PDA

View Full Version : PicoDrive - Genesis/Sega CD Emulator for PSP - Compatability List

wraggster
November 18th, 2007, 05:59
Notaz has today released the worlds first Sega CD (Genesis too) emulator for the PSP (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79599).

Please post your Compatability Findings in this topic

State Whether game is Genesis/Sega CD and speed/graphics issues etc

Thanks

walliester
November 18th, 2007, 06:39
well i think this ones it, it runs most roms that i have for the genesis(dgen 1.70 folder)and two of the sega cd and it runs smooth and fast with frameskip at 0.So props to every one who developed picodrive,to the psp

Bastion
November 18th, 2007, 07:58
Sega CD Games:
Smurfs-Perfect
Lunar I and II-Perfect
Snatcher-Perfect
Vay-Perfect
Popfulmail--Froze on me in game after a few minutes

Aryn
November 18th, 2007, 09:07
Ninja Warriors: Perfect
Novastorm: Way too slow, extremely jerky when enemies are on the screen
3X3 Eyes: Does not get past the SEGA logo
Afterburner III: Perfect when playing the game, display is too slow in the opening animation with voiceover
AH3 Thunderstrike: Perfect in opening animations, frame rate is too slow in game

suddene
November 18th, 2007, 09:39
Sega cd:

Shining Force : Perfect! playe through to 2nd act, save works fine, no glitches anywhere, music very fluid!

Brutal Paws of Fury: Video and gameplay perfect, sound cuts out at first round for some reason,might be my settings, not sure

Sonic Cd: Perfect played some of first level, played great

Dragons Layer: played a few scenes Perfect , (haha what a great game to play on psp)

Dark Wizard: loads sega logo, then black screen ( while loading iso, emu gave me a warning that the mp3s must be 44k stereo, I checked each one, they all were 44k stereo, maybe reason why the game is not loading? not sure)

Awesome emu and Congrats to the creators/developers@!

pibs
November 18th, 2007, 10:18
it runs simpsons barts nightmare (genesis) game for some reason Dgen turns off my psp when trying to load it.

Shyvnal
November 18th, 2007, 10:20
Road Avenger (Sega CD): Had to encode the .mp3's to 32kbps, 44100Hz, stereo for it to load without errors. Then i had to turn "Better sync (slow)" on for it to actually load up.

ED13
November 18th, 2007, 10:46
SEGA CD:
1. The Terminator (U) - seems to run fine*
2. Earthworm Jim- Special Edition (E) - seems to run fine*
3. DUNE (U) - seems to run fine*

*on default settings

240-185
November 18th, 2007, 11:07
Dragon's Lair (US) - Works. Just find the fun.
Night Trap (French) - Works. If you want to change to CD2, save state before swapping.

yama8bigdog
November 18th, 2007, 11:09
SegaCD-Heart of the Alien - Flawless. This was also called Out of this World for SNES. Plus the sequel which is Sega CD only!

PhoenixFeather
November 18th, 2007, 13:21
SegaCD games:

Robo Aleste - works fine
Silpheed - works fine
Lords of thunder - works fine
Popful mail - Hangs up (too bad) EDIT: seems to work with some tweakings (but i'm not sure which one)

M Dash
November 18th, 2007, 13:56
Red -> Doesn't Work.
Green -> Work's Great. Flawlessly.
Orange -> Has bugs.
Blue -> Needs Some Config alterations.

Total Tests:
Mega Drive / Genesis -> 24 Games.
Sega CD / Mega CD -> 3 Games.
Sega 32X / Mega 32X -> 1 Game.

I recommend setting sound to 22050Hz Stereo for everything.
Runs with better speed that way.
Specially in Sonic & Knuckles's Lock-On ROMS.

Mega Drive / Genesis Games:

Sonic & Knuckles -> Works Great.
IF YOU ARE USING THE ROM WITH CRC32 16EC7FC8 IT WON'T WORK!
Sonic 1 & Knuckles
Sonic 2 & Knuckles -> Runs Cool. Sometimes sound loses a little accuracy. Set option "accurate timing" ON to correct this.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Sonic Compilation - These settings also apply to solo roms.
---> Sonic The Hedgehog 1: Runs Cool. The option of changing between 50 FPS and 60 FPS works GREAT.
---> Dr. Robotnik Mean Bean Machine
---> Sonic The Hedgehog 2: Runs Cool. Sometimes sound loses a little accuracy. Set option "accurate timing" ON to correct this.

