PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Emulator wont work.

Tooplex
November 20th, 2007, 22:28
Im having a problem with Genesis plus emulator for the Dreamcast.

The Genesis emulator loads up fine, the games list up fine but when if i press start to make them load up none and i mean none of the games want to load up any solution to this please?

Ive tryed different things with the roms.txt ive named this like this:

SNS_0001.ZIP Altered Beast
SNS_0002.ZIP Lost Vikings, The
SNS_0003.ZIP Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
SNS_0004.ZIP Puyo Puyo
SNS_0005.ZIP Ren and Stimpy's Invention
SNS_0006.ZIP Sonic 3 & Knuckles
SNS_0007.ZIP Sonic Compilation
SNS_0008.ZIP Streets of Rage 2
SNS_0009.ZIP Streets of Rage
SNS_0010.ZIP Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
SNS_0011.ZIP Zombies Ate My Neighbors

and had them named like this:

SNS_0001.ZIP:Altered Beast
SNS_0002.ZIP:Lost Vikings, The
SNS_0003.ZIP:Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
SNS_0004.ZIP:Puyo Puyo
SNS_0005.ZIP:Ren and Stimpy's Invention
SNS_0006.ZIP:Sonic 3 & Knuckles
SNS_0007.ZIP:Sonic Compilation
SNS_0008.ZIP:Streets of Rage 2
SNS_0009.ZIP:Streets of Rage
SNS_0010.ZIP:Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
SNS_0011.ZIP:Zombies Ate My Neighbors

But nothing will work this is the folder i have it in:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/Tooplex/datafolder.jpg

And this is the roms folder:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/Tooplex/Romsfolder.jpg

Any solutions please?

Tooplex
November 28th, 2007, 17:36
Bump!!!!

Christuserloeser
November 28th, 2007, 17:59
Welcome back, Tooplex ;) - I will see what I can do to help!

Ive tryed different things with the roms.txt ive named this like this:

SNS_0001.ZIP Altered Beast
SNS_0002.ZIP Lost Vikings, The
SNS_0003.ZIP Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
SNS_0004.ZIP Puyo Puyo
SNS_0005.ZIP Ren and Stimpy's Invention
SNS_0006.ZIP Sonic 3 & Knuckles
SNS_0007.ZIP Sonic Compilation
SNS_0008.ZIP Streets of Rage 2
SNS_0009.ZIP Streets of Rage
SNS_0010.ZIP Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
SNS_0011.ZIP Zombies Ate My Neighbors

- This method of listing is currect and should work.

I noticed one thing in the screenshots you've uploaded - In the first screenshot it says

D:\New Folder\...

In the second screenshot it says

C:\SBI Inducer\...

- Is that a coincidence caused by different days and attempts from when you've made the screenshots or is this your current directory structure ?

I am using the following structure:

C:\SBInducr\Inducer\gpwt\data\roms\
(my games)

C:\SBInducr\Inducer\gpwt\data\roms.txt
(list of my games in \roms\)

quzar
November 28th, 2007, 21:33
you have the format a bit off. It either goes:

FILENAME.zip Name_you_want_to_appear_in_menu_without_spaces

or, the "Q" system ( :P )

FILE NAME.zip|Name you want

So either the first space in the line must seperate the filename from the menu name, or the only occurence of the pipe character "|" must be between the two terms.

You can't however do "Filename.zip:Actual name", or it will take "Filename.zip:Actual" to be the name of the file, and "name" to be what it shows up as in the menu.

Tooplex
November 29th, 2007, 23:40
Welcome back, Tooplex ;) - I will see what I can do to help!

- This method of listing is currect and should work.

I noticed one thing in the screenshots you've uploaded - In the first screenshot it says

D:\New Folder\...

In the second screenshot it says

C:\SBI Inducer\...

- Is that a coincidence caused by different days and attempts from when you've made the screenshots or is this your current directory structure ?

I am using the following structure:

C:\SBInducr\Inducer\gpwt\data\roms\
(my games)

C:\SBInducr\Inducer\gpwt\data\roms.txt
(list of my games in \roms\)

Whoops Yeh First screenie i sent you in a message which was a while ago and the second was made when i made the first post as i re-ordered my hard drive a bit.

