PDA

View Full Version : About the SNES Emu speed...

B_man55
July 18th, 2005, 23:43
Hey everyone. I'm new here! Looking around on the internet only to find out I can play emulators on my PSP. I quickly got the NEW and SNES emulators only to find that the SNES emulator ruins terribly slow. I was wondering why the SNES, with a processor of less than 5 MHz and RAM equivillant to 1mb can run it's games, but a PSP with 333MHz of power and a helluva lotta RAM can't even match it's speed. If someone explained this to me I'd really apprecaite it. I was also wondering if any of you techies know if it IS POSSIBLE to update the emus to make them run smoother. Has it been done before? If not, is it possible to do and may be done in the future? Thank you very much.

FFVIIVince10
July 19th, 2005, 00:00
i Beleive it takes alot more power to EMULATE a system. SNES was made to run SNES games without strain. PSP was made for PSP games...get it? As for the speed, you can configure it to play faster. Set the speed to 333 mhz, and put frameskip of 2 or 3. Also disabling sound usually increases FPS quite a bit(disabling in game menu, not just turning sound off). i play Zelda: a link to the past on mine, with clost to perfect speed. very very playable and enjoyable. The speed will probably get better and better as time goes by, and more updated emu's come out...patients ^.^

P.S sometimes disabling transparency increases fps a lil bit, but on some games u need it (like zelda)

CannedSoup
July 19th, 2005, 00:40
Snes runs near fullspeed if you set the speeds right.
Frameskip auto
Frameskip 2 or 3
Cpu speed 333mhz
Sound rate 22mhz
Sound rate 1.2 or 1.3

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 01:24
I apprecaite the feedback very much, however a comment about CannedSoup's advice. I have tried countless different settings including yours, but games like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are useless with the current emus. Oh well, I don't mind waiting at all for such brilliance. I only hope they improve :D

Dvanburen
July 19th, 2005, 01:34
These are the 2 games I play the most! Make sure you have the latest uoSNES and use the settings suggested above.

CannedSoup
July 19th, 2005, 01:54
I apprecaite the feedback very much, however a comment about CannedSoup's advice. I have tried countless different settings including yours, but games like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are useless with the current emus. Oh well, I don't mind waiting at all for such brilliance. I only hope they improve :D
You obviously didnt try the settings I suggested at all because ChronoTrigger plays great with those settings.

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 02:17
That is so very strange. I have used those exact settings but battles seem to slow down alot. Oh well, thanks for the help everyone.

BTW I got Earthbound to run at perfect speed :D

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 02:18
You obviously didnt try the settings I suggested at all because ChronoTrigger plays great with those settings.

yes... you must be using an older version of the emulator.. I recomend you try
y snes9x 24 or greater.. things run at a very good speed.

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 02:54
Alright, well I'm using uo_Snes9x for PSP 0.02y28. Shouldn't that work just fine? If not, you think you could make me a link to a better one! Thanks so much :D

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 03:32
no... thats it... are you sure your clocking it to 333mhz?

also, it shouldnt make games unplayable.. but be sure auto frame skip is off when you put turn the frameskip up.

omniosiris
July 19th, 2005, 05:48
I just got the SNES emu to work perfectly running it at 333mhz on my PSP..but I was just wondering, is running it at that speed going to damage the PSP at all, or I should I not be worried about it?

Parqer
July 19th, 2005, 06:37
The PSP was apparently shipped underclocked to 222mhz to save on battery life; the processor was actually designed to run at 333mhz speed, but if it did, the battery life would be cut. Games are going to be released in the future that push the processor to that speed, so there probably won't be any problem running it at that speed other than your battery running out sooner than usual. I've run my PSP at that speed on a few emulators and haven't experienced any problem, so you should be safe. Emulators that "overclock" the PSP have been out for a whiile, so I'm sure that people would be posting about damage being done to their system by now if it were going to do so.