Sonic 3D Blast -> Runs Great. I recommend to use the analog stick to control Sonic.
Sonic Spinball (European Version)
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 (JAP Revision 02) -> Runs Flawlessly. The option of changing between 50 FPS and 60 FPS works GREAT.
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 BETA
Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Columns
Dragon Ball Z (JAP)
Super Monaco GP
Jurassik Park
Castlevania Bloodlines (USA)
Castlevania The New Generation (EUR)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles : The Hyperstone Heist

Streets of Rage 1
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

-----

Mega CD Games:

Sonic CD (European with CDDA) -> Runs EXTREMELLY Great in zones. IN SPECIAL STAGES you can't see the ground if Scale/Rot. fx (slow) is OFF! You MUST set it ON. Also, in special stages, the Sound effects stop working after a while of play (this bug also happens in the original Gens emulator (for Windows)).

Sol-Feace -> Doesn't Run. Doesn't pass the Sonic BIOS screen. (I tested it without using MP3 files.)

Snatcher (T-95035) (U) (Rev.00)

---

Sega 32X Games:

Knuckles Chaotix (PAL) -> Just tried to load it and turns the message: Developed For Use Only With Super32X Systems.

Of course, I know the emulator is only for Genesis/ Mega Drive and Mega/Sega CD, so, it was only a curiosity.

---

This is, indeed the BEST GENESIS MEGA DRIVE EMULATOR FOR THE PSP!
Indeed, not even DGEN can surpass this emulator.

Just one little flaw: Sound must be improved a little.

BUG FOUND: If you try to test the Sega CD BIOS (I tried with European one... Don't know if will happen with other BIOS's) and then load up a ROM/ISO, the emulator will fail to load it.
Also, the emulator will indeed test the selected BIOS, but if you head to the BIOS options screen, it will all be screwed up. This happens even when loading an ISO, and instead of heading to the game, go to the BIOS menu.
UPDATE: According to notaz, this bug happens if you are using Model1 BIOS files. Indeed this happened to me using those files. However, tests are still going to be made using Model2 BIOS files and the results will be updated here.

Despite that, WORKS 100%.

niu10912
November 18th, 2007, 14:24
MEGA CD
-Mortal Kombat (U): can't play

Saracchini
November 18th, 2007, 14:54
I tested these Genesis games and all then worked with 100% speed and no failures.Basicaly i tested games wich do not runs perfectly in PSPGenesis/DGEN

Aeroblasters
Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle
Alladin
Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines (Non censored version)
Contra: Hard Cops
Dahnah
Dragon Ball Z: Buyu Retsuden
Ghouls īn Ghosts
Jurassic Park
Jurasic Park II - Lost World
MickeyMania
Megaman: Wily Wars (E)
Mortal Kombat 2
Phantasy Star 2
Phantay Star 3
Phantasy Star 4 ( SRAM saves tested too)
Road Rash 3
Revenge of Shinobi
Rolling Thunder 2
Rolling Thunder 3
Second Samurai
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi 3
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic & Knucles
Sonic 3D
Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Vectorman

Bugs/Glithches

After Burner - No music afetr intro screen, sea/land not renderized correctly
Arcus Odissey - Intro animation with paralax movement not correctly renderized.. .as PicoDrive for s60
Golde Axe 3 - desync in intro music with animation

Iīll test some unrelated Sega CD games later.

Tyr
November 18th, 2007, 15:27
Great for us shooter fans:

Dennin Aleste (J) - Works great
Keio's flying squadron (US) - Works great
Bari-Arm (J) - Works great
Lords Of Thunder (U) - Works great

All tested with default settings.

Thank you Notaz for porting this great emu.

Baboon
November 18th, 2007, 16:25
Sega CD games running perfect:

The Ninja Warriors
Final Fight CD
Flashback
Snatcher
Sonic CD
Robo Aleste
Starwars chess
Mad Dog Mcree
WWF Rage in a Cage

Happy days! :)

notaz
November 18th, 2007, 17:59
Novastorm: Way too slow, extremely jerky when enemies are on the screen
AH3 Thunderstrike: Perfect in opening animations, frame rate is too slow in game
You can try to disable Z80 to improve things..

Sega cd:
Dark Wizard: loads sega logo, then black screen ( while loading iso, emu gave me a warning that the mp3s must be 44k stereo, I checked each one, they all were 44k stereo, maybe reason why the game is not loading? not sure)

Might be things like mp3pro or bad headers. Also AFAIK this game needs "better sync" to be enabled.

Popful mail - Hangs up (too bad) EDIT: seems to work with some tweakings (but i'm not sure which one)

MEGA CD
-Mortal Kombat (U): can't play
Both need "better sync" to start, which can be disabled when started.