Yeh and thats how my folder is sorted as "C:\SBInducr\Inducer\gpwt\data\roms.txt"

Tooplex
November 29th, 2007, 23:42
you have the format a bit off. It either goes:

FILENAME.zip Name_you_want_to_appear_in_menu_without_spaces

or, the "Q" system ( :P )

FILE NAME.zip|Name you want

So either the first space in the line must seperate the filename from the menu name, or the only occurence of the pipe character "|" must be between the two terms.

You can't however do "Filename.zip:Actual name", or it will take "Filename.zip:Actual" to be the name of the file, and "name" to be what it shows up as in the menu.

So your saying it should be:

SNS_0001.ZIP|Altered Beast
SNS_0002.ZIP|Lost Vikings, The
SNS_0003.ZIP|Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
SNS_0004.ZIP|Puyo Puyo
SNS_0005.ZIP|Ren and Stimpy's Invention
SNS_0006.ZIP|Sonic 3 & Knuckles
SNS_0007.ZIP|Sonic Compilation
SNS_0008.ZIP|Streets of Rage 2
SNS_0009.ZIP|Streets of Rage
SNS_0010.ZIP|Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
SNS_0011.ZIP|Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Right? and it should work?

quzar
November 29th, 2007, 23:59
Yes, if you're using one of the gpdcq releases, then that will work.

Tooplex
November 30th, 2007, 00:04
Yes, if you're using one of the gpdcq releases, then that will work.

gpdcq? Whats that?

fackue
November 30th, 2007, 00:29
gpdcq? Whats that?
(G)enesis (P)lus (DC) (Q)uzar.

Tooplex
November 30th, 2007, 00:39
Well i did what quazar said and i used his release and when i select a rom it says "Loading Rom...." For a few seconds but then it either restarts the dreamcast or just shows a black screen. Any other ideas?

I named the roms.txt the way you told me:

SNS_0001.ZIP|Altered Beast
SNS_0002.ZIP|Lost Vikings, The
SNS_0003.ZIP|Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
SNS_0004.ZIP|Puyo Puyo
SNS_0005.ZIP|Ren and Stimpy's Invention
SNS_0006.ZIP|Sonic 3 & Knuckles
SNS_0007.ZIP|Sonic Compilation
SNS_0008.ZIP|Streets of Rage 2
SNS_0009.ZIP|Streets of Rage
SNS_0010.ZIP|Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
SNS_0011.ZIP|Zombies Ate My Neighbors

quzar
November 30th, 2007, 00:42
http://www.screamcast.net/publicdownloads/gpdcq-012707.zip

Basically the newest version of genplus.

fackue
November 30th, 2007, 03:28
I do have a rom lister I wrote for Quzar's rom list style... I'll attach it here, I've been waiting for another GP release before releasing it but I'm fine letting you use it.

Note, unzip your roms because it will use those filenames from your zips as the title. The program will use GoodGen to rename the roms and allow you to remove the good codes.

Anyway, this probably won't fix your problem. Your rom list looks good.

Tooplex
November 30th, 2007, 17:34
I do have a rom lister I wrote for Quzar's rom list style... I'll attach it here, I've been waiting for another GP release before releasing it but I'm fine letting you use it.

Note, unzip your roms because it will use those filenames from your zips as the title. The program will use GoodGen to rename the roms and allow you to remove the good codes.

Anyway, this probably won't fix your problem. Your rom list looks good.

I tryed using this but when i did it created the roms.txt and deleted my roms whats going on?

fackue
November 30th, 2007, 23:08
It deleted them?! Are you sure it didn't like, zip them and you didn't notice? Because it will zip the roms if they're not and move them to the roms folder.

Tooplex
November 30th, 2007, 23:34
It deleted them?! Are you sure it didn't like, zip them and you didn't notice? Because it will zip the roms if they're not and move them to the roms folder.

Yep no matter where they are it will delete them the roms are in .bin format and when you use your program it just deletes them but creates the roms.txt any ideas?

quzar
December 1st, 2007, 00:16
I can only reccomend that you use Smurph's tool that comes with the emulator. I've only ever either used it, or written the romlist manually.

Tooplex
December 1st, 2007, 00:57
I can only reccomend that you use Smurph's tool that comes with the emulator. I've only ever either used it, or written the romlist manually.

