate hands, is an awkward arrangement") to criticism of the system's graphical prowess ("Fans may claim that the graphics are good 'for the Wii,' ... but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction ... Galaxy looks old fashioned and lifeless.")

While we can't say we agree with all the criticisms, it's always interesting to see a major outlet going against the tide of positive opinion to create a negative review. You know, a real one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/14/variety-says-mario-galaxy-shows-wiis-weaknesses/

AngelicLiver
November 15th, 2007, 12:02
"Fans may claim that the graphics are good 'for the Wii,' ... but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction ... Galaxy looks old fashioned and lifeless."

Whilst Ratchet and Clank was a good platforming romp with all the graphical bells and whistles, I still stand by the fact it doesn't have a soul. Super Mario Galaxy is beautiful. I get the impression this review either came sponsored by Sony or the reviewer has an unshakable bias.

Galaxy has won the hearts of my hard line, Wii hating, PS3 fanboy friends and I'd recommend it to anyone. I also can't wait for Mass Effect to turn up this week...

geise69
November 15th, 2007, 12:52
I've never listened to reviews or critics. If I'm interested in a game I'm gonna try it and make my own judgement. If I listened to critics I never would've bought a Turbo Duo, Sega Saturn, Sega Nomad and hundreds of games that to me were very good but got not so hot reviews. However most games I play have never come state side so....

Accordion
November 15th, 2007, 12:52
its not a bad review at all, i agree.

Its not hard to be disappointed in the fact that the best games for the Wii make little use of the controls, the only good the Wii remote is capable of is light gun games, which are not new at all.

ganondorf
November 15th, 2007, 13:16
its not a bad review at all, i agree.

Its not hard to be disappointed in the fact that the best games for the Wii make little use of the controls, the only good the Wii remote is capable of is light gun games, which are not new at all.

omg, dude,, cmon. Whats up with you hating on almost all nintendo games?

How can you criticise the wii's best game so far, and say its just old fashioned?

When Im playing mario galaxy, I think the nunchuck and wiimote are the best pair. The controls are really good. The wiimote is used are a star bit shooter in super mario galaxy, its brilliant.

ICE
November 15th, 2007, 15:37
The point of the Wii was to simply play games that are fun. Mario Galaxy is the epitome of everything the Wii is about. If using tons of waggle makes the game fun they'll do it. If the game is better suited to use less they'll do it so long as its FUN.

You people complain that games are using too much waggle and then when the highest rated next gen game ever comes along with less you complain about that too?

Oh and if you are still in your little delusion that light gun games are the extent of Wiimote usage maybe try picking up MP3, MoHH 2, Trauma Center, Zack and Wiki etc etc.

Gold Line
November 15th, 2007, 15:57
Accordion your just a plain ps3 fanboy so get out!

mario has a huge chance of being GOTY its even got better reviews than halo 3 on most sites.

ICE
November 15th, 2007, 16:00
The only real competition for GoTY Mario has is Mass Effect. Mario averaged the highest review scored of any next gen game to date and looks to be the first competition to OoT ever lol

Accordion
November 15th, 2007, 16:47

?
Why do i still own my Wii then?

Demand is high enough to make my money back, but i wont sell it.

ganondorf
November 15th, 2007, 21:34
?
Why do i still own my Wii then?

Demand is high enough to make my money back, but i wont sell it.

Than go buy mario galaxy, if you already have it, which I doubt, then actually play the game.

You will enjoy it, I know I am! :)

Accordion
November 16th, 2007, 00:17
hmm.

i might buy Endless Ocean though.

ganondorf
November 16th, 2007, 00:33
Do whatever pleases you.

I heard endless Ocean is pretty good.

lipnox88
November 16th, 2007, 00:53

mario has a huge chance of being GOTY its even got better reviews than halo 3 on most sites.

halo 3 is on the bottom of the list lol. Bioshock, The Orange box, RockBand, and Mass Effect are the games that are Rivaling for game of the year. Along with Galaxy Of course, but Given that ive played bioshock and the orange box, I think that there is already some steep competition I am a casual gamer who loves Mario games so naturally Galaxy is dream come true, but Bioshock and the Orange box are both such deep games with so much power behind them it will be interesting to see if graphics really determine game of the year.

ICE
November 16th, 2007, 03:10
Mass Effect is the only one close as far as I can tell. They're both classics whereas the others are great for sure but not "classic".

mesosade
November 16th, 2007, 14:37
With all the endless ports and first-person crap that is starting to flood the market your accusing mario? The greatest videogame mascot of ALL time of being old fashioned? Sorry but when 5000 titles of endless crap enducing first-person crap keeps hitting my consoles i'm glad that the plumber has a great game that reminds 'fanboys' that a game doesn't need to have amazing vizuals or guns. Now please.

For the love of what games were truly meant to be (gameplay NOT visuals)

Stop.

No matter how good a current gen game is it is not a classic.

the_skip
November 17th, 2007, 20:12
halo 3 is on the bottom of the list lol. Bioshock, The Orange box, RockBand, and Mass Effect are the games that are Rivaling for game of the year. Along with Galaxy Of course, but Given that ive played bioshock and the orange box, I think that there is already some steep competition I am a casual gamer who loves Mario games so naturally Galaxy is dream come true, but Bioshock and the Orange box are both such deep games with so much power behind them it will be interesting to see if graphics really determine game of the year.

Arn't all of those first person shoters. Sith those all you need are impresive grahpics and a story line that includes aliens and some maps to make in many people's opion a good game. I like the wii since it isn't all 1st person shooters like the ps3 and xbox360. THe wii has adventure games and platformser which were what video games used to be like. I don't really care what type of alien you can think of next but rather make a game where you could have it with n64 level graphics and still make it a good game then it is a good game, not something where you put all the bells and whistles to make it look realistic