M Dash
November 18th, 2007, 18:10
I tested these Genesis games and all then worked with 100% speed and no failures.Basicaly i tested games wich do not runs perfectly in PSPGenesis/DGEN

Sonic & Knucles

Hi there, Sonic & Knuckles worked for you?

Did you need to change some configs?

notaz
November 18th, 2007, 18:24
Sonic & Knuckles -> Locks the emulator. PSP resets.

Works fine for me. Might be a bad ROM.

Of course, I know the emulator is only for Genesis/ Mega Drive and Mega/Sega CD, but STILL, maybe 32X emulation is not that far...

No, it wasn't even started.

BUG FOUND: If you try to test the Sega CD BIOS (I tried with European one... Don't know if will happen with other BIOS's) and then load up a ROM/ISO, the emulator will fail to load it.
Also, the emulator will indeed test the selected BIOS, but if you head to the BIOS options screen, it will all be screwed up. This happens even when loading an ISO, and instead of heading to the game, go to the BIOS menu.

That BIOS hits a bug of some kind.. model2 EU BIOS seems to work fine, though.

Mr.Denny
November 18th, 2007, 18:27
Stunning emu!

Sorry for doubting you notaz. seriously, this is a dream come true for me. :)

M Dash
November 18th, 2007, 19:29
Works fine for me. Might be a bad ROM.

I'll check it... Can you give me the CRC32 of your ROM please?

My ROM is: 16EC7FC8

UPDATE: Works OK. Just tested it with another ROM.

No, it wasn't even started.

I know.. :P XD Was just a curiosity.

That BIOS hits a bug of some kind.. model2 EU BIOS seems to work fine, though.

My BIOS files are:

eu_mcd1_9210 - CRC: 529AC15A
jp_mcd1_9112 - CRC: 9D2DA8F2
us_scd1_9210 - CRC: C6D10268

What's your's? Thank you.

kharaboudjan
November 18th, 2007, 21:02
i have tried some sega cd games now too:

After burner iii (US) Set to Frameskip 1 since fast render seems to bug the graphics up.. very playable! not my favorite game though

Android assault (US) set to Fast render and then no frameskip is needed. the game is my darling that all shoot em up fans has to play! set the scale factor to 1.25 so it fits the psp screen better!

Keio's flying squadron (US) Set to Fast render and then no frameskip is needed. set the scale factor to 1.25 so it fits the psp screen better! very, very nice cutie old school shooter.

lords of thunder (US) Almost full speed. set to Fast render and it will be. no frameskip is needed. great game. too bad the sound from the weapons is to loudy and the music to silent..

robo aleste (EU) Almost full speed all the time. set to fast render to have 100 % full speed! cool hi res shooter =)

Slipheed (EU) fast render mode distrubs the graphics very much. the audio is a bit glitchy. it wont help set frameskip to 1.
my scale factor: 1.32
very innovtive shooter.

sonic the hedgehog cd (US) nice sonic game. Set to Fast render and then no frameskip is needed. the game is perfectly emulated then. but the psp screen isnt good enough sometimes for this game (when sonic is in a hurry)

jamotto
November 18th, 2007, 22:05
Sega CD - default config

Batman Returns - runs, but frame rate during play is in the single digits.

Secret of Monkey Island - flawless

Terminator - runs, frame rate around 14 fps.

Spider man Vs. Kingpin - runs, frame rate slow downs frequent during the bus stages.

World Cup USA 94 - flawless

Wing Commander - flawless

pibs
November 18th, 2007, 22:53
On sonic cd are the coins suppose to be underground? it runs flawlessly but that was something that was quite unusual... im using the US version.

roflbean234234
November 18th, 2007, 23:41
Hey, I just tried Third World War for SegaCD on pico, but it seems to crash after the loading bar. Using the first version of NA SCD bios, is there a certain program I should use for ripping the game CD guys?

notaz
November 19th, 2007, 00:30
eu_mcd1_9210 - CRC: 529AC15A
jp_mcd1_9112 - CRC: 9D2DA8F2
us_scd1_9210 - CRC: C6D10268

What's your's? Thank you.
Don't have them with me right now, but the ones named eu_mcd2_*and us_scd2_* are model2 ones, which are a bit different and (I think) don't glitch the BIOS menu.