That deletes them as well! Could you do me one small favor could you upload your genesis files from your cd but minus the roms please leave everything the way it is just delete the roms.

fackue
December 1st, 2007, 01:12
Yep no matter where they are it will delete them the roms are in .bin format and when you use your program it just deletes them but creates the roms.txt any ideas?
Yeah, it's a bug. The last time I used it it worked fine though so I don't know how it happened.

Just use Smurph's ROM list creator (I couldn't get it to work though which is why I wrote my own). I'll fix mine and release it sometime soon, maybe for Chirstmas.

EDIT:

That deletes them as well! Could you do me one small favor could you upload your genesis files from your cd but minus the roms please leave everything the way it is just delete the roms.
Hmm, I might have to fix it now then. I remember there were a couple things I wanted to do before I released it so it'll time a little awhile. I'll get to it later.

Tooplex
December 1st, 2007, 01:36
Yeah, it's a bug. The last time I used it it worked fine though so I don't know how it happened.

Just use Smurph's ROM list creator (I couldn't get it to work though which is why I wrote my own). I'll fix mine and release it sometime soon, maybe for Chirstmas.

EDIT:

Hmm, I might have to fix it now then. I remember there were a couple things I wanted to do before I released it so it'll time a little awhile. I'll get to it later.

Sounds good but it may be good if i could have someone upload there CD with the genesis emulator on it but without the roms it would help a giant amount.

fackue
December 1st, 2007, 02:47
As you wish.

fackue
December 1st, 2007, 05:07
And here's the fixed version of my rom lister.

Tooplex
December 1st, 2007, 15:01
As you wish.

Well i tryed to burn your disk but my dreamcast thinks its a music CD not a Game disc >_< Im wasting a hell of a lot of disks here you know so i would appreciate it if you would have given me EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF DATA OFF IT! Except the roms of course.

Theres something missing i know that for sure :mad: What it is i have no idea.

P.S Your Rom lister no longer deletes the roms now

fackue
December 2nd, 2007, 01:01
Um, what makes you think I left some data out?

Tooplex
December 2nd, 2007, 01:17
Um, what makes you think I left some data out?

I dont know must be some reason my dreamcast thinks its a music cd and not a game disc.

V3N0M
December 2nd, 2007, 02:53
Well i tryed to burn your disk but my dreamcast thinks its a music CD not a Game disc >_< Im wasting a hell of a lot of disks here you know so i would appreciate it if you would have given me EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF DATA OFF IT! Except the roms of course.

Theres something missing i know that for sure :mad: What it is i have no idea.

P.S Your Rom lister no longer deletes the roms now

Have a little respect. fackue is a very respected coder and all he is trying to do is help you out.

Now it's possible it's the way you are burning your disc that could be screwing it up. What program are you using?

Tooplex
December 2nd, 2007, 03:11
Have a little respect. fackue is a very respected coder and all he is trying to do is help you out.

Now it's possible it's the way you are burning your disc that could be screwing it up. What program are you using?

Sorry dude but this emulator is annoying me just a bit right now. Im currently using Bootdreams ive tryed fackue's post and even tryed using quzars gen post and they both are treated as a music CD.

If its any help here is how my CD is set out:

Root:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/Tooplex/Root.jpg

Data:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/Tooplex/Data.jpg

Roms:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/Tooplex/Roms.jpg

fackue
December 2nd, 2007, 03:43
I don't know, I would try renaming GENPLUS_X.BIN to 1ST_READ.BIN and delete the IP.BIN. BootDreams will make one for you.

Make sure you're using the latest version of BootDreams as well.

EDIT: You're burning at a low speed, right? Make sure to burn at 4x to make sure the Dreamcast will read the disc. Also, give the data/data format a try. Some older or even possibly newer burners don't like the audio/data format. If you're using the CDRecord GUI, don't use the Multisession format since that is for use only for DemoMenu.

Tooplex
December 2nd, 2007, 16:40
Well first off i tryed out renaming GENPLUS_X.BIN to 1ST_READ.BIN burning that by Data/Data instead of multisession and i tryed to boot up as a game does but then restarted my dreamcast.

So i downloaded fackue version deleted the ip.bin and then burned it by data/data and it works! and the roms works! Thanks very much you are great if you were here i would kiss you!

One last thing Is it just me or is the sound a bit crackly and is the emulator still being worked on?

fackue
December 3rd, 2007, 03:41
It's still being worked on, and still needs a lot of work to become full speed with perfect sound.