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 07:07
Yeah, the 333 is fine. I still have huge problems with the speed though, and i mean big ones. For instance, in CT, I have my sound to 1.3x because if its any lower, the battle theme wil go super slow, however, when walking around, the music is fast. Not a big problem for me at all, but something that should somehow be fixed by say, a feature that automatically can adjust to a speed where sound and gameplay would be at norm. I guess that would require some sort of A.I. in the program, so I've got no clue if it can be done. Secondly, in SM, I run around Cered Station and get to Ridley. I have tried every single different thing to tweak the speed but ALWAYS is it insanly choppy. Again, not a major problem if it only happens against bosses (I havn't taken the time to go to Zebes yet). Another problem is in MMX when you come across any amount of enemies, the PSP will think like crazy. Dammit, I wish Sony would've put 2 processors in there like Nintendo did with the DS. My friend has a SNES emu on his DS and it's absolutley perfect. I go to his house just to play with it now :rolleyes: Anyways, if anyone also experiances these problems PLEASE tell me so I know I'm not the only idiot doing something wrong. Thank you so much guys, you're a really great bunch of forumers. :P

One other little thing. Yes, I have it clocked at 333. Is it necessary to turn auto frame skip off when frame skip is at 1 or higher? Please inform me, I'm a damned n00b.

Cross
July 19th, 2005, 07:14
Metroid and Trigger run fine with the new version and the settings he is using are sim. to mine. I have stopped using the graphics speed ups as frame skip x 3 and Auto seem perfect now even with the BL screens for me. It improves with every version so I look forward to the next release ^-^

I have my settings in my SNES/NES/Sega Review thread.

Qmark
July 19th, 2005, 07:35
Dammit, I wish Sony would've put 2 processors in there like Nintendo did with the DS. They did. It's just that nobody is really sure how to get to the GPU yet.

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 09:12
I don't think they did.. I'm looking at it's specs right now and it only has 1 processor apparently. Thanks for the help Cross, I apprecaite it very much.

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 09:28
Damn, sorry for the double post but I couldn't edit for some reason. Cross, if I may ask, could you please give me a link to that thread of yours becuase I can't find it, I tried searching even. Or you could just post everything you use for SM and everything you use for CT and I would gratefully reward you with......LOTSA SMILIES!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

parabolee
July 19th, 2005, 16:16
Seriously if you set it to those settings it will run full speed, I play CT with these settings -

Frameskip Auto
Frameskip - 2
Sound 44hz
Screen Size - 4:3
CPU speed - 333mh <---- this is hella important though!

It runs slightly faster with a frameskip of 3, but it looks nicer and plays fine with those settigns for me. I'm not sure why others drop the sound quality because I get next to no speed boost from it at all.

EDIT -

I didn't see this second page of posts, my bad. I was replying to the discussion based on the first page.

Cross
July 19th, 2005, 19:04
THats almost identical to my settings, here is a link: (They moved all the guides to a FAQ section outside of the EMU section. It might better serve those with questions to be a sub forum of this thread.)

SNES/NES/SGEA Link. My settings are right up top. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7353&page=1&pp=10)

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 20:11
I don't think they did.. I'm looking at it's specs right now and it only has 1 processor apparently. Thanks for the help Cross, I apprecaite it very much.

they did. one is a GPU - specifically used for graphics and one is just our average processor.

geise69
July 19th, 2005, 21:55
One thing you need to know is that if a game uses alot of transparencies like Chrono Trigger or Metroid it will run slow. If you turn off transparencies it might not look as nice in some parts but you'll get almost near perfect speed. At some point in a game you can turn transparencies off to get better speed. Also there's quite a few games you don't even need to have transparencies on. My settings are usually:
Transparencies off
333mhz
sound 1.0
Sound 22hz
graphics 1.0
auto framskip off
frameskip 1

Some games i don't even have to use frameskip like Actraiser or Smash TV
Hope this will help you out.

B_man55
July 19th, 2005, 23:58
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I tried out the SM settings and they work really well, except for the boss fights of course which are really choppy. As for CT, I got everything to work really well in the field, I just have to adjust things for battles. You've all been very helpful and I am looking forward to possibly help you in the future when I become more experianced. Thank you everyone.

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2005, 00:17
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I tried out the SM settings and they work really well, except for the boss fights of course which are really choppy. As for CT, I got everything to work really well in the field, I just have to adjust things for battles. You've all been very helpful and I am looking forward to possibly help you in the future when I become more experianced. Thank you everyone.

no problem, and stick around! you can learn alot from this place.

RabidPuppi
July 21st, 2005, 04:23
i generally just stick to the lower end games (i.e. not first party etc.) im sure there will be a full speed snes emu within a few months then we can all truly enjoy it