On sonic cd are the coins suppose to be underground? it runs flawlessly but that was something that was quite unusual... im using the US version.
The GP2X people wondered about this too.. It appears that Sonic CD is all about time travel, so when you get into past/future, these rings become accessible, so this is normal.

siulmagic
November 19th, 2007, 00:38
lunar 2 is playable but i got stuck in the cutscene were you find the girl inside the green crystal il tweak around the setting see if i can get it to pass that point

M Dash
November 19th, 2007, 00:58
Don't have them with me right now, but the ones named eu_mcd2_*and us_scd2_* are model2 ones, which are a bit different and (I think) don't glitch the BIOS menu.

Hmm, I see... I'll try to get the model2 BIOS files until this Tuesday and make the tests to post around here.

Thanks. :)

darknight88
November 19th, 2007, 03:06
Guys i just tried "Pulseman(J)" with English translation patch and it works with pico! I remember it used to freeze on DGEN.

niu10912
November 19th, 2007, 05:28
Both need "better sync" to start, which can be disabled when started.

thank you

Mortal Kombat (U) now can play
just setting "better sync - on"

thanks your hard work:thumbup:

siulmagic
November 19th, 2007, 07:50
has eny oen else had the problem i have with lunar 2?

Veskgar
November 19th, 2007, 09:07
First off, thank you so much Notaz! I put away my original PSP and mainly just use the Slim & Lite PSP now. The latest version of DGEN didn't work on the Slim. So not only does the Slim PSP running CFW get a Sega CD emulator but an even better Genesis/MegaDrive emulator than anything else out there for PSP.

Here are some of my findings.

GENESIS:

Alien Soldier (J) - 100%
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (UE) - 100%
Castlevania - Bloodlines - 100%
Contra - Hard Corps - 100%
Dynamite Headdy (UE) - 100%
Elemental Master (U) - 100%
Gunstar Heroes (U) - 100%
M.U.S.H.A. (U) - 100%
Ristar (UE) - 100%
Rocket Night Adventures (U) - 100%
Sagaia (U) - 100%
Simpsons, The - Bart's Nightmare (UE) (REV02) - 100%
Sol-Deace (U) - 100%
Sonic Spinball (U) - 100%
Sonic The Hedgehog (W) (REV01) - 100%
Splatterhouse 2 (U) - 100%
T2 - The Arcade Game (UE) (REV01) - 100%
Tale Spin (UE) - 100%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist (U) - 100%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters (U) - 100%
Thunderforce II (U) - 100%
Vectorman (UE) - 100%

SEGA CD:

Sonic the Hedgehog CD - Plays Great
The Misadventures of Flink - Plays Great
Dungeon Explorer - Plays Great (Fast Renderer)
Lunar - Plays Great
Mickey Mania - Plays Great
Lords of Thunder - Plays Great (Fast Renderer)

And those results are using 0 frameskip as I hate frameskip on emulators. For this emulator to work so good on its initial public release is really quite a shock to the senses.

I will be playing around a lot more with this and report back again with more results on a later time.

PLEASE don't abandon this project Notaz, its one of those that is just too good to be abandoned. Not since Exophase releasing gpSP and Dark_AleX unlocking PSX support have I been this happy with the PSP and its emulation magic.

SCSA
November 19th, 2007, 09:26
All work perfect!
SEGA CD GAMES:

The Adventures of Willy Beamish (US)
Terminator
Sonic CD (PAL)
Eternal Champions
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (change to better sync and after it starts make it off)
WireHead (US)
Space Adventure Cobra (US)
Final Fight (US)
Heart of the Alien (US)
Rise of the dragon (US)
Tomcat Alley
Dragon's Lair (US)
INXS-Make My Video (US)
C&C Music Factory Make My Video (US)
Crime Patrol (US)
Shinging Force
Silpheed
Wonder Dog (US)
Spiderman Vs Kingpin (US)
Snatcher
Night Trap
Ground Zero Texas
Double Switch (US)
Earthworm Jim Special Edition (PAL)
Mickey Mania (US)
Mad Dog II - The Lost Gold (US)

drock82
November 19th, 2007, 15:23
did anybody tried gargoyles?:confused:

jvabbdac
November 19th, 2007, 17:48

Aeroblasters
Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle
Alladin
Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines (Non censored version)
Contra: Hard Cops
Dahnah
Dragon Ball Z: Buyu Retsuden
Ghouls īn Ghosts
Jurassic Park
Jurasic Park II - Lost World
MickeyMania
Megaman: Wily Wars (E)
Mortal Kombat 2
Phantasy Star 2
Phantay Star 3
Phantasy Star 4 ( SRAM saves tested too)
Road Rash 3
Revenge of Shinobi
Rolling Thunder 2
Rolling Thunder 3
Second Samurai
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi 3
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic & Knucles
Sonic 3D
Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Vectorman

Bugs/Glithches

After Burner - No music afetr intro screen, sea/land not renderized correctly
Arcus Odissey - Intro animation with paralax movement not correctly renderized.. .as PicoDrive for s60
Golde Axe 3 - desync in intro music with animation

Iīll test some unrelated Sega CD games later.

