PDA

View Full Version : Stupid wifi question

shadowprophet
July 19th, 2005, 06:35
So i spring for a wireless network card. its a belkin get it home and set everything up. only to find out i need a wireless router. this completely sucks :mad:

is there anyway around this issue, to be able to get my psp to connect without a wireless router? if so sombody please let me know.
"Shadowprophet" Cause it seems sensless to spring for a router when it doesnt seem necessary:(

And yes I have an avid understanding of networking.(Just not wireless networking) and a router still doesnt seem necessary

PSP_Newbie
July 19th, 2005, 07:38
i forgot what its called exactly, but there's a program u can get that makes your wireless network card act like an access point instead, if someone knows what its called, that would be great, otherwise, maybe do a search?

shizzle
July 19th, 2005, 07:57
maybe you could use it to steal wifi in the area??

shadowprophet
July 19th, 2005, 08:09
Its a good idea but im out of range of any wify networks. either that or those that do exisist are very seccure. I do keep comeing up with this netgear network. but I cant access it. its very secure too. so its just useless to me.
I guess if I cant figure a way around this without a router. i'll just have to spring for one. it seems like a jyp tho. there should be a way to access my own card with my psp without a router. That is such a money scam:rolleyes:
If nybody has any ideas, or happens to remember the name of that program, before I break down and buy a router. Let me know and save shadowprophet some cash ;)

PSP_Newbie
July 19th, 2005, 08:28
not completely sure about if this works, but i did a quick search and this is the most relevant thing i could find, dunno if it will work for psp tho, try it out maybe
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

xuphorz
July 19th, 2005, 15:21
So i spring for a wireless network card. its a belkin get it home and set everything up. only to find out i need a wireless router. this completely sucks :mad:

is there anyway around this issue, to be able to get my psp to connect without a wireless router? if so sombody please let me know.
"Shadowprophet" Cause it seems sensless to spring for a router when it doesnt seem necessary:(

And yes I have an avid understanding of networking.(Just not wireless networking) and a router still doesnt seem necessary

how muhc can you spend on a router?
mine only cost $30

parabolee
July 19th, 2005, 15:37
I spent $20 on mine, from ebay. i didn't need it but I got it just for the PSP.

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 19:26
I have 3 routers. one of them is your average 4 port dlink routers and it was about $70 (id guess because of NAT). The other is a 4 port linksys router about $30 and lastly I have a Belkin Wireless router with 4 ports that I bought for about $100. I think your better off buying a wireless router as it will save you money in the long run... they dont provide that much protection though... If your worried about security I would buy a firewall router with at least some form of protection and an WAP. Thats going to set you back at about $150 though (if your lucky)

P.S. no I dont use all of thoes routers. I only use 2 of thoes and a hub.

shadowprophet
July 19th, 2005, 21:10
Its a belkin also. i can get my psp to connect i got 100% connection.

The new problem is im on Aol. 56k connection. I cant get a connection to the internet going. Whats the problem here if anybody knows it would be really helpful if somone told me. Umm I dont really see as i sould have to have brodband just to establish a connection to the net with my psp. But if I do somone please tell me. damnit. the money and trouble ive went through just for this. its not worth it. If I cant connect to the net on 56k. im not even gonna bother takeing all this wireless shit back to the store, cause im gonna do a stomp dance on top of if. :mad:

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2005, 23:31
Its a belkin also. i can get my psp to connect i got 100% connection.

The new problem is im on Aol. 56k connection. I cant get a connection to the internet going. Whats the problem here if anybody knows it would be really helpful if somone told me. Umm I dont really see as i sould have to have brodband just to establish a connection to the net with my psp. But if I do somone please tell me. damnit. the money and trouble ive went through just for this. its not worth it. If I cant connect to the net on 56k. im not even gonna bother takeing all this wireless shit back to the store, cause im gonna do a stomp dance on top of if. :mad:

hahaha i really dont recomend that. Look at the price of broadband in your area. sometimes you can find good deals. I dont use it, but we have DSL lite or somthing like that in my area for only $25/mo