PDA

View Full Version : Rein: Unreal Engine 3 COULD come to Wii

Shrygue
November 23rd, 2007, 19:14
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176208)

They said it wasn't possible (and it still might not be) but the Unreal Engine 3 is currently in the process of being squeezed onto the Wii's dinky hardware, Epic VP Mark Rein has revealed.

Speaking at the Unreal Tournament III launch event in Birmingham, Rein revealed that, while Epic isn't going to take up the task itself, one of its many engine licensees is currently trying to port the ultra-popular engine onto the Wii.

"I know one of our licensees who's giving it a shot," Rein told Kikizo. "It's their own port, in the same way Ubisoft brought Unreal Engine 2 to the Wii."

You may remember Rein stating earlier this year that Epic has no plans to port UE3 to Wii, because "It's really designed for next-gen, high-definition." Well at least the company hasn't gone back on its word, because it still has no plans to port the engine to Wii internally.

"There's so many things we can do and are already doing, to improve our engine, on the platforms we're aiming it at, that going back and working on that [for Wii] just doesn't make sense," he said.

Would UE3 on Wii actually give us any benefits? We'd be more interested in Nintendo farming out the Galaxy tech...

acn010
November 23rd, 2007, 19:20
it may improve the graphics for the wii cause i see no difference with the gamecube

sappo
November 24th, 2007, 16:22
Wii have the power!

wiggy fuzz
November 24th, 2007, 19:40
nintendo never ceases to amaze me, ds and wii games pushing hardware to the absolute limits. while i think the ds has reached it's limit (recently a few games with 3d graphics on both screens - minor slowdown) i'll bet the wii still has some way to go

i want to see an rts game for the wii- age of empires

DPyro
November 25th, 2007, 23:04
Ya, theres a reason their not trying to port it themselves. Look forward to a half-assed port of the engine on Nintendo Wii systems near you!

ICE
November 25th, 2007, 23:21
Ya, theres a reason their not trying to port it themselves. Look forward to a half-assed port of the engine on Nintendo Wii systems near you!

The reason their not doing it there selves is because they want hd and more power. I dont expect much out of this at all but it could be done pretty well if they actually did it themselves.