Ahahahaha ! Outro Brasileiro !

Eternal-Blue
November 20th, 2007, 00:03
Road Avenger (Pal) - Works with Better Sync and Frameskip 1

nothingtoday
November 20th, 2007, 04:02
First of all, a big thanks for this awesome emulator! Great job. I also hope you don't stop working on it. This is one I've been dreaming about for a really long time too. Makes me wish I could code.

I've tried a bunch of games and many of them worked fine as others have already mentioned, but some don't work for me

Lunar 1, for example, doesn't work in both iso+mp3 and bin file formats. I'm wondering if there is a special iso program that I need to use. The emulator just says, "Failed to Load File" or something like that and doesn't even detect an iso. What exactly is wrong?

danknugz
November 20th, 2007, 05:50
games i have tested that work:
AD&D Eye of the Beholder
Ah3 Thunderstrike
Amazing Spider-Man vs. Kingpin
Cobra - The Space Adventure (U)
Demolition Man
Dragon's Lair
Dungeon Master II - Skull Keeper
ECCO 2
Ground Zero Texas
Heart Of The Alien 1+2
Heimdall
Hook
Keio Flying Squadron
Lawnmower Man
Lunar- Silver Star Complete
Lunar 2- Blue Star Complete
Mansion Of Hidden Souls
RDF Global Conflict
Star Wars-Rebel Assault
rise of the dragon
Robo Aleste
samurai showdown
secret of monkey island
slipheed
snatcher
Sonic CD
soulstar
space ace
Star Strike (U)
star wars chess
starblade
terminator
theme park
third world war
vay
Wing Commander

NOT working:
Dark Wizard ( Gives an incompatable mp3 error)
Dune ( i get a crc error with every copy ive found, not the emulators fault!)
Funky Horror Band(J)
Novastorm
syndicate ( freezes up after into)

mrgone
November 20th, 2007, 08:32
i played snatcher until i entered the car ( first assignment), the driving aniomation just never stops

notaz
November 20th, 2007, 10:03
Lunar 1, for example, doesn't work in both iso+mp3 and bin file formats. I'm wondering if there is a special iso program that I need to use. The emulator just says, "Failed to Load File" or something like that and doesn't even detect an iso. What exactly is wrong?
You might have hit a bug, try latest update here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=545839#post545839).

i played snatcher until i entered the car ( first assignment), the driving aniomation just never stops
Strange, try enabling "better sync" before entering and see if it still happens.

Baboon
November 20th, 2007, 10:44

I was playing through Snatcher last night and I never came across the bug you mentioned. I've used the car numerous times and its allways ok?

I've not changed any configuration on the emulator for the game and it plays fine for me? ...I guess its your CD backup?

Tyr
November 20th, 2007, 17:41
Shin Megami Tensei (J) - works
Record of Lodoss War (J) - works
Detonator Orgun (J) - works
Devastator (J) - gets stuck at the Kabushiki kaisha sega enterprises logo, don't know what the problem might be.

Tested with latest picodrive using default settings.

It would be great if Wraggster could cut and paste all megacd/segacd games thats been tested so far and paste them on the first page so we can get a proper list.

infidelity
November 20th, 2007, 20:21
I cant use the 6 button feature with Mortal Kombat (U). When it's enabled it flies through all the cutscenes, and all buttons do nothing to access the main menu. But if I shut the 6 button option off, the game plays fine.

Please, is there any way to get this game to work with the 6 button option on????

Thank You :)

ALSO - Rambo III Does NOT work....:(

This game hangs after the helicopter chase sequence. Either you press start during it, or when you wait for the sequence to end on it's own, the game freezes :( :( Sucks since this is one of my all time favorite titles for genesis.

notaz
November 20th, 2007, 21:23
It may also happen if you are playing without sound, because IIRC this game checks when PCM sound finishes playing, but it never does if sound is disabled.

I cant use the 6 button feature with Mortal Kombat (U). When it's enabled it flies through all the cutscenes, and all buttons do nothing to access the main menu. But if I shut the 6 button option off, the game plays fine.

Just checked it - you need to enable "accurate timing" in options.

ALSO - Rambo III Does NOT work....:(

It does, just also needs "accurate timing".

infidelity
November 20th, 2007, 21:38
Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply!!

I hate to ask, "not sure if you've been asked this yet" but is there any chance on seeing 32x come to the psp? Star Wars Arcade & Knuckles Chaotics rock!!!

Thank you for such a psp masterpiece!!! Finally, Genesis comes to life!

EDIT - Oh and NBA Jam doesnt work. I even tried enabling "accurate timing" any ideas? :)
And Megaman Wily Wars (E) - the music plays slow. I tried setting the region to Europe, and accurate timing, i reset the game, and the music is still slow. I'm trying to remember if people just play rockman wily wars or something in that nature?

notaz
November 21st, 2007, 21:02
I hate to ask, "not sure if you've been asked this yet" but is there any chance on seeing 32x come to the psp? Star Wars Arcade & Knuckles Chaotics rock!!!

Probably not, at least not from me..

EDIT - Oh and NBA Jam doesnt work. I even tried enabling "accurate timing" any ideas? :)

Hmm, just tried and confirmed it as a bug.

And Megaman Wily Wars (E) - the music plays slow. I tried setting the region to Europe, and accurate timing, i reset the game, and the music is still slow. I'm trying to remember if people just play rockman wily wars or something in that nature?
There are many games which have slower music in their PAL versions.. Maybe this one too?

Saracchini
November 21st, 2007, 21:42

Megaman - Wily Wars runs at 50Mhz and is slower than the Japanese version. Itīs not a bug. Try it in Gens, or Dgen for PC with PAL settings and youīll see the same behavior. If you want play it in a fast speed just play the japanese rom... the texts are in english, the great difference is the name "RockMan" instead "MegaMan" :p

OFF-Topic: Notaz , did you have any plan to port your Snex9x port to PSP ? If you remember me , iīm the guy which tried port your version to S60 phones :)... sadly my HD died before i finished the optimized render code...

Raziel-chan
November 21st, 2007, 22:54
Megaman - Wily Wars runs at 50Mhz (...)

You mean 50hz - I'd like to see a screen that refreshes itself 50 000 times per second ;)

Anyway, awesome emulator. Snatcher worked like a charm, with only one random error and two minimal syncing problems.

cya
Raziel-chan

nothingtoday
November 22nd, 2007, 04:14
Rip your CDs with ISO Buster and convert the WAV files to MP3 using MP3 Workshop

Working (mostly with default settings plus frameskip at 2 and 6 button controller on):

Bug Blasters
Demolition Man
Fahrenheit
Keio's Flying Squadron
Loadstar
Shining Force CD
Star Wars Rebel Assault
Tomcat Alley
Wing Commander
Android Assault
Batman Returns
BC RacersBlack Hole Assault
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Dragon's Lair
Ecco 2
Flashback
Lords of Thunder
Mickey Mania
Microcosm
Night Trap
Popful Mail
Road Avenger
Snatcher
Space Ace
AH-3 Thunderstrike (best game in the world,. Just set it to hard, set your altitude to exactly two notches from the ground and start blasting!!!)
Batman and Robin
Battlecorps
Cobra Command
Earthworm Jim
Ecco
Eternal Champions (awesome game. Not sure if cinekills or other fatalities work)
Final Fight
Heart of the Alien
Lunar
Lunar 2
Mortal Kombat
Novastorm
Robo Aleste
Sewer Shark
Silpheed
sol Feace
Soul Star
Sonic CD
Star Blade
Vay

Not working

Corpse Killer (the game starts no problem but it doesn't seem to detect a controller. If I remember correctly the game itself was rather picky about which controller you used. I think the official 3-button controller worked best but I forget)

notaz
November 22nd, 2007, 10:20
OFF-Topic: Notaz , did you have any plan to port your Snex9x port to PSP ?
No as it wouldn't run any better than SnesPSP_TYL.

Tyr
November 22nd, 2007, 18:22
After Armageddon Gaiden (J) - Works , minor bug in the games logo when it scrolls up and down but no biggie.
Illusion City (J) - Works.
Cosmic Fantasy Stories (J) - Works.
Earnest Evans (J) - gets stuck at the Kabushiki kaisha sega enterprises logo, don't know what the problem might be. (Bad iso? Got the same problem with Devastator)

nothingtoday
November 23rd, 2007, 04:01
Vay freezes unless you turn on Accurate Sprites and turn off accurate timing and better sync

I've also noticed that the games play much slower on the PSP Slim. The original PSP runs games almost perfetly, but with the slim they aren't really playable

Gibb
November 23rd, 2007, 06:13

Yep same problem, even after doing what this guy said about the mp3s.

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=550&page=2

bigbern77
November 23rd, 2007, 07:00
having problems to put the bios and to load the iso and the emualtor on the psp which my version is 1.5 any good guidelines you guys may give me please?

notaz
November 23rd, 2007, 10:13
I've also noticed that the games play much slower on the PSP Slim. The original PSP runs games almost perfetly, but with the slim they aren't really playable
Well that's really strange, can't think of any reason for this. Maybe it's just different settings?

Yep same problem, even after doing what this guy said about the mp3s.

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=550&page=2
Make sure you have a savestate way before this scene (you might have saved when it already crashed).

Gurko
November 23rd, 2007, 10:30
shinobi 3 doesnīt work 100%, since you cannot access the options menu...try it guys

termor
November 24th, 2007, 19:28
i am having trouble with sonic CD on picodrive emulator i don't know if this is the right place to put this but when i try and load sonic CD it says "no jap/usa/EUR BIOS files found read docs" I have looked and there are only three text docs with only a few words in each please if anyone can help

notaz
November 24th, 2007, 23:49
i am having trouble with sonic CD on picodrive emulator i don't know if this is the right place to put this but when i try and load sonic CD it says "no jap/usa/EUR BIOS files found read docs" I have looked and there are only three text docs with only a few words in each please if anyone can help
Dunno where are you looking, but this is the part you need:

To play any game, you need BIOS files. These files must be copied to the same
directory as mentioned PicoDrive files [EBOOT, readme.txt, skin]. Files can be named as follows:

US: us_scd1_9210.bin us_scd2_9306.bin SegaCDBIOS9303.bin
EU: eu_mcd1_9210.bin eu_mcd2_9303.bin eu_mcd2_9306.bin
JP: jp_mcd1_9112.bin jp_mcd1_9111.bin
these files can also be zipped.

somemadcaaant
November 25th, 2007, 08:14
Didn't know where to stick this question... How do I use the old srm saves from dgen or pspgenesis? or isn't it possible?
Been searching for a save converter for gs0 save converter also but to no avail, I had one yrs ago I remember. Pico uses mds files.

Saracchini
November 25th, 2007, 11:46
I verified an issue with Shinobi 3, you canīt enter in the options menu. The screen goes black and stays here. I tested the PAL version.
Another issues found are the incorrect render of the horizon in After Burner 2 (it remember the square objects in Space Harrier for Master System...) and the desyncronized music and incorrect render of the intro scenes of Arcus Odissey....

notaz
November 25th, 2007, 13:03
Didn't know where to stick this question... How do I use the old srm saves from dgen or pspgenesis? or isn't it possible?
PD uses the same .srm format as Gens and Fusion for PC (files are in srm/ directory), not sure what dgen and pspgenesis uses.
mds is custom, though.

I verified an issue with Shinobi 3, you canīt enter in the options menu. The screen goes black and stays here. I tested the PAL version. Another issues found are the incorrect render of the horizon in After Burner 2 (it remember the square objects in Space Harrier for Master System...) and the desyncronized music and incorrect render of the intro scenes of Arcus Odissey....
Like I mentioned in release post, some games may need config adjustments. Just enable "accurate timing" and accurate renderer.

_Shin_
November 25th, 2007, 21:10
Thank you soooo much for this emu/port :)
I just got a slim and was really sad not to be able to play megadrive... (I was also jealous of the gp2x of a friend because he could play snatcher and sonic cd on a handheld system :p)

do you think you could add tv out support before "leaving" for your other project ? (2player wifi adhoc mode like DGEN had would be really neat too, but I guess it would require a lot of work ^^'')

anyway thanks a lot again :)

(now we just new somebody to work on pc engine compatibility and make a cps3 emu and the psp would be the gratest :) )

nothingtoday
November 26th, 2007, 03:30
[QUOTE=notaz;]Well that's really strange, can't think of any reason for this. Maybe it's just different settings?

I tested it a little more over the weekend. The problem only seems to affect a few games and it's because of the kxploit, which seems to make the games run faster. The only ones I can think of right are AH 3 THunderstrike and Eternal Champions. They are playable but AH 3 is really slow. Eternal Champions is a little slow.

I haven't tried the update yet, though.

eternityoffate
November 26th, 2007, 17:30
lunar 2 works perfectly but freezes after you meet lucia for the first time in the spire.

popful mail- freezes at sega logo.

record of lodoss war- opening cinema works then freezes at start screen

notaz
November 27th, 2007, 10:54
do you think you could add tv out support before "leaving" for your other project ? (2player wifi adhoc mode like DGEN had would be really neat too, but I guess it would require a lot of work ^^'')

Wifi may need a lot of work and needs another PSP to be able to do it properly. TV-out is easier, but needs a slim (I've only got one phat).

lunar 2 works perfectly but freezes after you meet lucia for the first time in the spire.

popful mail- freezes at sega logo.

record of lodoss war- opening cinema works then freezes at start screen
Popful Mail can be fixed by tweaking settings, I think Lunar 2 too. Not sure about the other game.

garion
December 8th, 2007, 10:21
Dark Wizard (U) for Sega/Mega CD hangs when in game & selecting any option from the in-game menu (Prty, Item, etc). I do hope a fix is rlsd as this is the best Sega CD game ever.

Thank you Notaz. Thx to you, gpSP, SnesTYL & of course, the great DaX, the PSP has easily become the best video game investment of all time.

korn788
January 18th, 2008, 17:03
for making mortal kombat run faster
just after you start a match just turn off better sync

and the game will play trough with no problem

brianon
February 5th, 2008, 13:18
Sega CD
NHL 94 - black screen after sonic logo.
Sensible Soccer - black screen after sonic logo.

Anyone had any luck with these ? Is it just my setup ?

brianon
February 5th, 2008, 18:04
Sega CD
NHL 94 - black screen after sonic logo.
Sensible Soccer - black screen after sonic logo.

Anyone had any luck with these ? Is it just my setup ?

Ok. I take that back (at least for NHL 94).

If you enable "better sync" then it boots fine...if a little to slow to be playable.

fpcreator2000
April 14th, 2008, 05:31
Sol-Feace -> Doesn't Run. Doesn't pass the Sonic BIOS screen. (I tested it without using MP3 files.)

Sol-Feace Runs Perfect. It does pass the bios screen.

GrandMisfit
July 27th, 2008, 22:13
Dark Wizard now works perfectly with 151a. almost at the end of the game yipppie

M Dash
July 28th, 2008, 12:19
SOnic games run flawlessly. Simply great. Even in Super Sonic, it doesn't skip any frames :D

ricky006
August 24th, 2008, 18:14
How do i reload the gun on Mad Dog McCree ?

Xavier
August 30th, 2008, 18:12
3-4 th person confiming Lunar 2 crashes at spire, tried different bioses and tweeking settings, will play around some more. Glad I didnt hunt down a new iso.

maverickhog
January 28th, 2009, 10:39
hey i cant get this thing to work on my psp at all....i needs help!

thktanuki
April 25th, 2009, 04:32
3-4 th person confiming Lunar 2 crashes at spire, tried different bioses and tweeking settings, will play around some more. Glad I didnt hunt down a new iso.

I can't remember what I had to do to get past the Spire, as I haven't touched my psp in a few month's(until now). But I'm currently in larpa, in game... so there MUST have been a workaround of some sort.

hardkore2k1
April 29th, 2009, 03:12
well i think this ones it, it runs most roms that i have for the genesis(dgen 1.70 folder)and two of the sega cd and it runs smooth and fast with frameskip at 0.So props to every one who developed picodrive,to the psp
im trying to find out how to install the picodrive...i Downloaded the zip....and it starts....but i need to know how do i run the games...the readme says i need bios files....but i wanna kno more bout it

juiceface
April 29th, 2009, 06:14
you only need bios files for the Sega CD portion of picodrive. All you need a in the original rom files (.bin or .gen) and select "open game (or file)" and just open it.. it's very basic

kenpachi147
July 26th, 2009, 14:46
can anyone tell me hw to get the road avenger game workin on my psp, keeps saying something about the mp3 files

kenpachi147
July 26th, 2009, 14:49
really need some help to my question above

demonolith
August 4th, 2009, 03:50
Sega CD
Keio - Perfect
Popful Mail - perfect
Robo Aleste - perfect
Sonic CD - perfect

lyse
January 14th, 2010, 14:49
Hello guys i am also a fan pico drive but the my favorite game Robo aleste is giving me a problem it wont work everytime I try to run it it goes to the sega cd menu then it stays there I already tried to download the rom from different site but still the same error . I got other sega CD games to work only robo aleste wont work please help

Trueblue1878
November 27th, 2010, 17:19
SEGA CD: Shining Force - perfectly and with music.

Will add more to my post as I test them :)

Big thanks again notaz!